Keep Up The Good Work Boys

The Old World is a reference to those parts of Earth known to Europeans before the voyages of Christopher Columbus; it includes Europe, Asia and Africa.

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Keep Up The Good Work Boys

Post by Minimalist »

http://www.rawstory.com/2017/09/ancient ... dead-zone/
Ancient shipwrecks found in Black Sea dead zone
The Black Sea Maritime Project (MAP)—a two-year investigation of Bulgaria’s Black Sea waters—involved local and international experts, who found 60 previously lost shipwrecks spanning 2,500 years in the history of a coastline that has been port to many of Europe’s major empires.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
kbs2244

Re: Keep Up The Good Work Boys

Post by kbs2244 »

More stuff from behind the former Iron Curtin
So much area, so little western recognized work.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Archaeology is not restricted to English.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
E.P. Grondine

Post by E.P. Grondine »

"The expedition has been scouring the waters 1,800 metres (5,900ft) below the surface of the Black Sea since 2015 using an off-shore vessel equipped with some of the most advanced underwater equipment in the world. The vessel is on an expedition mapping submerged ancient landscapes which were inundated with water following the last Ice Age."

In other words, the likely X mt DNA homeland, but we'll see:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbM4vHc ... Ofte_O_Rhp
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

I suspect that the salt water will play hell with any organic remains they may find, though.

-- George Carlin
Sam Salmon

Post by Sam Salmon »

Minimalist wrote:I suspect that the salt water will play hell with any organic remains they may find, though.
I thought that deeper water in the Black Sea was an anaerobic fresh water zone.

No?

And Yes I'm aware that salt is heavier than fresh I live on the shore of the Pacific.
Simon21

Post by Simon21 »

There is an account somewhere of the "walking corpses" - prisoners shot in the Russian Civil War who were dumped in the BS. According to the story the water was indeed fresh but so polluted that the bodies did not decay rapidly and were seen to be "walking" on the sea floor.