Arboreal phase near Gobekli Tepe

The Old World is a reference to those parts of Earth known to Europeans before the voyages of Christopher Columbus; it includes Europe, Asia and Africa.

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

circumspice

Re: Arboreal phase near Gobekli Tepe

Post by circumspice »

E.P. Grondine wrote:Hi simon -

You have to remember that in North America, cultures based on nut use emerged long before those based on domesticated crops.
As a matter of fact, the nut use probably allowed a sedentary lifestyle wherein crops were domesticated.

Attempting to tell you or tiompan that two comet fragments hit at the start of the Holocene is probably a fool's errand.
But those who actually work in the field of impact studies have no problem with it.
OMG EP... ALL hominids, from ALL eras, exploited ALL food sources in their environment. They hunted or fished for animal protein & gathered plant based foods within their nomadic range. They rotated their location throughout the year by following the foods sources in season. When they tapped out food resources in one location they pulled up stakes & moved on to the next location where other food sources were becoming available for use. It would have be senseless to live in an area where wild grains grow if the grain wasn't yet ripe. They probably passed down knowledge of where the next exploitable food was located through story telling/oral transmission. I can imagine something like: "there is a place where there are berries & trout at a lake that is 5 days walk towards the rising sun from here"... Of course the use of wild foods emerged before crops & animals were domesticated... But how in the hell can a culture be 'based on nut use'? That's like saying a culture is based on pigs or pansies. Culture is a human trait, not a food source or a crop. Learn the definition of culture for Pete's sake! :shock:

A food source can drive & define a local economy but it doesn't create a culture. :roll:

cul·ture
/ˈkəlCHər/
noun
the arts and other manifestations of human intellectual achievement regarded collectively:
"20th century popular culture"
synonyms:
the arts, the humanities, intellectual achievement, literature, music, ... more
the cultivation of bacteria, tissue cells, etc., in an artificial medium containing nutrients:
"the cells proliferate readily in culture"
Powered by Oxford Dictionaries
"Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test." ~ Robert G. Ingersoll

"Damn with faint praise, assent with civil leer, and, without sneering, teach the rest to sneer." ~ Alexander Pope
Tiompan

Post by Tiompan »

The fools errand is all ours ,those who continually point out your errors through quoting where you get it wrong then providing the evidence to show your error . Doing it once is all it needs with normal people but in your case it takes multiple efforts and still it doesn't seem to sink in .

Now , can you do the same in relation to the latest evasion .
Simply provide the quote where I said something wrong ,in this case about impacts , then refute it .
You may respond but guaranteed , it will be another evasion of the question or a non sequitur .
Simon21

Post by Simon21 »

"Cultures based on nut use" must be one of he phrases of he decade.

I presume this must be a way of referring to the US population since discovery of peanut butter.
Tiompan

Post by Tiompan »

"cultures based on nut use"

There are ethnographic recordings of the tribal Billy Boys and the Conks and their descendants who used the nut ; in their argot ( ra heid ) , among other things .
Impact was all important to the culture and particularly to the associated ra doin' .
See Glasgow Kiss . And Stanley Baxter's translations .

The distinctive small , barbed and tanged arrowheads led to the tribal chant of " weearra peepil"
Last edited by Tiompan on Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
E.P. Grondine

Post by E.P. Grondine »

simon, tiompan -

Neither of you appear to be familiar with the Poverty Point site,
and the key role of pecans in sustaining those people.
Nor do either of you seem to know about he key role of hickory nuts
in the eastern Native American food supply.

I expect parallels in the eastern hemisphere.
Tiompan

Post by Tiompan »

Lol .
"you may respond but guaranteed , it will be another evasion of the question or a non sequitur ."
E.P. Grondine

Post by E.P. Grondine »

spice -
when the food supply in one area reaches a certain point,
people do not have to move as far to earn a living,
and become sedentary.
circumspice

Post by circumspice »

E.P. Grondine wrote:spice -
when the food supply in one area reaches a certain point,
people do not have to move as far to earn a living,
and become sedentary.
EP you lack the credentials to make such a statement. You're nothing more than a chicken little, has-been, hack reporter inspired by yellow journalism of the unlamented past. Since you make constant references about the need for money, your motives are evident. Why don't you take your yellow journalism to venues where it will be more appreciated? You're simply hoping that posting here will lend you the credibility that you lack.
"Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test." ~ Robert G. Ingersoll

"Damn with faint praise, assent with civil leer, and, without sneering, teach the rest to sneer." ~ Alexander Pope
Tiompan

Post by Tiompan »

Credentials ? lol .

I thought it was joke .The "earn a living " was the killer .
E.P. Grondine

Post by E.P. Grondine »

Remember me everytime you read a story about impacts from those hack reporters.
As far as money goes, NASA gets $17,000,000,000-18,000,000,000 per year,
and now spends nearly adequate amounts on impactor detection.
NASA is now turning m money into lives.
You're welcome.

Credentials? It would be nice if I wrote better.

This bbs is a tool, a new form of e-book note paper.
You get to read them first here,
I try for accuracy, and correct mistakes.
It would be nice to send Michelle some money for the use of it.
Tiompan

Post by Tiompan »

E.P. Grondine wrote:
I try for accuracy,
And fail miserably .
E.P. Grondine wrote:
and correct mistakes.
That is another mistake to add the the pile .
Simon21

Post by Simon21 »

Postby E.P. Grondine » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:06 am

simon, tiompan -

Neither of you appear to be familiar with the Poverty Point site,
and the key role of pecans in sustaining those people.
Nor do either of you seem to know about he key role of hickory nuts
in the eastern Native American food supply.

I expect parallels in the eastern hemisphere."

There's nothing to be familiar about, no one lives on pecans, human beings cannot do so and hickory nuts are wonderful things, but they again cannot sustain a human population. Lots of hazel nut shells found in the Globe excavations. 16th century Londoners however did not live on hazelnuts

Simply running around quoting mysterious sites (which on their own prove very little) and becoming ensnared in meaningless jargon are not substitutes for proper respectable research.

And who are "eastern North Americans" when they are at home - the puritans? All the native nations?
Simon21

Post by Simon21 »

I should perhaps state that I have worked in an area much subject to fantasy, illusions, ridiculous so-called theories where the misuse of evidence (archaeological and textual) has led to the same evidence being used to assert two totally different opinions. Orwell would have been delighted. The BM has had to relable the same finds at least three times.

The only way to proceed is by evidence, but if the "evidence" apparently indicates that whole peoples simply vanished overnight then it is fair to assume the conclusions being drawn are wrong and more is needed. What is not needed are weird theories which in my area have ranged from volcanic eruptions, plague etc.
Tiompan

Post by Tiompan »

E.P. Grondine wrote: Neither of you appear to be familiar with the Poverty Point site,
Another mistake .
Even on this site all you had to do was do a search and you would have come across , " The Na mounds I'm aware of are the Watson Brake , Adena ,Poverty Point , Hopewell , Effigy and Mississippian etc ,I'm not sure if they are what you are alluding ..." . But that would be too difficult . It appears you don't have a clue about Poverty Point and the diet of the builders ,of course nuts would have been part of that diet ,but a minor one .
E.P. Grondine

Post by E.P. Grondine »

Tiompan, spice -

May I suggest that you visit the nice museum at Poverty Point and get back to me on their foods?