Prehistory is about to change!

The Old World is a reference to those parts of Earth known to Europeans before the voyages of Christopher Columbus; it includes Europe, Asia and Africa.

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

Ishtar

Re: Prehistory is about to change!

Post by Ishtar »

Yep, Min. That's the point of the coalition. We're expecting resistance ~ lots of it. But we're ready for them. Unity is strength an' all that.

Anyway, onwards and upwards, as they say! Since the last Newsletter, we've had several new members to the coalition, including Lutz Fiedler, the state archaeologist of Hesse in Germany, who is known for having discovered what is thought to be the earliest representation of the human form, the Venus of Tan-Tan.

Wiki quote on Venus of Tan-Tan
The Venus of Tan-Tan is an alleged artefact found in Morocco. It is 6 centimeters long quartzite rock, and has been interpreted as a depiction of the human form, gender indeterminate and faceless, dated between 300,000 and 500,000 years ago. It was discovered in 1999, during an archaeological survey by Lutz Fiedler, state archaeologist of Hesse, Germany, in a river terrace deposit on the north bank of the Draa River a few kilometers south of the Moroccan town of Tan-Tan.

It and its contemporary, the Venus of Berekhat Ram, have been claimed as the earliest representations of the human form.

There is some controversy amongst archaeologists as to its nature and origin. To its discoverer and others, e.g., Robert Bednarik [1], the object had a general human-like shape that was accentuated by carving it with a stone-wedge; some artificial smudge stains are interpreted as remnants of red ochre pigments used by humans to further accentuate the human-like form.

For others, for instance Professor Stanley Ambrose of the University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign,[2] the rock's shape is just the result of natural weathering and erosion, which coincidentally produced a remotely human-like object.
Lutz is also the discoverer of the Erfoud manuport, which looks like a penis. This is also about 300,000 years old and here is a link to its description, comment and photo by another Pleistocene Coalition member, Jim Harrod.

There will be article in the November Newsletter (out in three weeks) on "Pre-symbolic interaction and the palaeo-ecology of religion". This will be derived from a paper which was jointly written by Lutz and PC member, Jorn Greve, a lecturer at the University of Bremen, Germany.
kbs2244

Post by kbs2244 »

That looks like a curcimsised penis.
A full fledged, foreskin removal, type of circumcision.

Are they saying circumcision was practiced in that time period?
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Unity is strength an' all that.
Correct, Ish....unfortunately the Club uses the same mantra.

Microscopic investigation of that figurine should show evidence of carving. Nature does not use chisels. Granted that they call everything they don't like a "geo-fact" it is up to the proponents to use advanced methods.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

kbs2244 wrote:That looks like a curcimsised penis.
A full fledged, foreskin removal, type of circumcision.

Are they saying circumcision was practiced in that time period?

Just because it is one of the dumbest ideas in human history does not mean that it isn't very old, kb.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Ishtar

Post by Ishtar »

Hi KBS and Min

The penis is not a carving. It is a nautiloid fossil, Orthoceras (related to squid, octopus, and Nautilus).

But it was found carefully placed among some tools in a living area, dated to 300,000 years ago. So it is conjectured that whoever collected it and carried it about with them 300,000 years ago appreciated its symbolic signficance.

Let me explain.

In shamanic herbalism, herbs are often chosen for specific ailments by the shape of their root or their flower. Shamans see the shape as a message from the spirit of the plant to humans about its potential usage. For instance, red clover is said to nourish the blood line ~ not the blood, necessarily, but the blood line. I know that sounds over-simplistic to a scientific mind. However, the purpose of my explaining about the use of red clover is not to try to convince anyone that shamanic herbalism is a better system of healthcare, but to give an example of how the shamanic mind views the natural world.

So once you have this understanding, you can see that a penis-shaped fossil would have symbolic meaning and was probably considered to be a fertility totem. And then once you can see it that way, you can also understand that this means that early man was capable of understanding the aesthetic and thinking symbolically ~ in other words, these are advanced cognitive features ~ and that's the point.

Then you have to ask yourself, where does that leave the beliefs of the Darwinists that cognitively-speaking, man is progressing? (I use the word 'beliefs' and not 'scientific theories' deliberately.)
kbs2244

Post by kbs2244 »

OK

Even if it is a naturally occurring object,
it still looks like a foreskin removed circumcised penis.

Without a real penis that has undergone that treatment to compare it too how would it be recognized as a penis?

And, presumably because of that similarity, been thought valuable in some way.

(I will admit some lack of knowledge of the appearance of an un-circumcised penis.
Even with communal showers in middle and high school, the white, suburban, middle class environment I grew up in was 100% Judeo-Christian in this custom.)
Ishtar

Post by Ishtar »

kbs2244 wrote: (I will admit some lack of knowledge of the appearance of an un-circumcised penis.
Even with communal showers in middle and high school, the white, suburban, middle class environment I grew up in was 100% Judeo-Christian in this custom.)
So in the absence of that, KB, I guess what you're suggesting is that we're going to have fall back on my huge, broad scoped and comprehensive knowledge of the subject? :P
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

I am not touching that line!

-- George Carlin
john

Post by john »

Well, damn, sheep or coyote -

Basic physiology here..........

If you are not circumcised

Upon an erection, the foreskin recedes,

Leaving the glans fully exposed.

This, of course, puts an entirely different level of cognitive and symbolic twist

On the whole affair.

john
"Man is a marvellous curiosity. When he is at his very, very best he is sort of a low-grade nickel-plated angel; at his worst he is unspeakable, unimaginable; and first and last and all the time he is a sarcasm."

Mark Twain
kbs2244

Post by kbs2244 »

I am throwing in the white towel.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Wise decision, kb

-- George Carlin
Rokcet Scientist

Post by Rokcet Scientist »

kbs2244 wrote: (I will admit some lack of knowledge of the appearance of an un-circumcised penis.
What's Christian about circumcising penises? I'm not aware penis circumcision is a Christian custom. Jewish, yes. Christian, no. Or did I miss something?
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

The practice dates to the 6th Dynasty (Old Kingdom) thus significantly pre-dating the Jews.

-- George Carlin
Rokcet Scientist

Post by Rokcet Scientist »

Minimalist wrote:Image
Did they circumcise only white guys...?
The practice dates to the 6th Dynasty (Old Kingdom) thus significantly pre-dating the Jews.
...who apparently adopted the practice, as opposed to the Christians, who never adopted it up afaik.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Did they circumcise only white guys...?

Perhaps they turned pale when they saw the knife?

-- George Carlin