Roman DNA

The Old World is a reference to those parts of Earth known to Europeans before the voyages of Christopher Columbus; it includes Europe, Asia and Africa.

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

Simon21

Re: Roman DNA

Post by Simon21 »

E.P. Grondine wrote:
Dr. Kennett and his correspondents, most of the people working on pre-clovis sites, are archaeologists.

simon wrote: Whatever the future, I am concerned with the past and no source even slightly mentions a bursting asteroid in the fifth century.

Well, if you can not read English,
specifically the English of the accepted standard translations,
then you are going to have a real problem understanding the past.

YES, THIS IS A F*****G SEAL, AND THERE WERE NONE OF THEM IN GAUL OR GERMANIA
AT THE TIME THIS PIECE WAS CRAFTED-

Not Roman British archaeologists.
Well, if you can not read English,
specifically the English of the accepted standard translations,
then you are going to have a real problem understanding the past.
Yeah but I can read the original Latin which you cannot which means you have little or no access to the past.

As for the iotic point abpout seals, suppose this was meant as a joke. Such ignorance.
Simon21

Post by Simon21 »

The metal craftsmen of SW Scotland.

On your next museum tour,
you may want to take note of the early stone anvils,
in particular the early triangular ones for fine work.

Go back and carefully re-read what I wrote.
I never said the Irish stole any of the Pict craftsmen's work.
Ho ho ho so all the gold jewellery in A/s Britain was made in Scotland? Is that what is being said? Wow why did they bother if the Saxons were going to steal it all?

And the scots made this jewellery using stones? Including cutting the garnets? And they used A/S styles not their "Pictish ones" as found on brooches etc? Why not give common sense a try?

ie Talahassee Ohio has a shop that sells jewelery. But it has no jewellery workshop. So according to the Grondine theory all the goods are stolen. It has a jeans shop, ditto.

My point was simple no workshops (Tiffany's) means no jewellery according to the Grondine Theory. No worlshops in Ireland so all Irish jewellery theived. I am only following your logic.

Very very silly
Simon21

Post by Simon21 »

We must always avoid caricatures when dealing with past peoples and culture.

For example the ancient Japanese did not all run around hitting enemies with swords and having tea ceremonies. The vast tidal majority were rice farmers and fishermen.

The anglo Saxons were largely small farmers, not pirates.

The Vikings were at least traders as much as invaders.

It is always nice to imagine our ancestors as having more exciting lives than ourselves but that is usually not the case.
E.P. Grondine

Post by E.P. Grondine »

simon wrote: Ho ho ho so all the gold jewellery in A/s Britain was made in Scotland? Is that what is being said?

Just the better pieces.

simon wrote: Wow why did they bother if the Saxons were going to steal it all?

I think it is likely that they did not expect them to show up.

simon wrote: I can read the original Latin

Well, if your comprehension of Latin is as poor as your comprehension of English,
then you do have a problem.

simon wrote: And the scots made this jewellery using stones?

Yep.
Its obvious you are unfamiliar with the stone molds and stone anvils
which were used by metalworkers in this period.
Did your white cane give you any problems when you wandered through those museums?

Simon21

Post by Simon21 »

Am I? I know a little bity more about metalworking than you do apparently. Tried cutting gems etc with stone stylus's? Have you? Care to explain how one does that? And these gems are inlaid not moulded. It seems meltalwork is yet another area where you know nothing.
Just the better pieces.
Oh jut the better pieces. Right. And that would be because? The fact that the vast majoroty finds have been made outside Scotland and on the contient and Ireland does not give you pause? You would kinda think that the Scots would have kept some stuff for themselves. The fact that we kow where the materials came from doesn't cause you concern?

And the As goldsmith who became a bishop and the refernces in As texts all ignored?

what is this silly obsession with Scotland? Some side effect of a stroke? I did hear a woman in NY had one and promptly started speaking with a cockney accent. Did'nt make her obsessive though.
I think it is likely that they did not expect them to show up.
Oh so they were all stolen on one raid were they? Bit odd that the gold pieces found in the AS cemeteries stretch over 100 years. Where these wondrous Scots deaf and blind or merely very stupid? Hilarious. Anothr part of the
Grondine theory. The idea that th AS did not have ships, cauldrons etc because we haven't foubd any workshops we can identify - now it appears that the early Scots could not defend themselves.
Well, if your comprehension of Latin is as poor as your comprehension of English,
then you do have a problem.
But at least I can read it and you can't. Stick to watching Game of Thrones they all speak English there.
E.P. Grondine

Post by E.P. Grondine »

Good morning, Simon -

Simon21 wrote: Am I? I know a little bity more about metalworking than you do apparently. Tried cutting gems etc with stone stylus's? Have you? Care to explain how one does that? And these gems are inlaid not moulded. It seems meltalwork is yet another area where you know nothing.

Simon, as you are the one who made the bonehead comments about the use of stone tools in metalworking,
it would appear your comments about my knowledge of it are entirely without foundation.

You have also demonstrated absolutely no interest in the metal deposits themselves.

Simon21 wrote: Oh just the better pieces. Right. And that would be because?

Bling makes for the best plunder.

Simon21 wrote: The fact that the vast majority finds have been made outside Scotland and on the continent and Ireland does not give you pause?
You would kinda think that the Scots would have kept some stuff for themselves.

Once again, there were multiple raids taking place over a long period of time.
You have shown no interest in parsing them out.

Simon21 wrote: The fact that we know where the materials came from doesn't cause you concern?

You may know where the finished pieces were found,
but what I am interested in is where they were made.

Simon21 wrote: And the Anglo Saxon goldsmith who became a bishop and the references in Anglo Saxon texts all ignored?

Perhaps another captive like Patrick, but I really do not know nor care.
Those are problems you are working on.
I have a minor interest in the Cruit, not the Anglo Saxons.

Simon21 wrote: What is this silly obsession with Scotland?

Actually, my interest is in PIE.
And now impact events.

Let me run this by you again.
Wool irritates my skin, unless very fine wool.
Scotch whiskey is too sweet for my tastes, and I really do not know good mixers for it.
I never learned to play golf.
As far as field work goes, I'd rather be troweling through tsunami deposits on Crete,
or doing field surveys in SW Turkey,.
Simon21 wrote: Oh so they were all stolen on one raid were they?

I never said that.
Once again, there were multiple raids on multiple locations taking place over a long period of time.
The plunder was also handed down as heirlooms.

Your setting up of strawmen and then insulting them is an interesting behavior.
Nearly as funny as tiompan going on about the definition of Henge for 3 years.

Simon21 wrote: The idea that the Anglo Saxons did not have ships, cauldrons etc because we haven't found any workshops we can identify -
now it appears that the early Scots could not defend themselves.

I never said that the Anglo Saxons did not have ships.
As a matter of fact, I have specifically asked you for information about the Baltic garnet sources,
as I expect there will be ship workshops found nearby.

Those ships allowed for the rapid appearance of large raiding forces at one spot.
Too fast for the local people to organize their own forces to defend themselves.

Under the earlier Empire, there would have been genocidal raids on the places those raids came from.
But then the Empire had wasted their resources in internecine struggles for the office of Emperor.

My new pamphlet is back from the printers,
with a major new site of importance to the tourist industry here in Ohio.
My little "vacation" is at an end,
and we have about 3 new sites requiring field survey.

Simon, if you can't provide pointers to those Baltic garnet sources,
I am quite willing to let you go around in circles,
trying to coax more out of those text materials which have been thoroughly worked through.

It appears you are incapable of working through any texts which are more complex.

In closing...

circumspice

Post by circumspice »

EP... Is the fucking seal in the photo that you keep posting a mammal type seal? Or is that fucking seal a letter type seal? Inquiring minds want to know...
"Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test." ~ Robert G. Ingersoll

"Damn with faint praise, assent with civil leer, and, without sneering, teach the rest to sneer." ~ Alexander Pope
E.P. Grondine

Post by E.P. Grondine »

circumspice wrote: EP... Is the fucking seal in the photo that you keep posting a mammal type seal?
Or is that fucking seal a letter type seal?
Inquiring minds want to know...

spice, such language... :oops:
it's a bit of bling showing
a f******g mammal type seal :lol:

circumspice

Post by circumspice »

E.P. Grondine wrote:
circumspice wrote: EP... Is the fucking seal in the photo that you keep posting a mammal type seal?
Or is that fucking seal a letter type seal?
Inquiring minds want to know...

spice, such language... :oops:
it's a bit of bling showing
a f******g mammal type seal :lol:

So... Using the same word, but with asterisks, makes its use acceptable???
"Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test." ~ Robert G. Ingersoll

"Damn with faint praise, assent with civil leer, and, without sneering, teach the rest to sneer." ~ Alexander Pope
E.P. Grondine

Post by E.P. Grondine »

circumspice wrote: So... Using the same word, but with asterisks, makes its use acceptable???

well, if you're old enough to fill in the asterisks,
then ...

I couldn't resist using the all purpose emphatic for the benefit of our Aussie visitor,
who also is most likely fully aware of its Anglo-Saxon roots. :twisted:

I think it was Patton who said tell it to them dirty and loud,
that way they'll remember it.

SO, YES, THIS IS A F*****G SEAL, AND THERE WERE NONE OF THEM IN GAUL OR GERMANIA

In other news today,
while tiompan does not believe that small impacts have recently taken place, most people do

Also, archaeological work continues on the Kaali an Cheimgau impacts,
as well as the Holocene Start Impact Events.

I never translated my little essay on the Bazas impact into French.
I do not know the French word for stroke,
but would not mind going up to Quebec to work on it.
I also think an expedition to find Benny Hill's Paris cafes would be fun,
and perhaps visiting some friends there.

kbs2244

Post by kbs2244 »

I think you can thank the Russian dash cam Videos this renewed interest In impacts.

NOTE
If you get into a French translation, get a good editor.
I have second experience that shows that
NA and European French are different dialects with some off-color differences.
Simon21

Post by Simon21 »

Good morning, Simon -

Simon, as you are the one who made the bonehead comments about the use of stone tools in metalworking,
it would appear your comments about my knowledge of it are entirely without foundation.

You have also demonstrated absolutely no interest in the metal deposits themselves.

I think it would help if you could possibly read with comnprehension. The comments of using stone tools to make intricate metalwork are yours.

I sent you a doc proving the existence of Saxon goldsmiths. You of course did not read it.
Bling makes for the best plunder.
Ah so these are discerning plunderers are they? You just make yourself more foolish with each post. Did they use jewelleers monacles? You think raiders are very careful about what they take? So what of the non supreme items?

Your beliefs it has to be said are extraordinary in their ignorance.

Once again, there were multiple raids taking place over a long period of time.
You have shown no interest in parsing them out.
Oh so the Scots didn't learn did they? Ha ha you get funnier with every post.

And here's the thing me bonny bawbee did you know the people of Scotland were inclined to a bit of raiding too? Why did they not take their pieces back?

Hmmm

You may know where the finished pieces were found,
but what I am interested in is where they were made.
That's easy they were largely made by Anglo Saxon jewellers (the bowls at Sutton Hoo were made in Syria) as every book will tell you.

This is known because we know where the materials came from, we know the styles and designs favoured by the Germanic peoples of Europe. We even know the famnous Kent brooches were inspired by Frankish designs.

Everyone knows this except you. Why is that you think?

Perhaps another captive like Patrick, but I really do not know nor care.
Those are problems you are working on.
I have a minor interest in the Cruit, not the Anglo Saxons.
No you don't know You have no idea and no knowledge except a pretend knowledge of Pictish which you do not speak or understand.

Actually, my interest is in PIE.
And now impact events.
Really? I wouldn't say that. Someone who foolishly dismisses a whole ethnic culture stretching for over 600 years can be said to have more than a partial interest.

Let me run this by you again.
Wool irritates my skin, unless very fine wool.
Scotch whiskey is too sweet for my tastes, and I really do not know good mixers for it.
I never learned to play golf.
As far as field work goes, I'd rather be troweling through tsunami deposits on Crete,
or doing field surveys in SW Turkey,.
No I don't think so. This asinine belief that the Scots are responsible for all A/s jewellery despite the evidence is pretty demonstrative.

And would you be welcome in Turkey or do you beleive they stole all their treasures from Greece? or Egypt or the Picts.

Once again I warn you against espousing such wacky theories in front of some Turkish people (the Greeks are not fond of people who insult their culture and heritage too).
I never said that.
And I didn't say I was quoting you. I am simply trying to understand Grondism
Once again, there were multiple raids on multiple locations taking place over a long period of time.
The plunder was also handed down as heirlooms.
Ah I see but where are these locations? Why does the jewellery have a definite Germanic style as is found in the Continent? And did not the Scots do some raiding?

And why would the A/S and Irish refuse to make jewellery? There was far more gold in England than Scotland. Religious reasons

You can now hopefully see how idiotic you view is. And it is of course supported by no evidence whatsoever - Grondism indeed.
Your setting up of strawmen and then insulting them is an interesting behavior.
Nearly as funny as tiompan going on about the definition of Henge for 3 years.
You are responsible for you own words.
I never said that the Anglo Saxons did not have ships.
Yes but according to the Grondine doctrine "no workshops no objects". You apparently beleive because we have not unearthed a A/S Tiffany's there is no such thing as A/S jewellery, so the same theory applies to boats, we have unearthed no bosatyards so therefore....This is where Grondism leads you.
As a matter of fact, I have specifically asked you for information about the Baltic garnet sources,
as I expect there will be ship workshops found nearby
But according to the Grondine theory no boatyards discovered, no manufacture, so the boats must have been stolen.

This will open your eyes about Sutton Hoo

https://www.britishmuseum.org/pdf/9%20Adams-opt-sec.pdf

And do read:

https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/sutton ... utton-hoo-

Which points out the garnets originatd as gemstones in Sri Lanka whence they were traded to Britain through the North Atlantic/Baltic trade routes.

Unless you beleive the A/S raided Ceylon?

Not a word about Scotland I am afraid. Zilch, de nada, another Grondine tower bites the dust.

I know you won't of can't read this material but hope springs eternal.
Those ships allowed for the rapid appearance of large raiding forces at one spot.
Too fast for the local people to organize their own forces to defend themselves.
Is that so? And the local people (who they) didn't organise themselves even after generations?

Oh and how to tell you this but England and Scotland are on the same island. You do not have to sail to Scotland from England or vice versa to raid.
Under the earlier Empire, there would have been genocidal raids on the places those raids came from.
But then the Empire had wasted their resources in internecine struggles for the office of Emperor.
Fascinating and can you possibly name these raids on the Frisian and German and danish coasts? Haven't heard of any myself.
My new pamphlet is back from the printers,
with a major new site of importance to the tourist industry here in Ohio.
My little "vacation" is at an end,
and we have about 3 new sites requiring field survey.
Yes well take my advice stick to your pamphlets etc and leave the big questions to those prepared to invest the time in studying the subject.
trying to coax more out of those text materials which have been thoroughly worked through.
I think we have reached the limits of Grondism - ignore the evidence, rely on wild supposition and predjudice. How do you "thoroughly work through?" a 5th century text? Like you work through an Ohio cess pit? These are historical texts they are never "worked through". New insights are gained with study and more discoveries.

One presumes in Ohio that as soon as someone has read a historical document they throw it away.

Explains a lot.
It appears you are incapable of working through any texts which are more complex.
This coming from someone who cannot read any texts apparently.
[/quote]

Yes you have a fould mouth but I put it down to your condition.

It is intensely sad that two big contributors to this site turn out to be a lying hound on one hand and an ignorant crank on the other
Last edited by Simon21 on Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Simon21

Post by Simon21 »

I couldn't resist using the all purpose emphatic for the benefit of our Aussie visitor,
who also is most likely fully aware of its Anglo-Saxon roots. :twisted:
[/quote]

I think it was Patton who said tell it to them dirty and loud,
that way they'll remember it.[/quote]

Ah but according to you it has no A/S roots!!

And Patton, remind us he was the man who beat a wounded soldier wan't he? And who was forced to apologise to the whole army?

Huge ego regarded as a psycho by many soldioers

Hmmm hero of yours is he?

SO, YES, THIS IS A F*****G SEAL, AND THERE WERE NONE OF THEM IN GAUL OR GERMANIA

WELL DUMBFUCK HOW THE FUCK DO YOU KNOW THERE HAVE NEVER BEEN ANY FUCKING SEALS EVER ON THE NORTH ATLANTIC COASTS OF EUROPE

YOUR FUCKING KINOWLEDGE OF THE NATURAL WORLD IS ON A PAR WITH YOUR IGNORACE OF LANGUAGES.
Simon21

Post by Simon21 »

circumspice wrote:EP... Is the fucking seal in the photo that you keep posting a mammal type seal? Or is that fucking seal a letter type seal? Inquiring minds want to know...
This man's weird beliefs that nobody made any jewlllery in the 5th and 6th centuries but the Scots is beyond grotesque.

All stemming from one visit to Scotland
E.P. Grondine

Post by E.P. Grondine »

Simon21 wrote: This man's weird beliefs that nobody made any jewlllery in the 5th and 6th centuries but the Scots is beyond grotesque.

All stemming from one visit to Scotland

Simon, I suppose we must show some tolerance for the old and senile.

What I said was that the better pieces of Anglo-Saxon bling were plunder,
and there was a jewelry workshop somewhere in SW Scotland...
and that statement is based on far more than one trip there.

https://youtu.be/aBFlFRLnzk8