Neanderthal and Human Interbreeding Accepted?

The Old World is a reference to those parts of Earth known to Europeans before the voyages of Christopher Columbus; it includes Europe, Asia and Africa.

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

Barracuda

Neanderthal and Human Interbreeding Accepted?

Post by Barracuda »

"Between 1 and 4 per cent of the DNA of modern non-Africans is of Neanderthal origin"

http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg2 ... nline-news

So I guess that Neanderthal and human interbreeding is now accepted as fact.

It was not that long ago I read that it had been disproved by genetic studies.

I want to get my DNA tested. I have several tell tale signs. Like my build, and a pronounced occipital lobe on the back of my head.

People always call me a Neanderthal likes its a bad thing.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Re: Neanderthal and Human Interbreeding Accepted?

Post by Minimalist »

It was not that long ago I read that it had been disproved by genetic studies

The OOA crowd is still reeling from the results of the Neanderthal Genome Project. Eventually they will counterattack. They won't give up the ghost this easily.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Kleopatra

Post by Kleopatra »

Barracuda wrote:"Between 1 and 4 per cent of the DNA of modern non-Africans is of Neanderthal origin"

http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg2 ... nline-news

So I guess that Neanderthal and human interbreeding is now accepted as fact.

It was not that long ago I read that it had been disproved by genetic studies.

I want to get my DNA tested. I have several tell tale signs. Like my build, and a pronounced occipital lobe on the back of my head.

People always call me a Neanderthal likes its a bad thing.
:lol: :twisted: :mrgreen:

I have always believed there was a little Neanderthal in all of us--or some of us anyway! And I am proud of it!!

Like you, I too have some of the tell-tale signs, chief among which is an almost total lack of forehead. Limited cranial capacity maybe, but I still take great pride in my 33xUncle Ogg!! :P
One thing about the past,
It is likely to last.
Some of it is horrid and some sublime,
And there is more of it all the time.~~Ogden Nash
Digit

Post by Digit »

HSN had a larger cranial capacity then us Kleo. The idea of two separate races has been unsurportable for many years, DNA only added another layer of evidence.
The 4% may not sound a great deal, but it depends on what that 4% does!
A bit like the thumb, a small body part but with a great contribution.
HSN probably gave us lighter skin colouring, blue eyes, red hair and freckles. It is also possible that they gave us art and philosphy.

Roy.
First people deny a thing, then they belittle it, then they say it was known all along! Von Humboldt
E.P. Grondine

Post by E.P. Grondine »

Barracuda wrote: People always call me a Neanderthal likes its a bad thing.
Heard from GEICO yet?
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

:lol:

In case our British cousins don't get the reference.

Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Digit

Post by Digit »

Continuing on this thread I wonder if anyone can help me?
Cave art, specifically France and Spain such as the Chauvet Cave and Lascaux Caves, I have been trying to find out if any of the paintings show hunting scenes or wounded animals, anyone know?

Roy.
First people deny a thing, then they belittle it, then they say it was known all along! Von Humboldt
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Nope. Nothing about it mentioned here.

http://www.metmuseum.org/toah/hd/lasc/hd_lasc.htm

-- George Carlin
Digit

Post by Digit »

Which would seem to eliminate the 'hunting magic' idea I think.

Roy.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

We can't ever know what they were thinking.

-- George Carlin
Digit

Post by Digit »

True Min, but the reason I asked was because I was curious as to whether there were depictions of arrows or spears.

Roy.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Sheer speculation but perhaps more like trying to capture the animal's spirit? More of a totem?

Walk into one a modern church and they have a delightful sculpture of a guy hanging on a cross. Does that mean they want to be like him?

-- George Carlin
Digit

Post by Digit »

The reason I asked Min is that according to accepted chronology the work was done by HSS, and according to accepted understanding arrows would mean HSS and spears HSN.

Roy.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Makes sense...and the fact that they did not depict their victories suggests something else was going on.

http://www.themystica.com/mystica/artic ... nimism.htm

Perhaps they were merely celebrating the spirits of the animals that inhabited their world not their deaths?

We need Ishtar for this one. I'm sure she has a point of view.

-- George Carlin
Digit

Post by Digit »

I think I'm not explaining myself very well.
I want to know who painted them. I was hoping that there were imagies with either arrows or spears as a possible means of establishing whether the artists were HSN or HSS.

Roy.