Nefertiti Tomb?

The Old World is a reference to those parts of Earth known to Europeans before the voyages of Christopher Columbus; it includes Europe, Asia and Africa.

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Nefertiti Tomb?

Post by Minimalist »

Many chickens being counted, few eggs have hatched.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-35831025
Egypt says a search for the resting place of the pharaonic Queen Nefertiti has revealed possible "organic material" inside empty spaces behind two walls in the tomb of Tutankhamun.

The antiquities minister said radar scans carried out in November pointed to "different things behind the walls".
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Simon21

Re: Nefertiti Tomb?

Post by Simon21 »

"Egypt says a search for the resting place of the pharaonic Queen Nefertiti has revealed possible "organic material" inside empty spaces behind two walls in the tomb of Tutankhamun."

Mice?

"The antiquities minister said radar scans carried out in November pointed to "different things behind the walls".

Amazing, similar findings have emerged from behind the walls of my neighbour's house. Could Nefertiti be buried there?
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

:lol:

Could be. I don't necessarily object to the idea that Tut died suddenly and some existing tomb was co-opted for his use. There are a few minor kings whose tombs have not been found and the idea that they may have shoved one into a corner and built a wall in front of it so they could re-cycle the tomb for Tut is not all that outlandish.

BUT. No one has yet even offered a hint as to why "Nefertiti" would have been buried in the Valley of the Kings in the first place when there was a perfectly serviceable Valley of the Queens nearby and the Egyptians certainly knew the difference.

But let's face it....Egypt needs it to be Nefertiti because the tourism industry is in a shambles since the islamic brotherhood started blowing up planes. Suddenly finding the tomb of King Podunk I is not going to be a salvation for them.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
circumspice

Post by circumspice »

Minimalist wrote:
BUT. No one has yet even offered a hint as to why "Nefertiti" would have been buried in the Valley of the Kings in the first place when there was a perfectly serviceable Valley of the Queens nearby and the Egyptians certainly knew the difference.

To date, there is no logical explanation for why Yuya & Thuya, the great-grandparents of Tut, were buried in KV46 in the Valley of the Kings. Yuya was not of the royal bloodline & possibly even of foreign descent. Thuya was possibly of the royal bloodline, but that is still unproven. Yet they were buried in the New Kingdom's royal cemetery.

I believe that the royalty of the time did as they damn well pleased, regardless of tradition or precedent. It seems to be a useless exercise in futility to try to ascribe motives or reasons to an event of such antiquity.

Maybe Nefertiti's tombs is adjacent/adjoined to Tut's... Only time & an excavation will tell us if it is or isn't. Why must there be a logical explanation when it could just as simply be the desire or whim of whomever had the power to permit it?
"Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test." ~ Robert G. Ingersoll

"Damn with faint praise, assent with civil leer, and, without sneering, teach the rest to sneer." ~ Alexander Pope
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Because Nefertiti was actually a "queen?" The thing is, she was a queen in Amarna during the Aten phase which was quickly repudiated after the death of Ahkenaten.

-- George Carlin
circumspice

Post by circumspice »

It is unknown when & where Nefertiti died. What is known is that she disappeared from public view before Akhenaten's death. Why that is, is anybody's guess. There are several theories.

And all the Akhenaten /Akhetaten faction was effectively erased from written history & memory. Akhenaten died & was buried in Akhetaten. Same for Tiye. Yet both of their burials were subsequently moved to the Valley of the Kings...

Unless there are undiscovered tombs at Tel el Amarna or in the Valley of the Kings & the Valley of the Queens, the questions will remain.

I rather admired the methodical approach that Howard Carter used to narrow the search for an undiscovered royal tomb. He used the process of elimination & the records of the previous discoveries to hone in on the location of Tut's tomb. He probably didn't much care which Pharaoh's tomb he found, other than the fact that it would be a New Kingdom Pharaoh. I think his method was borrowed somewhat from Heinrich Schliemann in that they both knew that their goal was out there somewhere, they just had to find it...

It may be premature to declare that all of the tombs in Valley of the Kings have been located & identified. There are still a few royals who haven't been accounted for. And, as always, they are still discovering royals who were unknown because of gaps in the long history of Egypt. There are still occasional discoveries of hitherto unknown royals from the Old Kingdom, Middle Kingdom, 1st & 2nd Intermediate Periods. Tut's mom was an as yet un-named full sister of Akhenaten. Egypt's Pharaonic history is a gigantic puzzle with so many missing pieces. It would be nice to see some of the blanks filled in & some of the questions answered definitively.
"Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test." ~ Robert G. Ingersoll

"Damn with faint praise, assent with civil leer, and, without sneering, teach the rest to sneer." ~ Alexander Pope
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Absolutely. And if there is a burial back there it will be the archaeological find of the century no matter who it is for just the reasons you mention. But - and this harks back to the tomb at Amphipolis - you have a poverty stricken nation which has seen its tourist industry take a hard hit in recent years and all of a sudden the hype becomes more important than the find.

A little more scientific detachment would be nice if only because if it is Podunk I he has a story to tell too.

-- George Carlin
circumspice

Post by circumspice »

Too true min. They'd be better served to stabilize their country first because the "Find of the Millennium" won't bring back tourists when it's unsafe for westerners with their big bucks to travel & sight see in those countries. Who would want to risk their personal safety when there are safer destinations?

There was a recent article about the tomb of a previously unknown queen being identified in an Old/Middle Kingdom royal cemetery. (dateline November 2015) They found out that there were three queens of the same name, with the latest being designated III. (Khentkaus)

It's always interesting when new info on a previously unknown royal is added to the list of known royals. In the case of the three Khentkaus queens, there's a lot of hair splitting & speculation.

shawomet

Post by shawomet »

Radar experts express skepticism.....

http://www.livescience.com/54218-expert ... -tomb.html
circumspice

Post by circumspice »

I checked for the promised press conference. Here's what I found:

http://luxor-news.blogspot.com/2016/04/ ... s.html?m=1

http://luxor-news.blogspot.com/2016/04/ ... n.html?m=1

Note: Nefertiti didn't worship King Tut, as stated in the press release... She worshipped Aten.

Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

"Reeves recently told The New York Times that now is a good time to visit Egypt. "For anyone interested in Egyptian history, this is the time to plan a trip, because you're not going to get jostled by others the way you would have prerevolution. And, it's also a more affordable destination because prices have dropped," Reeves said."

Right....if you don't mind getting shot at.

-- George Carlin
circumspice

Post by circumspice »

According to this article, dated 11 May 2016, she's not there.

http://www.livescience.com/54708-nefert ... -tomb.html

Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Seems appropriate.

https://youtu.be/CKBRc8zNQ30?list=RDCKBRc8zNQ30

Another blow to tourism!

-- George Carlin
circumspice

Post by circumspice »

Playing electric instruments with nary an electrical cord in sight... What's next? Lip synching?

Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

<sigh> I remember The Zombies when they were a hot new act fresh off the boat from England.

-- George Carlin