Arboreal phase near Gobekli Tepe

The Old World is a reference to those parts of Earth known to Europeans before the voyages of Christopher Columbus; it includes Europe, Asia and Africa.

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

E.P. Grondine

Arboreal phase near Gobekli Tepe

Post by E.P. Grondine »

Well, since min did not rise to the occasion, let's see if tiompan will:

https://arm/2017/09/11500-year-old-sett ... I5SAB2p.99

"Analyses revealed that the settlement in Hasankeyf Mound dates back to 9,500 B.C.

“They hunted wild sheep the most. As for plants, we found wild peanuts, almonds and terebinth berries. It is interesting that we did not find pieces of grain or wheat. This place was a settlement before its transition to a field of agriculture or breeding,” Miyake said.

One big question is the climatic effects of the Holocene Start Impact Events in the region.
The other big question is the effects on human migration in the region due to the Holocene Start Impact Events effects on sea levels.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Re: Arboreal phase near Gobekli Tepe

Post by Minimalist »

What did I miss?
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
circumspice

Post by circumspice »

Minimalist wrote:What did I miss?

You failed to go drama queen when EP mentioned religion min...
"Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test." ~ Robert G. Ingersoll

"Damn with faint praise, assent with civil leer, and, without sneering, teach the rest to sneer." ~ Alexander Pope
circumspice

Post by circumspice »

The page was not available, so I was unable to read the article.

However, it's unlikely that they cultivated peanuts because it's a New World crop. The center of greatest diversity of the wild & domesticated varieties of peanuts is in Argentina. I have my doubts that peanuts made it over to Anatolia prior to European contact in the New World.
"Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test." ~ Robert G. Ingersoll

"Damn with faint praise, assent with civil leer, and, without sneering, teach the rest to sneer." ~ Alexander Pope
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

circumspice wrote:
Minimalist wrote:What did I miss?

You failed to go drama queen when EP mentioned religion min...

Oh, religion is never worth the effort. Bullshit is bullshit.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
E.P. Grondine

Post by E.P. Grondine »

Hi spice -

I never mention religion.
But I do mention religious texts.
You are correct that min confuses the two, and then goes drama queen.
But it appears that she has stopped doing that, which in my view is a good thing
Last edited by E.P. Grondine on Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Simon21

Post by Simon21 »

Sounds at best more like a camp than a settlement, and the reference to peanuts is interesting. Did they find popcorn and coke cups as well?
E.P. Grondine

Post by E.P. Grondine »

Simon21 wrote:Sounds at best more like a camp than a settlement, and the reference to peanuts is interesting. Did they find popcorn and coke cups as well?
Hi simon -

Always look at the food supply and seasonal variations in it.
The important part of this site is nut groves and fruit orchards.
At Gobekli Tepe they appear to have been brewing beer from some grain.
Simon21

Post by Simon21 »

Hello

Yes I think you will find all nomadic peoples eat fruits and grains (of a sort) from central Australia to the mongolian steppes.

As for the orchards it is very curious that these people apparently planted fruit trees but did not cultivate the land.

As for the beer well again that has to be proved and does not mean the peoples were not nomadic wandering following the food supply.
Tiompan

Post by Tiompan »

E.P. Grondine wrote:Well, since min did not rise to the occasion, let's see if tiompan will:

https://arm/2017/09/11500-year-old-sett ... I5SAB2p.99
E.P.
I couldn't get the link to work .
Hasankeyf is an interesting site but unless you have one of you fantasies associated with it , there is nothing to rise to .
E.P. Grondine

Post by E.P. Grondine »

Arboreal phase at Gobekli Tepe itself:

http://popular-archaeology.com/issue/fa ... gious-site
Tiompan

Post by Tiompan »

E.P. Grondine wrote:Arboreal phase at Gobekli Tepe itself:
What arboreal phase ?
There is no evidence for an any "arboreal phase " at the time of build , or certainly later .
Why even mention it ?
E.P. Grondine

Post by E.P. Grondine »

Those almonds and pistachios were important food sources that helped lead to a sedentary life style.

You know, Colin Renfreww gained a certain amount of recognition for his studies on the development of wine.
If GT shows beer production, then someone is going to acquire some recognition as well.
Tiompan

Post by Tiompan »

But why mention an arboreal phase when there was no evidence for one .
Swanz

Post by Swanz »

Peanuts at Gobekli Tepe? This indicates contact with America -- 1st, 2nd, 3rd hand or greater. This does not surprise me, since a very early variety of peanut was found in a Shang Era Chinese tomb roughly 50 years ago. The reference article about Gobekli Tepe cited in this thread is no longer available, so I can't read it for myself.