Ritual Human Sacrifice in Sumerian Ur

The Old World is a reference to those parts of Earth known to Europeans before the voyages of Christopher Columbus; it includes Europe, Asia and Africa.

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

Rokcet Scientist

Ritual Human Sacrifice in Sumerian Ur

Post by Rokcet Scientist »

At Ur, Ritual Deaths That Were Anything but Serene
Published: October 26, 2009

A new examination of skulls from the royal cemetery at Ur, discovered in Iraq almost a century ago, appears to support a more grisly interpretation than before of human sacrifices associated with elite burials in ancient Mesopotamia, archaeologists say.
Palace attendants, as part of royal mortuary ritual, were not dosed with poison to meet a rather serene death. Instead, a sharp instrument, a pike perhaps, was driven into their heads.

Archaeologists at the University of Pennsylvania reached that conclusion after conducting the first CT scans of two skulls from the 4,500-year-old cemetery. The cemetery, with 16 tombs grand in construction and rich in gold and jewels, was discovered in the 1920s. A sensation in 20th century archaeology, it revealed the splendor at the height of the Mesopotamian civilization.

The recovery of about 2,000 burials attested to the practice of human sacrifice on a large scale. At or even before the demise of a king or queen, members of the court — handmaidens, warriors and others — were put to death. Their bodies were usually arranged neatly, the women in elaborate headdress, the warriors with weapons at their side. [...]
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/27/scien ... ef=science
archaeo

Re: Ritual Human Sacrifice in Sumerian Ur

Post by archaeo »

Or, they emptied brains as part of mummification.
circumspice

Post by circumspice »

archaeo wrote:Or, they emptied brains as part of mummification.
Mesopotamians didn't use mummification in their burial practices.
"Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test." ~ Robert G. Ingersoll

"Damn with faint praise, assent with civil leer, and, without sneering, teach the rest to sneer." ~ Alexander Pope
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Shoving a pike into someone's head does seem like an effective way to kill them, though.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
kbs2244

Post by kbs2244 »

All this is based on 2 of 4500 skulls?
That is a pretty small sample.

I don’t know the word for it, but is being killed and buried with royalty a “sacrifice?”
I always thought of a sacrifice as something offered to a god.

“Shoving a pike into someone's head does seem like an effective way to kill them, though.”
You are right about that.
The current practice in slaughter houses is to use an air powered stainless steel pin about 1/8 by 6 inches.
They put it right between the eyes.
The animals are dead before their knees hit the ground.

So, it is pretty “humane.”
Rokcet Scientist

Post by Rokcet Scientist »

kbs2244 wrote:I don’t know the word for it, but is being killed and buried with royalty a “sacrifice?”
I always thought of a sacrifice as something offered to a god.
It is a sacrifice to the king, so that he may have his royal entourage serving him in the afterlife.
Kings, as you know, were considered to be gods (like concurrent Pharaohs were).
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

It's good to be the king!
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin