Something to Look Forward to

The Old World is a reference to those parts of Earth known to Europeans before the voyages of Christopher Columbus; it includes Europe, Asia and Africa.

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Re: Something to Look Forward to

Post by Minimalist »

Alex wasn't cremated. Maybe he was a style changer?
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Ernie L

Post by Ernie L »

«On November 22nd, the Minister of Culture will give an interview about the findings and the works that will be undertaken next.
«On November 29th chief archaeologist Ms. Katerina Peristeri will present the results of the excavation in the Auditorium of the Ministry of Culture in Athens.»
Regards Ernie
circumspice

Post by circumspice »

Minimalist wrote:Alex wasn't cremated. Maybe he was a style changer?

Alexander wasn't cremated in accordance with Macedonian tradition because there was a competition among his generals to gain possession of his body, somewhat as a relic... I would imagine that he had expected to have his body treated in the traditional manner. Some legends say that Alexander's body was preserved in honey.
"Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test." ~ Robert G. Ingersoll

"Damn with faint praise, assent with civil leer, and, without sneering, teach the rest to sneer." ~ Alexander Pope
MichelleH
Site Admin

Post by MichelleH »

Frankly, this guy just needs to shut the hell up and let the research get done......

The Associated Press
Posted: Saturday, November 22, 2014, 9:50 AM

AMPHIPOLIS, Greece (AP) - Officials say the vast ancient burial mound at Amphipolis in Greece could contain more than one dead.

Greek Culture Minister Costas Tasoulas said Saturday scientists have started the second phase of excavation at the burial site, dating back to Alexander the Great's reign in the late 4th century B.C. He said scientists are searching for possible additional burial chambers below the splendid, three-chamber tomb discovered in August.

He said there is still a long way to go to examine the findings from the first phase of the excavation. Anthropologists will try to identify the skeleton's gender and age, but warn the full identity might never be known.

Meanwhile archaeologists are still uncovering the multicolored decorations found inside the tomb. Both projects are expected to take several months.
We've Got Fossils - We win ~ Lewis Black

Red meat, cheese, tobacco, and liquor...it works for me ~ Anthony Bourdain

Atheism is a non-prophet organization.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

When did any politician just shut the hell up?
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Follow up.

I must have missed the announcement of this.

http://www.pappaspost.com/austerity-mea ... tomb-site/
Human bones found inside a boxlike grave in an inner chamber raised speculation that the tomb may have belonged to one of Alexander’s generals, or perhaps even his mother.

But analysis of the bones has since identified they belong to five different individuals.

-- George Carlin
Ernie L

Post by Ernie L »

This is very disheartening. I hope the Greek people can pass through these difficult times safely and quickly.
Regards Ernie
uniface

Post by uniface »

Amen.
circumspice

Post by circumspice »

Minimalist wrote:Follow up.

I must have missed the announcement of this.

http://www.pappaspost.com/austerity-mea ... tomb-site/
Human bones found inside a boxlike grave in an inner chamber raised speculation that the tomb may have belonged to one of Alexander’s generals, or perhaps even his mother.

But analysis of the bones has since identified they belong to five different individuals.

:lol: Yeah min, you missed it.

I'm wondering if the other remains are intrusive secondary burials? Like in Egypt... After some time has passed & the original tomb has been thoroughly ransacked, it was reused maybe?
"Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test." ~ Robert G. Ingersoll

"Damn with faint praise, assent with civil leer, and, without sneering, teach the rest to sneer." ~ Alexander Pope
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Perhaps a whole family was killed in a chariot wreck and rather than separate them they just buried them in one heap?

Seems unlikely.

-- George Carlin
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

A year has gone by and here we sit.... with Greece and the tomb in roughly the same shape!

http://www.rawstory.com/2015/08/a-year- ... b-mystery/
A year on, no answers to ancient Greek tomb mystery

-- George Carlin