Interesting Find in Jerusalem

The Old World is a reference to those parts of Earth known to Europeans before the voyages of Christopher Columbus; it includes Europe, Asia and Africa.

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Interesting Find in Jerusalem

Post by Minimalist »

Perhaps we can get back to some actual archaeology? For a change?

Hellenistic jewelry in pre-Hasmonean Jerusalem.

https://www.biblicalarchaeology.org/dail...=ZE8A8MZ30

A rare gold earring dating to the second or third century B.C.E. was unearthed during an excavation in Jerusalem.
“It seems as though, at the time, the city did not reach farther than the top of the hill in the City of David, but then spread slightly to the west into the Tyropoeon Valley,” said Gadot and Shalev. “We also learned from this excavation that the residents of this area were not peasants who settled in empty areas on the periphery of the central area, but rather the opposite—they were well-off people. The discovery of familiar Hellenistic pieces of jewelry can teach us about how Hellenistic influences reached Jerusalem during this time.”

Also brings into focus the Maccabaean legends of strife between Hellenized "Jews" and conservative jews.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Simon21

Re: Interesting Find in Jerusalem

Post by Simon21 »

Seems a lot of weight to place on one ear ring
circumspice

Post by circumspice »

I was denied access to that article :

Access Denied - Sucuri Website Firewall
If you are the site owner (or you manage this site), please whitelist your IP or if you think this block is an error please open a support ticket and make sure to include the block details (displayed in the box below), so we can assist you in troubleshooting the issue.
"Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test." ~ Robert G. Ingersoll

"Damn with faint praise, assent with civil leer, and, without sneering, teach the rest to sneer." ~ Alexander Pope
MichelleH
Site Admin

Post by MichelleH »

Circumspice try this link: (let me know if it doesn't work, I have more)

https://www.haaretz.com/archaeology/.pr ... -1.6361328

Or this one:

http://www.tornosnews.gr/en/greek-news/ ... srael.html
We've Got Fossils - We win ~ Lewis Black

Red meat, cheese, tobacco, and liquor...it works for me ~ Anthony Bourdain

Atheism is a non-prophet organization.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Simon21 wrote:Seems a lot of weight to place on one ear ring
It's one earring more than we had before.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
circumspice

Post by circumspice »

MichelleH wrote:Circumspice try this link: (let me know if it doesn't work, I have more)

https://www.haaretz.com/archaeology/.pr ... -1.6361328

Or this one:

http://www.tornosnews.gr/en/greek-news/ ... srael.html

Thanks Michelle! Both links worked.
"Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test." ~ Robert G. Ingersoll

"Damn with faint praise, assent with civil leer, and, without sneering, teach the rest to sneer." ~ Alexander Pope
Simon21

Post by Simon21 »

Minimalist wrote:
Simon21 wrote:Seems a lot of weight to place on one ear ring
It's one earring more than we had before.
One is hardly suggesting they throw it away. But often in Israeli (and elsewhere)archaeology a lot of interpretation is often put on a little. There and in Pakistan etc archaeology is often political.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

I don't know about Pakistan but there are right-wing Israeli nuts who seek to portray the bible as accurate history so they can "claim" it. Somehow, they overlook the fact that later in that same history they were evicted from Judaea and then overrun by muslims,

If some Apache showed up on my door and insisted that he used to own the land my house is on I'd call the cops. You lost, buddy. Hit the road.

-- George Carlin
Simon21

Post by Simon21 »

Minimalist wrote:I don't know about Pakistan but there are right-wing Israeli nuts who seek to portray the bible as accurate history so they can "claim" it. Somehow, they overlook the fact that later in that same history they were evicted from Judaea and then overrun by muslims,

If some Apache showed up on my door and insisted that he used to own the land my house is on I'd call the cops. You lost, buddy. Hit the road.
This is why the acculturalisation issue is so important. The Palestinians have been jews, Egyptians, Assyrians, Byzantines etc. Jesus (if he existed) was a Palestinian - there are no races. Consequently to solve the Israeli Palestinian issue simply declare the Palestinians to be old-jewish and hand out free kippers and human rights - problem solved.

This gets particularly hilarious with Islam where you find intelligent people honestly thinking that a small bunch of desert horsemen (at most 20,000) practically annihilated the whole of the Middle east and North Africa (including Egypt) - and then in a feat of awe inspiring prodigious promiscuity promptly repopulated it with moslems. Though how they managed to get on their horses after fornicating to this extent beggars all belief.
circumspice

Post by circumspice »

This gets particularly hilarious with Islam where you find intelligent people honestly thinking that a small bunch of desert horsemen (at most 20,000) practically annihilated the whole of the Middle east and North Africa (including Egypt) - and then in a feat of awe inspiring prodigious promiscuity promptly repopulated it with moslems. Though how they managed to get on their horses after fornicating to this extent beggars all belief.

LMAO!!! :shock: 8) :lol:

Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

It is a fascinating story and like most religious horseshit is mainly a story composed afterwards.

It is what makes the Ghassanids such an interesting factor in the story.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghassanid ... id_Kingdom

They were heretical ( as far as the Byzantines were concerned) xtians but when you are fighting for your life against the Persians you take what allies you can get and the Ghassanids just happened to be in the right place to hold the Byzantine right flank while they and the Persians tore each other to shreds for most of the 5th century.

So there is an intact (heretical) xtian army ( miaphysites rather than the dyophysites who had won out in Constantinople) sitting there in exactly the right spot at exactly the right time to advance into the power vacuum that had been left by the repeated blood-letting that the Byzantines and Sassanids had inflicted on one another. And nature abhors a vacuum!

-- George Carlin