Humans In Britain 800k YBP

The Old World is a reference to those parts of Earth known to Europeans before the voyages of Christopher Columbus; it includes Europe, Asia and Africa.

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

Digit

Re: Humans In Britain 800k YBP

Post by Digit »

I seem to remember you castigating me some time ago for 'assumptions' RS, science, you said, was about facts, evidence etc.
I try to run a level playing field.

Roy.
First people deny a thing, then they belittle it, then they say it was known all along! Von Humboldt
Rokcet Scientist

Post by Rokcet Scientist »

Digit wrote:I seem to remember you castigating me some time ago for 'assumptions' RS, science, you said, was about facts, evidence etc.
I try to run a level playing field.
Only when it suits you, it seems. Because you ignore 'facts' and 'evidence' like Charlie's thousands of handaxes, Valsequillo, Topper, etc. etc.
Digit

Post by Digit »

Rubbish! I have not ignored them! To use your argument the existance of HSN in Europe is a substantial argument for their existance in the Americas!
You have not offered a shred of evidence to support you view, does Charlie support your contention? I think not.

Roy.
First people deny a thing, then they belittle it, then they say it was known all along! Von Humboldt
Rokcet Scientist

Digit wrote:does Charlie support your contention? I think not.
Now there's an assumption...! :lol:
Digit

Post by Digit »

Prove me wrong then. Meantime I'll give you one to chew on, your assumption that Hyena crap demonstrates a hot climate. Wrong again!

Roy.
Rokcet Scientist

Digit wrote:Meantime I'll give you one to chew on, your assumption that Hyena crap demonstrates a hot climate. Wrong again!
Is it? Maybe it's me, but I associate hyenas with tropical climates. Unless you can show me different.
Digit

Post by Digit »

Certainly, since you ask. The species of Hyena is not mentioned, possibly not known, but the Spotted Hyena is an Asian species in its origins and apparently roamed the ice age tundra!

Roy.
Rokcet Scientist

Digit wrote:Certainly, since you ask. The species of Hyena is not mentioned, possibly not known, but the Spotted Hyena is an Asian species in its origins and apparently roamed the ice age tundra!
The question is: was that tundra in an ice age when that spotted Asian hyena roamed there, or was it tropical? After all we have a full precession cycle every 27,5 thousand years so I wouldn't be surprised to find that tundra was in its hot cycle when that hyena lived there.

Of course if it was a full ice age maybe the hyena was a cold-adapted version. Like the woolly mammoth and the woolly rhinoceros were cold-weather variants of their tropical kin.
Last edited by Rokcet Scientist on Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Digit

Post by Digit »

According to my reading, cold.

Roy.