Zahi Back In The Saddle

The Old World is a reference to those parts of Earth known to Europeans before the voyages of Christopher Columbus; it includes Europe, Asia and Africa.

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Zahi Back In The Saddle

Post by Minimalist »

https://www.livescience.com/61441-searc ... -wife.html
Archaeologists Begin Search for Tomb of King Tut's Wife
Hawass, who is leading the excavations, told Live Science in July 2017 that he believes a tomb is there. "We are sure there is a tomb there, but we do not know for sure to whom it belongs," he told Live Science in an email at the time. He later cautioned that until excavations were conducted, archaeologists couldn't be certain of the tomb's existence. "It is all possibilities until we excavate," he wrote that month in a follow-up email.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
circumspice

Re: Zahi Back In The Saddle

Post by circumspice »

He's a bombastic survivor. (and a legend in his own mind) The only thing that truly sets him apart from the rest of the herd is what is probably a genuine love for Egypt's historic past, its monuments & artifacts. He'd be amazing if he didn't love himself so much.
"Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test." ~ Robert G. Ingersoll

"Damn with faint praise, assent with civil leer, and, without sneering, teach the rest to sneer." ~ Alexander Pope
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

He does love to hear himself talk.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
shawomet

Post by shawomet »

I just posted the "Secrets of the Dead" episode dealing with the recent discovery of a huge cavity in the Great Pyramid. I mention it here because it's safe to say in that story it's very clear Hawass is a huge pain in the ass, as well as making an ass of himself....
kbs2244

Post by kbs2244 »

circumspice has got him pegged.

But that is the problem
(If it is one.)
He is just plain good.

Not just in science, but in internal and international politics and marketing.
You have to admire someone that can maintain a tourist industry in the midst of fatal street riots.

A classic case of someone you love to hate.
E.P. Grondine

Post by E.P. Grondine »

kbs2244 wrote:
But that is the problem
(If it is one.)
He is just plain good.

You have to admire someone that can maintain a tourist industry in the midst of fatal street riots.

Zahi did and has done a wonderful job for the Egyptian people,
and not for his personal benefit.

Now you may hate him because he does not give you the answers you want,
but that is because Zahi does his job,
and the answers you want are simply wrong.
E.P. Grondine

Post by E.P. Grondine »

circumspice wrote: The only thing that truly sets him apart from the rest of the herd is what is probably a genuine love for Egypt's historic past, its monuments & artifacts. He'd be amazing if he didn't love himself so much.
spice,

Archaeology does not take place in a vacuum.

A part of Zahi's job has been to do public relations for Egypt' antiquities,
to support Egypt's tourist industry.

Any person will develop a public personna
as result of dealing with those responsibilities.

Let us hope that whoever takes over from Zahi
does as good a job as he did.
Simon21

Post by Simon21 »

"Zahi did and has done a wonderful job for the Egyptian people,
and not for his personal benefit."

Well said. Doubtless his personality is not spotless, but that is hardly the point. He speaks up for Egypt and sees no need to adopt a crawling tone to foreigners who have not exactly treated his country's archaeology with respect
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

kbs2244 wrote:circumspice has got him pegged.

But that is the problem
(If it is one.)
He is just plain good.

Their tourist industry has been anything but "maintained." And it isn't Hawass' fault. He was out for a long time after having been closely tied to the Mubarak government. They have a long way to go to overcome this, though.

http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/featur ... 41421.html
The number of tourists visiting Egypt has plummeted from 14.7 million to 5.4 million in 2016, according to the United Nations World Tourism Organisation, or UNWTO, costing the country billions.

-- George Carlin
E.P. Grondine

Post by E.P. Grondine »

Yes, min, a very well calculated terrorist attack.

But let me remind you of the underlying forces which lead to this kind of action.

The majority of Egyptians greatly resent Israel's continuing theft of Palestinian lands.
The Leaders of Egypt know that given Israel's over whelming military strength,
their courses of action are very limited, and restricted.
Thus you get rather constant chaos in many of the Moslem nations in the area,
and not only Egypt.

Here's hoping that someone comes up with a way out of this situation,
and peace will finally be allowed to come.

But I am quite gloomy.
We could have had peace under Camp David accords.
We could have had peace under the Oslo accords.
If peace had of come under either of those,
the fanatic bin Laden would never had gained enough support to operate,
and there would have been no 911 attacks, and no wars in Afghanistan or Iraq.

If you have any good news to share, then please do.
Perhaps I am not seeing it through my gloom.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

E.P., if history has taught us anything it is that peace breaks out when people are tired of war.

The Sunni and Shia are not tired of killing each other yet.

The Palestinians and Israelis are not tired of killing each other yet.

The warring factions in Sub-Saharan Africa are not tired of killing each other yet.

The Pakistanis and the Indians are just waiting for an excuse to start killing each other in great numbers.

Sadly, the list goes on.

Frankly, I see things getting worse, not better.

-- George Carlin
E.P. Grondine

Post by E.P. Grondine »

We are getting a long way from Zahi, but given the general environment in which he worked and works...

You also have he Moslem-Hindu conflict in S.E. Asia.

What we're watching in even larger terms is a race between science. with its weapons of mass destruction,
and "religion" and "laws", our social sciences and social technologies.

What few think about is the joker, impact events, and the possibility of those affecting these conflicts, or setting them off.
It has happened before,
and we also need to take into account super volcanoes,
though impacts are usually far more stunning.
E.P. Grondine

Post by E.P. Grondine »

Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Yep. The only thing the Palestinians and the Israelis agree on is the desirability of separating xtian pilgrims from their money.

BTW, E.P. you scared me when you said "This just in" following your closing comment in the prior post about impacts. I thought you were going to tell us that a great big rock was coming to smash us.

Which, in the age of Trump, might not be the worst thing.

-- George Carlin
Simon21

Post by Simon21 »

If you have any good news to share, then please do.
Perhaps I am not seeing it through my gloom."

There is rarely any need for despair. I remember when rulers of a certain African country asserted that blacks were only good for hewing wood and drawing water - and were reinforced in this attitude by Western rulers obsessed with Communism. Even to the extent of excusing the mass murder of school children.

I remember standing in assembly being read a section from Mao's red book (in English) and being told it was all our duty to fight the "communiss" - now we go to China as tourists (and promptly get food poisoning so Mao might be having some revenge).

So things can and do change often for the better. We live longer, we are better fed and can travel (by proxy) on the planets.

Personally one of the worst times was shortly after Holocaust memorial day was instituted - and France and Belgium, after solemn ceremonies looked on benignly as a hideous genocide took part in Rwanda - both countries (and the UK unwittingly) offering asylum to the killers leaders. That told you all you needed to know about what human beings learn from history