Interesting Aegean site

The Old World is a reference to those parts of Earth known to Europeans before the voyages of Christopher Columbus; it includes Europe, Asia and Africa.

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

E.P. Grondine

Interesting Aegean site

Post by E.P. Grondine »

http://www.tovima.gr/default.asp?pid=2& ... 30/08/2009

I am more than a little suspicious of the dating of this Greek site used here - note the Egyptian scarab and the headwear shown. Also the crenellation work, and what looks like an image of Astarte.

Perhaps the grave goods were reused or heirlooms.

Too bad this did not make it to the English press, with photos.

off the cuff analysis, anyone?
Last edited by E.P. Grondine on Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
E.P. Grondine

Re: Interesting Aegean site

Post by E.P. Grondine »

Another thougth: What has been the sea level rise over the last 4,000 years?
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

off the cuff analysis, anyone?

Its Greek to me.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Rokcet Scientist

Post by Rokcet Scientist »

E.P. Grondine wrote:Another thougth: What has been the sea level rise over the last 4,000 years?
You may want to activate the ocean layer in Google Earth, and inspect it. It's interesting to note that what today is the submerged continental plain (the light blue parts) used to be dry land because of sea level variations and tectonic 'push-ups' (mountain ranges and highlands) and 'sinkers' (valleys, lowlands, and troughs).

I have for years been looking for a graphical ocean mapping application that can display various sea levels at various points in the past, say 20 million years. Mashed with pertinent geologic/tectonic data. To reveal where coastlines ran. Because that is where homo lived.
He still does. 80% of the world's population lives within 100 miles of the sea. I.e. of the coast. That's of course why we need to know where the coastlines ran, back then. Because that's where homo lived.

Global population distribution:
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

I think it was Monk who had a such a graphic representation of sea level changes. It was a while ago and I can't recall for certain.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Forum Monk

Post by Forum Monk »

Minimalist wrote:I think it was Monk who had a such a graphic representation of sea level changes. It was a while ago and I can't recall for certain.
I still have the program which allows me to view the planet with any sea level I choose. It is limited in utility because I chose to reduce the view to only 10 x 10 degrees at a time in order to enhance performance. It has to crunch a lot of data from the USGS.