Who wrote the Bible?

The Old World is a reference to those parts of Earth known to Europeans before the voyages of Christopher Columbus; it includes Europe, Asia and Africa.

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

kbs2244

Re: Who wrote the Bible?

Post by kbs2244 »

Maybe.
But it is a big circle.
And sometimes the trip is the point, not the destination.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

There is nothing wrong with a discussion. The trouble with true believers is that one cannot have such a discussion.

I just finished reading a fascinating little book called "Did Mohammed Exist" by Robert Spencer. The answer is - "probably not at least not as he is portrayed in the koran or the hadiths." What do you think the odds are of a discussion with a bunch of muslims about that?
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
uniface

Post by uniface »

It's always other side who are disparaged as "true believers."

People are hardwired for belief. We're pleased to imagine otherwise (about ourselves, at least), but this changes nothing. Our behavior gives us away.

Disbelief is the "tails" side of "belief." Underlying all the rationalisations, Evolutionists believe in Evolution just as fanatically as the Creationists they're arguing with believe in God/Intelligent Design.

We're ALL bozos on this bus. :lol:
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

There are museums full of evidence for evolution.

What do the creatards have to show that all life began 6,000 years ago in the middle east. Oh, yeah.... they have an old book that says so.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
uniface

Post by uniface »

It's easy to look reasonable when you cherry pick the silliest claim out of the spectrum of opposing views and pretend it's a representative example of the whole body of thought you're taking exception to.

As you seem to have noticed :wink:

Repeat transmission : when everybody involved is operating in Belief mode, the best you can hope for is interesting insights turning up -- food for thought : some signal in the noise.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Um...they keep making it.

Along with talking snakes, earth covering floods, dinosaurs and man, and the sun standing still in the sky.

I'm not making this shit up, my friend.

-- George Carlin
uniface

Post by uniface »

OK.

I figured you'd be referring to Intelligent Design.

My bad :?
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

ID is nothing but creationism in disguise.

My problem with both forms is that they never feel the obligation to demonstrate any evidence that their god exists. They try to take that as a given.

It is NOT a given.

-- George Carlin
uniface

Post by uniface »

Third Law of Thermodynamics.

Complex things deteriorate into simple things.

Simple things don't spontaneously get more complex and sophisticated.

Alleging that everything just "happened," while cruising a one-way street in the wrong direction is on a par with "the dog ate my homework." Neither is "provable."

They're both beliefs, but ID is the more plausible one.

And that's as good as it gets. :mrgreen:
uniface

Post by uniface »

Michael Rivero wrote:If you program a computer to solve the square root of two, it will keep working at the problem it until it runs out of resources and crashes. The smartest computer in the world is not intelligent enough to recognize futility; that some problems cannot be solved and that the best thing to do is quit before you destroy yourself.
Seems appropriate here :)
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

And that's as good as it gets.
And it is no where near good enough.

Provide actual evidence that your god exists....hey, I'll be charitable, provide evidence that ANY god exists and you can proceed. Otherwise, what you are spouting is simply religion.

And religion is bullshit.

-- George Carlin
uniface

Post by uniface »

As is the allegation that it is -- neither being susceptible of "proof," both are equally arbitrary and subjective.

Pot, meet kettle :lol:
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

He who makes the positive statement that there is a god bears the burden of proving it.

My position is that the typical "evidence" put forward by believers does not meet the grade.

-- George Carlin
kbs2244

Post by kbs2244 »

"He who makes the positive statement that there is a god bears the burden of proving it."

This why O J is walking around a free, if a bit poorer, man.
dannan14

Post by dannan14 »

kbs2244 wrote:"He who makes the positive statement that there is a god bears the burden of proving it."

This why O J is walking around a free, if a bit poorer, man.
Walking around free? When did he get out? There are still 5 years until he's eligible for parole.