Roman DNA

The Old World is a reference to those parts of Earth known to Europeans before the voyages of Christopher Columbus; it includes Europe, Asia and Africa.

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

Simon21

Re: Roman DNA

Post by Simon21 »

E.P. Grondine wrote:
simon wrote: Sorry I have read Gregory of Tours and studied his work. None of this is remotrely relevant.
What is the point here? Just to show you have read Gregaory of Tours?

Hello, simon.

There are multiple points here, not just one.

In 1997, I became aware of the work of Clube and Napier and others on recent asteoid and comet impacts.
First off, a lot of that work was pretty bad, and
second, these impact events were a powerful new tool for anthropological work, and
third, they explained a number of the standing questions.

I try to be as rigorous as possible with my work,
given its significance.
Both millions of lives and millions of dollars of spending in

I had earlier worked through the Life of Columba looking for remainders of the Pict language.
To my earlier list of the O/U medial vowel preceeding a tribal name to indicate kingship,
and the tribal name compounds with aka to indicate tribal lands,
I need to add the mac/mocu family term, which has parallels i Etruscan.
These morphemes are all PIE.
That is the first point.

Second point, at the time (2003) there was a volcanic eruption of unknown date,
and debate over the dates and causes of dust loadings and related climate downturns.
I did what I could to sort that out using what was at hand.

Third point.
What I demonstrated was that the Life of Columba had been generated from contemporary documents.
I am not speaking about the hundreds of Saints lives, just this one.

I consider further work at Bazas the responsibility of the French archaeological authorities and the CNRS.
As far as Southwest Scotland goes, once I have put my "geological specimens" in the mail,
and returned them to the local residents there, my responsibilities will be discharged.

I only have a few more days vacation here.
I am greatly enjoying watching the videos about the CAM-CAD print on demand work being done in Birmingham
on the Staffordshire hoard, and think that it will be a real boost for them.

I do not know where in the UK their national laser sampling and analysis facility will be built.

simon wrote: May I suggest that instead of posting huge irrelevant quotes and trying to suggest Roman Gaul was destroyed by meteors you read these sources.

Simon, I did not state that all of Roman Gaul was destroyed by impact,
just Bazas, which sat on a key trade route between the Islands and Rome.
There was far more maritime traffic than simply that crossing the Channel,
as we can now clearly see from the E pottery distribution.

The sources you mention were exhausted sometime in the 1970's.
Work moved on long ago to regional documents
but that still leaves sources like the Life of Columba yet available for desk analysis.

The destruction of Bazas will likely show up in Bishops lists,
and/or the Vatican Library.

Yes, my working hypothesis is that most of the better "Anglo-Saxon" bling is loot from raids,
and until demonstrated otherwise,
say through the recovery of jewelry workshops,
I intend to stick with it.

Now where are those papers on the garnet sources?

I cannot understand this. You ignore contemporary sources and try to read Pict from St Columba? Who didn't speak it.

And why this obsession with the Picts? The dissappearance off Roman Britain is far more important.

As for the volcanic eruption you could have saved yourself the trouble. This has been common knowledge for over 20 years.

Bazas was not destroyed. The reference is clearly to earthquakes and fires. Do you not know what traverse means? The French are not going to waste precious resources. Sidonius Apollinaris might have noticed an asteroid storm, not to mention the Gallic Chronicles.The

You need to learn how to read historical documents. Gregory of Tours is not a NASA scientist. He writes in a certain style derived from the bible. He is writing to convince people of Biblical truth. And since the Bible is 99 per cent poppycock you cannot take what he says literally.

As for Columba forgive me but I strongly suspect you do not read 7th century latin, Irish or Scots. And Patrick is of course the primary source for most saint's lives. Yet you dismiss him.

Let us hope money isn't wasted on useless resources. I suggest you Google the origins of the jewellery it is common knowledge.

Literary resources are never exhausted. Very weird thing to say. You do not seem very familiar with this area.The

I find your remarks about the Anglo saxons racist. To suggest they were incapable of trading or gift giving is simply offensive. Were the
Ohio natives all thieves?

Sorry I am interested in the wonderful discoveries being made in British archaeology and research. I really couldn't care less about asteroids. If we get wiped out so what? The earth will probably sigh with relief.
Simon21

Post by Simon21 »

Interestingly the latest intelligence on the picture stone symbols cited them as labels. Comfortingly this was my opinion. It accounts for the repitition.

It also appears that like everywhere else if the Picts did write it would of course been in latin.
Simon21

Post by Simon21 »

And instead of wasting money on laboratories to find out what is already known the Spanish need to research their own acculturalisation a lot more thoroughly. For example why did the British settle in Galicia?
E.P. Grondine

Post by E.P. Grondine »

Hi simon -
Something has come in over the transom, so my reply will be spread out and done during breaks.

But first off

simon wrote: I find your remarks about the Anglo Saxons racist.

Thank you ! Thank you! Thank you!
That is one of the nicest compliments I have ever received,
and one of the nicest things anyone ha ever said about me.

simon wrote: To suggest they were incapable of trading or gift giving is simply offensive.

Which is not what I said.
What I said was that my working hypothesis,
at least until someone points me to hard evidence to the contrary,
is that their better bling was all plunder.

simon wrote: Were the Ohio natives all thieves?

As there are damned few people who know war points from other points,
or heirlooms from other finds in any set of grave goods,
when I run into them it is always fun.
Christ! I just heard that OHS just ran a bulldozer up the Miamisburg Mound!

simon wrote: And why this obsession with the Picts? The disappearance off Roman Britain is far more important.

Let's see, You have a people who lived in their lands for 10's of thousands of years on the one hand,
and you have Roman government and technology of the other, along with systems collapse,
which I covered in my 2003 essay.
And by the way, the Picts appear to have been a PIE people.

simon wrote: Interestingly the latest intelligence on the picture stone symbols cited them as labels. Comfortingly this was my opinion. It accounts for the repetition.
It also appears that like everywhere else if the Picts did write it would of course been in Latin.

There was some kind of fixed symbolic vocabulary used by the Picts on their stelae.
The problem is that no one can read it with certainty.
Besides Latnm the Picts may have used Ogham or Runes.
Again, no one knows.

simon wrote: I cannot understand this. You ignore contemporary sources and try to read Pict from St Columba? Who didn't speak it.

As far as the Picts and PIE goes, one has to work with what one has.

simon wrote: As for Columba, forgive me but I strongly suspect you do not read 7th century Latin, Irish, or Scots.

Quite right. All I can do is point to materials which indicate that
some type of annals were used to generate the Life of Columba.
The rest is up to those much more skilled.

simon wrote: And Patrick is of course the primary source for most saint's lives. Yet you dismiss him.

Ah yes, back to the "Cabinboy" again.
The point I am trying to get you to understand is that
the low lying fruit has already been picked and thoroughly worked over,
and further progress can only be made by working with the more difficult materials.

simon wrote: Bazas was not destroyed. The reference is clearly to earthquakes and fires.
Do you not know what traverse means? The French are not going to waste precious resources.
Sidonius Apollinaris might have noticed an asteroid storm, not to mention the Gallic Chronicles.

The exact extent of the destruction was recorded in the Life of Columba.
Yes, the French will not waste precious resources.
Which is why CNRS sponsors geological work on impacts.
Myself and my colleagues would be most interested in any astronomical records you are aware of.

simon wrote: I really couldn't care less about asteroids. If we get wiped out so what? The earth will probably sigh with relief.

Right charitable of you there, mate.
Why wait for an asteroid?
Why don't you help the Earth out and go first? :roll: :lol:

Vague hand waving about Historia Franconum and the LIfe of Columba
does nothing to diminish the fact that the passages on this impact in Gaul agree.

Last edited by E.P. Grondine on Fri May 18, 2018 7:27 pm, edited 5 times in total.
E.P. Grondine

Post by E.P. Grondine »

Hi Simon -

since 99% of the Bible is poppycock, you won'tmind if I point out that Columba appears to have been a Pelagian:

"CHAPTER IV. OF THE APPARITION OF HOLY ANGELS
WHOM ST. BRENDEN SAW ACCOMPANYING THE BLESSED MAN THROUGH THE PLAIN.

"For indeed after the lapse of many years, when st. Columba was excommunicated by a certain synod for some pardonable and very trifling reasons, and indeed unjustly, as it afterwards appeared at the end, he came to the' same meeting convened against himself. When st. Brenden, the founder of the monastery which in the scotic language is called birra (birr, in king's county), saw him approaching in the distance, he quickly arose, and with head bowed down reverently kissed him. When some of the seniors in that assembly, going apart from the rest, were finding fault with him, and saying: "why didst thou not decline to rise in presence of an excommunicated person, and to kiss him?" he replied to them in this wise: "If," said he, "you had seen what the Lord has this day thought fit to show to me regarding this his chosen one, whom you dishonour, you would never have excommunicated a person whom God not only doth not excommunicate, according to your unjust sentence, but even more and more highly esteemeth."

"How, we would wish to know," said they in reply, " doth God exalt, as thou sayest, one whom we have excommunicated, not without reason?" "I have seen," said Brenden, "a most brilliant pillar wreathed with fiery tresses preceding this same man of God whom you treat with contempt; I have also seen holy angels accompanying him on his journey through the plain. Therefore I do not dare to slight him whom I see foreordained by God to be the leader of his people to life." When he said this, they desisted, and so far from daring to hold the saint any longer excommunicated, they even treated him with the greatest respect and reverence. This took place in Teilte (Taillte, now Teltown, in Meath)."

As far as these "angels" go, I think it is far more likely that they were Angles in the original document.
Last edited by E.P. Grondine on Fri May 18, 2018 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
E.P. Grondine

Post by E.P. Grondine »

And here is nother appearance of an "angel".

"CHAPTER VI. HOW AN ANGEL OF THE LORD APPEARED IN A VISION TO ST. COLUMBA
WHILE HE STAYED IN THE HINBA ISLAND (EILEAN-NA-NAOIMH),
BEING SENT TO HIM IN ORDER THAT HE MIGHT APPOINT AIDAN KING.

"ON another occasion, when this eminent man was staying in the Hinba island (Eilean-na-Naoimh), he saw, on a certain night, in a mental ecstasy, an angel sent to him from heaven, and holding in his hand a book of glass, regarding the appointment of kings. Having received the book from the hand of the angel, the venerable man, at his command, began to read it; and when he was reluctant to appoint Aidan king, as the book directed, because he had a greater affection for Iogenan his brother, the angel, suddenly stretching forth his hand, struck the saint with a scourge, the livid marks of which remained in his side all the days of his life.

"And he added these words: "Know for certain," said he, "that I am sent to thee by God with the book of glass, that in accordance with the words thou hast read therein, thou mayest inaugurate Aidan into the kingdom; but if thou refuse to obey this command, I will strike thee again." When therefore this angel of the Lord had appeared for three successive nights, having the same book of glass in his hand, and had repeated the same commands of the Lord regarding the appointment of the same king, the saint, in obedience to the command of the Lord, sailed across to the Iouan island (Hy, now Iona), and there ordained, as he had been commanded, Aidan to be king, who had arrived at the same time as the saint. During the words of consecration, the saint declared the future regarding the children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren of Aidan, and laying his hand upon his head, he consecrated and blessed him."

Now I may be mistaken, but I think that Aidan is a nice Angle name, a variant of the Anglo-Saxon title "Aid".

Simon21

Post by Simon21 »

E.P. Grondine wrote:
Hi Simon -

since 99% of the Bible is poppycock, you won'tmind if I point out that Columba appears to have been a Pelagian:

"CHAPTER IV. OF THE APPARITION OF HOLY ANGELS
WHOM ST. BRENDEN SAW ACCOMPANYING THE BLESSED MAN THROUGH THE PLAIN.

"For indeed after the lapse of many years, when st. Columba was excommunicated by a certain synod for some pardonable and very trifling reasons, and indeed unjustly, as it afterwards appeared at the end, he came to the' same meeting convened against himself. When st. Brenden, the founder of the monastery which in the scotic language is called birra (birr, in king's county), saw him approaching in the distance, he quickly arose, and with head bowed down reverently kissed him. When some of the seniors in that assembly, going apart from the rest, were finding fault with him, and saying: "why didst thou not decline to rise in presence of an excommunicated person, and to kiss him?" he replied to them in this wise: "If," said he, "you had seen what the Lord has this day thought fit to show to me regarding this his chosen one, whom you dishonour, you would never have excommunicated a person whom God not only doth not excommunicate, according to your unjust sentence, but even more and more highly esteemeth."

"How, we would wish to know," said they in reply, " doth God exalt, as thou sayest, one whom we have excommunicated, not without reason?" "I have seen," said Brenden, "a most brilliant pillar wreathed with fiery tresses preceding this same man of God whom you treat with contempt; I have also seen holy angels accompanying him on his journey through the plain. Therefore I do not dare to slight him whom I see foreordained by God to be the leader of his people to life." When he said this, they desisted, and so far from daring to hold the saint any longer excommunicated, they even treated him with the greatest respect and reverence. This took place in Teilte (Taillte, now Teltown, in Meath)."

As far as these "angels" go, I think it is far more likely that they were Angles in the original document.
Where does it say he was a pelagian. Do you actually know what pelagianism is
Simon21

Post by Simon21 »

E.P. Grondine wrote:

And here is nother appearance of an "angel".

"CHAPTER VI. HOW AN ANGEL OF THE LORD APPEARED IN A VISION TO ST. COLUMBA
WHILE HE STAYED IN THE HINBA ISLAND (EILEAN-NA-NAOIMH),
BEING SENT TO HIM IN ORDER THAT HE MIGHT APPOINT AIDAN KING.

"ON another occasion, when this eminent man was staying in the Hinba island (Eilean-na-Naoimh), he saw, on a certain night, in a mental ecstasy, an angel sent to him from heaven, and holding in his hand a book of glass, regarding the appointment of kings. Having received the book from the hand of the angel, the venerable man, at his command, began to read it; and when he was reluctant to appoint Aidan king, as the book directed, because he had a greater affection for Iogenan his brother, the angel, suddenly stretching forth his hand, struck the saint with a scourge, the livid marks of which remained in his side all the days of his life.

"And he added these words: "Know for certain," said he, "that I am sent to thee by God with the book of glass, that in accordance with the words thou hast read therein, thou mayest inaugurate Aidan into the kingdom; but if thou refuse to obey this command, I will strike thee again." When therefore this angel of the Lord had appeared for three successive nights, having the same book of glass in his hand, and had repeated the same commands of the Lord regarding the appointment of the same king, the saint, in obedience to the command of the Lord, sailed across to the Iouan island (Hy, now Iona), and there ordained, as he had been commanded, Aidan to be king, who had arrived at the same time as the saint. During the words of consecration, the saint declared the future regarding the children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren of Aidan, and laying his hand upon his head, he consecrated and blessed him."

Now I may be mistaken, but I think that Aidan is a nice Angle name, a variant of the Anglo-Saxon title "Aid".

Sorry but you do not seem to understand what you r reading.
Simon21

Post by Simon21 »

I have a relative who has just suffrered a stroke, so I realise how frightening and bewidering this can be.

E.P. Grondine wrote:

Hi simon -
Something has come in over the transom, so my reply will be spread out and done during breaks.

But first off

simon wrote: I find your remarks about the Anglo Saxons racist.

Thank you ! Thank you! Thank you!
That is one of the nicest compliments I have ever received,
and one of the nicest things anyone ha ever said about me.

You find racism funny?

simon wrote: To suggest they were incapable of trading or gift giving is simply offensive.

Which is not what I said.
What I said was that my working hypothesis,
at least until someone points me to hard evidence to the contrary,
is that their better bling was all plunder.

You adhere to the famous US lynching tradition, certain groups are always guilty. I gather Ohio has its own atrocities in this regard.

simon wrote: Were the Ohio natives all thieves?

As there are damned few people who know war points from other points,
or heirlooms from other finds in any set of grave goods,
when I run into them it is always fun.
Christ! I just heard that OHS just ran a bulldozer up the Miamisburg Mound!

Probably trying to move a pesky asteroid. They ran tanks up Sutton Hoo.

simon wrote: And why this obsession with the Picts? The disappearance off Roman Britain is far more important.

Let's see, You have a people who lived in their lands for 10's of thousands of years on the one hand,
and you have Roman government and technology of the other, along with systems collapse,
which I covered in my 2003 essay.
And by the way, the Picts appear to have been a PIE people.

Marvbellous, let's see it is odd no one has taken any notice of your essay. Which is odd since you know exactly how long they were in Britian.

simon wrote: Interestingly the latest intelligence on the picture stone symbols cited them as labels. Comfortingly this was my opinion. It accounts for the repetition.
It also appears that like everywhere else if the Picts did write it would of course been in Latin.

There was some kind of fixed symbolic vocabulary used by the Picts on their stelae.
The problem is that no one can read it with certainty.
Besides Latnm the Picts may have used Ogham or Runes.
Again, no one knows.

But surely you do, you already know how long the Picts were in Britain and their ethnic idenity.

Were they hit by an asteroid sometime? That would account for their cultural dissapearance. It is certainly odd that with all this insight you have never presented a paper at any of the key conferences and seminars on Pictish studies.

simon wrote: I cannot understand this. You ignore contemporary sources and try to read Pict from St Columba? Who didn't speak it.

As far as the Picts and PIE goes, one has to work with what one has.

Really well one can only say you seem to have a lot. A antiquated life of St Columba and you are apparently a world authority.

simon wrote: As for Columba, forgive me but I strongly suspect you do not read 7th century Latin, Irish, or Scots.

Quite right. All I can do is point to materials which indicate that
some type of annals were used to generate the Life of Columba.
The rest is up to those much more skilled.

But relying on ancient translations to try to make points about langage is ridiculous.

simon wrote: And Patrick is of course the primary source for most saint's lives. Yet you dismiss him.

Ah yes, back to the "Cabinboy" again.
The point I am trying to get you to understand is that
the low lying fruit has already been picked and thoroughly worked over,
and further progress can only be made by working with the more difficult materials.

You think the Life of St Columba is er not studied? Seriously? You do know St Patrick refers to the Picts. You do know that? I think not.

You patently haven't read anything about Patrick and are trying to cover up your ignorance

simon wrote: Bazas was not destroyed. The reference is clearly to earthquakes and fires.
Do you not know what traverse means? The French are not going to waste precious resources.
Sidonius Apollinaris might have noticed an asteroid storm, not to mention the Gallic Chronicles.

The exact extent of the destruction was recorded in the Life of Columba.
Yes, the French will not waste precious resources.
Which is why CNRS sponsors geological work on impacts.
Myself and my colleagues would be most interested in any astronomical records you are aware of.

A life you cannot actually read and is based on biblical precedents. I would be gratefull to hear you had botherd to learn about Saints Lives.

simon wrote: I really couldn't care less about asteroids. If we get wiped out so what? The earth will probably sigh with relief.

Right charitable of you there, mate.
Why wait for an asteroid?
Why don't you help the Earth out and go first? :roll: :lol:

I am afraid you seem to be in a much more parlous position than me. I hope you are takng appropriate medication and lookng after your lifestyle. I hope you have warned your relatives.
E.P. Grondine

Post by E.P. Grondine »

Simon21 wrote: I have a relative who has just suffered a stroke, so I realise how frightening and bewildering this can be.

My cousin Tommy just died from the effects of his stroke.
They run in the family, the result of having inherited the Native American gene for survival metabolism.

Simon21 wrote: You adhere to the famous US lynching tradition, certain groups are always guilty.

No. I am simply trying to provoke you into providing information on Anglo Saxon metal workshops,
if there is any such information.
I can not even locate information on Baltic garnet sources.

Simon21 wrote: I gather Ohio has its own atrocities in this regard.

Different groups of people had wars.
Native Americans were no different,
but there were differences among them in warfare.

Simon21 wrote: Probably trying to move a pesky asteroid. They ran tanks up Sutton Hoo.

No, if it happened, and most likely it did,
it is just another example of the usual stupidity of OHS.
I was told they were trying to remove trees.
Not exactly the way I would do that,
or anyone else with half a brain would do it.

Simon21 wrote: Marvellous, let's see it is odd no one has taken any notice of your essay.

Actually, that essay has enjoyed a certain amount of interest and a fairly wide circulation.

Simon21 wrote: Which is odd since you know exactly how long the Picts were in Britian.

mtDNA does not lie, and may be considered definitive.

Simon21 wrote: But surely you do, you already know how long the Picts were in Britain and their ethnic identity.

I never claimed any ability to "read" the Pict stelae.
I certainly wish someone could.

Simon21 wrote: Were they hit by an asteroid sometime?

It is safe to assume the Picts were affected by asteroid and comet impacts,
like everyone else living on the face of the Earth,
but no one has worked through whatever of their materials have survived.

Simon21 wrote: That would account for their cultural disappearance.

No. You have to look at other factors to explain the Picts' cultural disappearance.

Simon21 wrote: It is certainly odd that with all this insight you have never presented a paper at any of the key conferences and seminars on Pictish studies.

Hell, I am not even aware that there are any conferences.

Simon21 wrote: Really well one can only say you seem to have a lot.
An antiquated life of St Columba and you are apparently a world authority.

It is likely that that academic you mentioned a while back is the authority on Columba.

But looking at if, in the story of Columba we have Druids, Picts, Angles, bling, Pelagian heretics.
All making for a great story, should anyone care to sort it all out.

But sunny Crete beckons, and the "Minoans"are a whole lot more fun.

Simon21 wrote: But relying on ancient translations to try to make points about language is ridiculous.

The Anderson's text is not that old.
Again, one has to work with the materials that exist.
Trying to hold me responsible for there not being better texts is not fair dinkums.

Simon21 wrote: You think the Life of St Columba is er not studied? Seriously?

I do not know of any recent studies.
But then I lost track of the field by the early 1980's.
I have not seen anything about recent archaeological work in Southwest Scotland.
Some work may have gone on, but it has not been widely publicized.

My thinking is that the Staffordshire hoard will lead to work on early Mercia,
and then onward to work on Rheged.
And that will finally lead to work on the Cruit.

Simon21 wrote: You do know St Patrick refers to the Picts. You do know that? I think not.
You patently haven't read anything about Patrick and are trying to cover up your ignorance

Simon, I read through the existing materials many many years ago.
I lost much of what I knew at hand in my stroke.
What survived was in my short term memory,
the Native American materials.
It is now fun to go back and look at the other materials.

I have little desire to look at the Patrick materials again,
and no financial incentive to do so.
And I have far more pressing work immediately at hand.

Simon21 wrote: A life you cannot actually read and is based on biblical precedents.
I would be gratefull to hear you had bothered to learn about Saints Lives.

Why the f**k would I want to do that?
It is clear why the Life of Columba was written.

Simon21 wrote: I am afraid you seem to be in a much more parlous position than me.
I hope you are taking appropriate medication and looking after your lifestyle.
I hope you have warned your relatives.

Cousin Tommy failed to heed my warning.
Last edited by E.P. Grondine on Sat May 19, 2018 9:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
E.P. Grondine

Post by E.P. Grondine »

simon wrote: Where does it say he was a pelagian. Do you actually know what pelagianism is?

Why don't you tell us all about it, simon?
E.P. Grondine

Post by E.P. Grondine »

Why look at this:
https://books.google.com/books?id=N9eqB ... anuscripts

and only $125 for a copy

(see page 30 where the author is completely baffled by the CHr/lo/uit/d=Caledonia linguistic relationship)
(and then somehow he skips from 200 CE to 730 CE
- a mere 500 year omission
which avoids all the problems of dealing with modern peoples
sensitivites about Dal Riada and the Mercian Angles
Wait he now goes back to the 300's...

The identification of the Venturones with Votadin is given,
bu perhaps the Venturiones were maritime raiders in sailing ships, powered by the winds.
This would explain the Di/Caledones construction, with the Cruit being one of the two, and the Gododin the other.)

Wkipedia on Columba's heresy:

"Tradition asserts that, sometime around 560, he became involved in a quarrel with Saint Finnian of Movilla Abbey over a psalter. Colmcille copied the manuscript at the scriptorium under Saint Finnian, intending to keep the copy. Saint Finnian disputed his right to keep the copy. The dispute eventually led to the pitched Battle of Cúl Dreimhne in Cairbre Drom Cliabh (now in County Sligo) in 561, during which many men were killed.

"A second grievance that led him to induce the clan Neill to rise and engage in battle against King Diarmait at Cooldrevny in 561 was King Diarmatt's violation of the right of sanctuary belonging to Colmcille's person as a monk on the occasion of the murder of Prince Curnan, the saint's kinsman.[12] Prince Curnan of Connaught, who had fatally injured a rival in a hurling match and had taken refuge with Colmcille, was dragged from his protector's arms and slain by Diarmaid's men, in defiance of the rights of sanctuary.[13] A synod of clerics and scholars threatened to excommunicate him for these deaths, but St. Brendan of Birr spoke on his behalf with the result that he was allowed to go into exile instead.

"Colmcille's own conscience was uneasy, and on the advice of an aged hermit, Molaise, he resolved to expiate his offence by going into exile and win for Christ as many souls as had perished in the terrible battle of Cúl Dreimhne. He left Ireland, to return only once, many years later. Colmcille's copy of the psalter has been traditionally associated with the Cathach of St. Colmcille.

A Strange tale of a strange political situation.

And we have Pelagianism:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pelagianism

as a modern issue, no less
Last edited by E.P. Grondine on Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
E.P. Grondine

Post by E.P. Grondine »

The author of that $125 book seems baffled by what happened to the Dumnoniae.
Here's an explanation: they were beaten by a group of Angles

CHAPTER IX. OF THE BRAVE FIGHT OF THE ANGELS AGAINST THE DEMONS,
AND HOW THEY OPPORTUNELY ASSISTED THE SAINT IN THE SAME CONFLICT.

ON another day while the holy man was living in the Iouan island (Hy, now Iona), he went to seek in the woods for a place more remote from men and fitting for prayer. And there when he began to pray, he suddenly beheld, as he afterwards told a few of the brethren, a very black host of demons fighting against him with iron darts. These wicked demons wished, as the Holy Spirit revealed to the saint, to attack his monastery and kill with the same spears many of the brethren. But he, single-handed, against innumerable foes of such a nature, fought with the utmost bravery, having received the armour of the apostle Paul.

And thus the contest was maintained on both sides during the greater part of the day, nor could the demons, countless though they were, vanquish him, nor was he able, by himself, to drive them from his island, until the angels of God, as the saint afterwards told certain persons, and they few in number, came to his aid, when the demons in terror gave way.

On the same day, when the saint was returning to his monastery, after he had driven the devils from his island, he spoke these words concerning the same hostile legions, saying, "Those deadly foes, who this day, through the mercy of God and the assistance of his angels, have been put to flight from this small track of land, have fled to the Ethican land (Tiree), and there as savage invaders they will attack the monasteries of the brethren, and cause pestilential diseases, of which many will be grievously ill and die."

All this came to pass in those days, as the blessed man had foreseen. And two days after he thus spake from the revelation of the Holy Ghost, "Baithen hath managed wisely, with God's help, that the congregation of the church over which he hath been appointed by God to preside, in the plain of Lunge (Magh Lunge, in Tiree), should be defended by fasts and prayers against the attacks of the demons, and but one person shall die on this occasion." The whole took place as was foretold; for whilst many in the other monasteries of the same island fell victims to that disease, none except the one of whom the saint spoke died in the congregation which was under the charge of Baithen."

Youknow, if Ikept his up, I could easily offend the English, the Irish, and the Scots.
I suppose if I started in with the Life of Saint David, I could offend the Welsh as well.
And that is without going into the "Gnostic" influences on Insular Christianity at all.

Simon21

Post by Simon21 »

1 you claim the DNA of the Posts is definitive. How can that be of we do not know who they are. But if a problem.

2 yrs it is your fault if you won't learn how to read docs in their original language. To try to say you can read pictis h but not church Latin is silly.

3 indeed you cannot comment on any languages you do not know.

4. You made the silly remark about the Anglo Saxons not me. I simply cannot understand the workshop obession. We don't have any AS shipyards either. Or Greek sculpture studios or Milesian brothels. A pointless remark.

5. And white Onions acted against their black citizens without waiting for the courts.

6. Well not in any accredited work I have seen. Nor in any conference nor in any proper doco on the subject such as the one broadcast 2 weeks ago.

7. So they were wiped out by asteroids. Odd you do know they have been extensively studied. A major excavation on a Pictish monastery is making some very key discoveries. No asteroids though. Suggest you start with Katherine Forsyth.

8. You think the Scottish people are not interested in their own history? Christ they talk of little else. Ok football first but Scotland's glorious history second. Endlessly.

9. There r a number of aspects to the S. Hoard. It's relation to Christian conversion is obviously vital and it's value to acculturalision studies next.

10. You need to know how to read historical docs. Saint's lives are a genre. They are not like a letter from the Ohio plumbing corp or Taree Tyres. They are designed to show various things, such as justifying land claims. No one takes them literally.

11. No Dumnonia was not conquered by the Angles. Who do you think the Angles were? Another version of the Picts how would you recognise an Angle? Why did Bede use the word angle on his title, but then spend all his time referring to Saxons? Was it to distinguish the British saxon s from those things n Saxony?
E.P. Grondine

Post by E.P. Grondine »

Good morning, simon -

$125... $125... $125...
And if you look at the preview, all he did for the first part is take what is known,
and add in the Columba materials.
I wonder who Cambridge is raising as their champion,
or if they have given up the field.

$125...
If I only had Grahma Hancocks's ego and rather complete lack of morals,
I could pirate what this Oxford fellow published, sell it cheaper,
and go into the Druids and replace Hancock's ayahausca tourism.
But I spent so much time talking "experimenters" down years ago,
that I am certainly very reluctant to mention specifics of Druid hallucinogen use.
Christ, the National Health Service would be all over my ass.

Far better to point "experimenters" to less powerful hallucinogens,
such as acid (LSD).

On to the issues you raise - but in a more convenient order..

Simon21 wrote: 8. You think the Scottish people are not interested in their own history?
Christ they talk of little else.
Ok, football first, but Scotland's glorious history second.
Endlessly.

$125

That is not what I said.
I said the English are not interested in Scottish history,
any more than OHS is interested in Shawnee history.
This can be seen in the spending of funds,
and the failure to handle the PIct stelae properly.

Simon21 wrote: 7. So they were wiped out by asteroids.

Again, not what I said. I said Bazas had been hit by an impact airburst.

Simon21 wrote: 6. Well not in any accredited work I have seen.
Nor in any conference nor in any proper doco on the subject such as the one broadcast 2 weeks ago.

What is this referring to?

Simon21 wrote: Odd you do know they have been extensively studied.
A major excavation on a Pictish monastery is making some very key discoveries. No asteroids though.
Suggest you start with Katherine Forsyth.

Thanks for the news.

Simon21 wrote: To try to say you can read pictish but not church Latin is silly.

Again, not what I said.
What I did claim was that three morphemes are preserved,
along with spelling confusions indicating
that Indo European speakers were trying to record a PIE language.

Simon21 wrote: 2 yrs it is your fault if you won't learn how to read docs in their original language.
3 indeed you cannot comment on any languages you do not know.

Before my stroke, I could at least check texts and translations.
For some strange reason, Pliny's warning
"quo nihil terribilisimus mortalium timori est"
still remains.imprinted.
Along with Crete and SW Anatolia, Sunny Tuscany also comes in ahead of SW Scotland.
Please note Hancock' complete lack of abilities with ancient cultures,
and the same holds for the entire Ancient Aliens crew.
$125..$125... $125...

Simon21 wrote: 10. You need to know how to read historical docs.
Saint's lives are a genre. They are not like a letter from the Ohio plumbing corp or Taree Tyres.
They are designed to show various things, such as justifying land claims.
No one takes them literally.

No shit, slim.
If you notice, I do not take them literally.
What I said was that there were contemporary documents
which were used to construct the Life of Columba.
Which is what that $125 Oxford historian claims.
But does he have to put up with crap? No...
So take it up with him. He should earn his money.

Simon21 wrote: 4. You made the silly remark about the Anglo Saxons not me.

You are the one making the silly claim that
the Anglo Saxons actually manufactured the bling found in their hoards.

Simon21 wrote: I simply cannot understand the workshop obsession.

Obviously, you have never excavated,
nor for that matter have any knowledge of, any metal workshop.

Put up or shut up.
That "Anglo Saxon" bling has Pict motifs.

Simon21 wrote: We don't have any AS shipyards either.

That is not my fault.
Try looking where the trees were,
or at their ports.

Simon21 wrote: Or Greek sculpture studios or Milesian brothels. A pointless remark.

And I wonder how the Turks are making out at Aphrodisias.
I am unfamiliar with the Milesian brothels.

Simon21 wrote: 9. There r a number of aspects to the Staffordshire Hoard.
It's relation to Christian conversion is obviously vital and it's value to acculturalision studies next.

Oh yeah. Acculturalization of the Germanic Sea Raiders.
(Oh And did I mention before that they were beserkers?
If you know what that really means.)

The way the studies are going to go is Mercia, Rheged, and then the Cruit.

But of course, some new archaeological find could change this.

Simon21 wrote: 11. No Dumnonia was not conquered by the Angles.
Who do you think the Angles were?
Another version of the Picts? How would you recognise an Angle?
Why did Bede use the word angle on his title, but then spend all his time referring to Saxons?
Was it to distinguish the British saxon s from those things n Saxony?

As near as I can make out,
all of the sea raiders were referred to as "Angles" by the locals,
after the first of them to show up.

Simon21 wrote: 1 you claim the DNA of the Posts is definitive.
How can that be of we do not know who they are. But if a problem.

The mtDNA IS who they were.
Their mt DNA defines any people
I keep on thinking about what this implies for Renfrew's conjectures.

Simon21 wrote: 5. And white Onions acted against their black citizens without waiting for the courts.

And what the f***k is this supposed to mean?
(Well, I may have lost many languages,
but I suppose I still have an ability with Australian English
left after my stroke.)
Last edited by E.P. Grondine on Mon May 21, 2018 8:24 am, edited 7 times in total.