Neanderthal and Human Interbreeding Accepted?

The Old World is a reference to those parts of Earth known to Europeans before the voyages of Christopher Columbus; it includes Europe, Asia and Africa.

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

hardaker

Re: Neanderthal and Human Interbreeding Accepted?

Post by hardaker »

Cookie good.

Here's a local tv piece on the bales.
Willits Community Television
http://www.willitstv.org/
Episode 18 -- first 5 min after intro.
Chris Hardaker
The First American: The Suppressed Story of the People Who Discovered the New World [ https://www.amazon.com/First-American-S ... 1564149420 ]
circumspice

Post by circumspice »

hardaker wrote:Cookie good.

Here's a local tv piece on the bales.
Willits Community Television
http://www.willitstv.org/
Episode 18 -- first 5 min after intro.

Nice video. Have you considered using bales of hay for building a raised bed garden? What I mean is to use the bales to frame a bed and fill it with soil. I have plenty of soil, but it's not very deep in the area where I plan to set up my garden and there are oodles of flat plates of limestone rock just beneath the surface of the soil. Rather than try to remove all the huge flat plates of rock from the area where I want to start a garden, I plan to build raised beds. (a couple of the plates of rock that I extracted from the soil are roughly 4'x4'x8"! :shock: I use one as the landing for my back door and I plan to use the other to make a potting table) By using bales of hay for the framework of my beds, I won't have to worry much about crop rotation either. All I will need to do is tear the beds down and start with fresh bales and soil. The old bales and soil will be moved to areas needing soil. Now all I need to do is devise a method to thwart the deer and other critters who want to feast in my garden. :x
"Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test." ~ Robert G. Ingersoll

"Damn with faint praise, assent with civil leer, and, without sneering, teach the rest to sneer." ~ Alexander Pope
hardaker

Post by hardaker »

It's a kick, isn't it. Sure, you can use them to form a border in place of wood and put soil in the middle. In fact, that might be how the discovery happened in the first place, and the person noticed a volunteer growing out of the bale. Also, you can stack them two high, and you don't have to bend at all. We are growing tree kale out of the sides of the dang things for the winter. After only four months, I can stick my arm all the way through one, it almost seems hollow inside. And the soil that results is awfully rich.

DEER -- lightweight 1-inch netting; they hate it because it bothers the heck out of their nose. Kept them away just fine all summer.
Chris Hardaker
The First American: The Suppressed Story of the People Who Discovered the New World [ https://www.amazon.com/First-American-S ... 1564149420 ]
circumspice

Post by circumspice »

hardaker wrote:
DEER -- lightweight 1-inch netting; they hate it because it bothers the heck out of their nose. Kept them away just fine all summer.

I doubt that lightweight netting will help in my case. We're in an "Exceptional Drought" right now and the deer are starving. They are ignoring the minor annoyances and eating everything in sight.
They are so starved that they come into my yard and ignore me to fill their empty bellies. They will look at me, assess the risk and continue browsing. They only run away if I run at them yelling and
waving my arms. Someday, a buck with a big rack is probably going to charge back at me. :shock: I wonder if they will eat the bales... I'm looking into finding a supply of 'spoiled' hay or straw
bales. Besides being cheaper to buy, maybe spoiled bales will be unpalatable to the deer. I also have a problem with BIG raccoons. They're suffering from the drought too.
"Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test." ~ Robert G. Ingersoll

"Damn with faint praise, assent with civil leer, and, without sneering, teach the rest to sneer." ~ Alexander Pope
hardaker

Post by hardaker »

Hay they might eat, but nothing seems to bother strawbales but slugs. But if you keep them dry they become rodent homes. There's lots online, and I haven't heard anything about critters eating the straw. Sounds like you need a fence, at any rate.
Chris Hardaker
circumspice

Post by circumspice »

hardaker wrote:Hay they might eat, but nothing seems to bother strawbales but slugs. But if you keep them dry they become rodent homes. There's lots online, and I haven't heard anything about critters eating the straw. Sounds like you need a fence, at any rate.
I have never seen a slug in my life. My sister lives in the Pacific Northwest and she has described her struggles against the slimy critters. She said that she pretty much did what Rome did to Carthage... :shock:
She hated them so much that she ran amuck with salt and nearly rendered her garden unusable.

Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

She said that she pretty much did what Rome did to Carthage...

Those would be some tough slugs.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Barracuda

Post by Barracuda »

Here they are team mascots.

Ever hear of the fighting Bananna Slugs of the University of California at Santa Cruz?
Cognito

Post by Cognito »

Ever hear of the fighting Bananna Slugs of the University of California at Santa Cruz?
Yes, a famous mascot to be sure. Grew up in Seattle and don't miss the slugs at all - nor do I miss the rain that can arrive any day of the year with little warning. Still remember a couple of times when I was young when it rained for two months straight. Makes for a depressive atmosphere.
Natural selection favors the paranoid
circumspice

Post by circumspice »

Barracuda wrote:Here they are team mascots.

Yup, my sister calls them banana slugs when she's not using more colorful expletives to describe them. She said that they are huge, the size of an average banana. That's why she ran rampant with the salt.
She said it was very satisfying to see them dissolve into a puddle of froth. You ought to hear her describe the huge clams called goey ducks... :oops: :shock: :lol:

JustTristo

Post by JustTristo »

Minimalist wrote:Yeah, I'm not sure how you did that, E.P. but whatever, I agree with Dig so no real harm done.

We've previously been through the vitamin D absorption discussion...and if it was a "survival issue" then dark-skinned people who moved north would have died from vitamin D deficiency before they had a chance to breed and evolve into lighter skinned beings. Then we get the "protection from heavy sunlight" idea....except Egyptian paintings show a marked difference in skin tone between Nubians and Egyptians and they shared a common border. The region was desert except for the Nile. Both populations would have been equally exposed to the sun.
The portraits of different people's done by the Egyptians just show what the Egyptians saw what the typical Egyptian, Nubian, Libyan or Asian (Canaanite) looked like to the Egyptians. If a modern person was to say what was the skin color of the typical Libyan, Egyptian, Sudanese or Syria. Odds would be likely we would see Libyans and Syrians as having olive skin, Egyptians with Brown Skin and Sudanese as Black. However in all groups there are individuals lighter or darker would be considered "typical". Much the same was true in ancient times.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Egyptian art was always highly stylized....except for the Amarna period.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin