This just in

The Old World is a reference to those parts of Earth known to Europeans before the voyages of Christopher Columbus; it includes Europe, Asia and Africa.

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

E.P. Grondine

This just in

Post by E.P. Grondine »

Tiompan

Re: This just in

Post by Tiompan »

Wiped out everybody , except the engravers ?
George
oldarchystudent

Post by oldarchystudent »

Well - if that's the best picture they have, I don't see the comet. I do see a couple of things that look like flags which make me wonder if this isn't a depiction of a royal hunt.
My karma ran over my dogma.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

I see a very handsome deer type animal and a guy on a horse. Also, a couple of smudges.

Ever heard this joke, E.P.?

A guy goes to a shrink and has a Rohrshact test done.

The shrink shows him the first ink blot and the guys says " I see a couple screwing."

The shrink shows the next picture and the guys says " Also, a couple screwing."

The shrink says "you have an obsession about sex."

The guys says: Me? You're the one with all the dirty pictures!
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
circumspice

Post by circumspice »

Poor quality, amateurish photography. Poor quality scientific reporting. There should have been several photographic views, taken from different angles, in different light conditions, of the rock art/engraving in question. And I agree, the deer-like animal is handsomely portrayed.
"Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test." ~ Robert G. Ingersoll

"Damn with faint praise, assent with civil leer, and, without sneering, teach the rest to sneer." ~ Alexander Pope
E.P. Grondine

Post by E.P. Grondine »

Yes, I can agree with all of your comments.

OAS, the comet is shown on the left in white. Note the very tight nucleus drawn at its base.
I had trouble seeing it at first.
The square "flag" alongside the particular species shown is a very strange combination - something I certainly did not expect, but there it is...
I have no idea what the rectangle to the right indicates.
The 1 person shown does not look "anxious" to me.
Perhaps there is more of this petrograph which was not shown in this article.

Based on your experiences in the US, you can imagine what Chinese archaeologists usually have for budgets and tools at small sites...
E.P. Grondine

Post by E.P. Grondine »

I received this update

Hello Ed,

I tried to post additional info on the ancient Chinese impact to meteorite-list but failed as usual. I'll have to tweak my settings a bit more.

Anyway, you may be interested in further info below.

http://www.sott.net/articles/show/23413 ... orth-China (originally from Xinhua.net)

Hohho -- A 5,000-year old rock carving in north China's Inner Mongolia Autonomous Region depicts a falling meteor, said archaeologists on Saturday.

A rock on the side of Dahei Mountain 大黑山 in the city of Chifeng 赤峰市( 42°15'28.14"N, 118°53'12.68"E), also known as Ulanhad, about 350 kl NE of Beijing, has images of people, domed houses and a fire ball with a long tail falling from the sky engraved on it, said Wu Jiacai, head of the Inner Mongolia rock paintings protection association.

"I believe it shows prehistoric people returning at dusk from a hunting trip to their domed houses, as a meteor falls from the sky," Wu shared his findings at the 6th Hongshan Cultural Forum that runs from August 25 to 27.

He added that in the same location several years ago, another set of carvings were found showing people fleeing, snakes slithering and birds flying away, which might be what happened after the meteor hit the earth.
----------
Wu Jiacai has been quite active in that area. He previously found a carving of the Big Dipper.

http://hua.umf.maine.edu/China/astronom ... 6724w.html

In 2006, Xinhua News reported a find made by Wu Jiacai in Inner Mongolia. During an expedition to Baimiaozi Mountain near Chifeng City in the northwest, a stone, 310 centimeters long, was found on which had been carved 19 stars. The shape of the Big Dipper or Plough was on the north side of the stone. The stars are round indentations in the rock, as if someone had used a blunt instrument and ground out the shapes. The carving style is consistent with the Neolithic cultures. The shape of the Dipper is consistent with estimates of the star positions about 10,000 years ago. The carvings were found in the area where many artifacts from the Hongshan Culture dating to about 4000 BC have been found. Paintings on nearby rocks may date to the same period, but they have not been verified. They depict sun images as well as horses.

--------
The link below takes you to the original article in Chinese. If you run it through Google Translate, you can get a pretty good idea of the content.

http://www.nmg.xinhuanet.com/xwzx/2011- ... 560821.htm

=========

Regards

Robert A. Juhl, Tokyo
Tiompan

Post by Tiompan »

But no pic of the markings said to represent the Big Dipper .

George
E.P. Grondine

Post by E.P. Grondine »

This just in from the meteorite list:

Hi E.P. and list,

The picture used in the article does show petroglyphs from Irkutsk in Russia. Thus it was used only for illustration purposes

http://translate.google.de/translate?hl ... id21881%2F

http://translate.google.de/translate?hl ... 98750.html

I would like to see the real ones.

Best wishes
Martin
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

"I believe it shows prehistoric people returning at dusk from a hunting trip to their domed houses, as a meteor falls from the sky," Wu shared his findings at the 6th Hongshan Cultural Forum that runs from August 25 to 27.
George's point is well taken, if it was an impact how far away was the artist from the blast zone?
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
E.P. Grondine

Post by E.P. Grondine »

Hi min,

I don't know.

Without the communications network and clearing house that used to exist for impact research, it will probably be at least a month before this is known, and pictures of the new find circulated, along with the geological data.

George, from what I can make out, the Big Dipper was on a petrograph found earlier.
Tiompan

Post by Tiompan »

E.P. It's quite common in rock art studies to hear about representations of constellations etc . but when you
actually get to see them they are far from convincing .
Orions belt ,i.e. a slightly skewed staight line of three (never the whole constellation), Pleaides , an amorphous bunch of 6 or 7 cup marks
are the usual fare .I'm not holding my breath .

George
E.P. Grondine

Post by E.P. Grondine »

Yeah, George -

This one is not mine, so like everyone else I'll just have to see what he's talking about.

Now my own finds of impact petroglyphs are unmistakable and beyond refutation.
They'll be depicted in the second edition of "Man and Impact in the Americas", along with
geological and archaeological proof for each impact.

min - We had this guy Dennis Cox posting at the Tusk - every circular feature he saw had to be from impact, and further it had to be from the YD. He was finally thrown off. But I suppose if he can keep his obsession going, someday he might actually stumble across a real geobleme.

There's another fellow, Thomas Lee Elfridge, who has tied Northeastern craters into the YD climate transition. Again the craters HAVE to be from the YD, and he ignores the archaeological evidence and the kill zones for craters that large.

Then we have the real nuts, like Signs of The Times, and that's one of the saner ones.

And a lot of people who know nothing of orbital dynamics trying to find a comet with an orbital period so that it will hit in 2012,

And then there's archaeologists pretending to be geologists. Better put, archaeologists trying to learn enough geology to be able to deny that any impact occurred at the YD. These guys are unaware of the work on the YD boundary by the paleontologists.

And NASA is filled with a lot of Mars Nuts, who hope the problem will just go away, so that they can get on with the essential task of manned flight to Mars.

Now what was that about sex? Yes, I remember sex - it has something to do with women.
Tiompan

Post by Tiompan »

E.P. Grondine wrote: Now my own finds of impact petroglyphs are unmistakable and beyond refutation.
It will be a first and i'm still not holding my breath .
George
War Arrow

Post by War Arrow »

E.P. Grondine wrote: And a lot of people who know nothing of orbital dynamics trying to find a comet with an orbital period so that it will hit in 2012,
They might do just as well to take a closer look at the Mayan calendar rather than just taking it for granted that whatever drug-addled shaved chimp came up with that date/prophecy managed to stay off crack long enough that day to get his sums right, OR (and I realise this makes me a dangerous radical) they could even go to that country and talk to some Maya seeing as they're still actually very much with us.

Pardon the testiness. That 2012 stuff make Hulk angry.