The Bones Will Tell?

The Old World is a reference to those parts of Earth known to Europeans before the voyages of Christopher Columbus; it includes Europe, Asia and Africa.

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

circumspice

Re: The Bones Will Tell?

Post by circumspice »

Excuse me... I didn't open a topic about Roman amphitheaters, persecutions, gladiators or football stadiums. Will you please refrain from hijacking my thread???
"Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test." ~ Robert G. Ingersoll

"Damn with faint praise, assent with civil leer, and, without sneering, teach the rest to sneer." ~ Alexander Pope
Simon21

Post by Simon21 »

To return to the topic of bones we have: https://www.lincolnshirelive.co.uk/news ... ls-2020275.

Bot ont eh subject of inspecting old remains in museums there is the famous case of the Avebury barber. These bones were found under one of the stones. The coins on the victim dated from Edward the first and it was presumed he was crushed by the falling boulder. The remains were presumed destroyed by the blitz.

Then in 1998 they turned up again and were reexamined. It seems that said individual was killed before they were interred under the stone. And it seems likely he was murdered or at least people felt his corpse had to be concealed. So yes it is always worth reexamining the evidence
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Simon.... when I say "football" I don't mean that soccer stuff.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
circumspice

Post by circumspice »

@Simon21: Why do you have the perverse need to hijack my thread & redirect from the original topic to Roman Era England? You have fixated on one word: 'bones' & you believe that the introduction of an article about Roman Era remains being found in England is somehow germain to the subject of a new technology that helps identify otherwise unidentifiable bone fragments.

What are the color of the clouds in your world? The same as in EP's world???

Let me put it this way: I don't give a flying fuck about anything concerning the topic of Roman Era England. Why are you interjecting that topic into every thread you see?

Let me make this clear: Roman Era England is NOT in any way part of the original topic of this thread. Inserting your monomaniacal interests into my thread repeatedly is rude & uncalled for.

Stay the fuck off my thread if all you want to do is harp on & on & on about fucking ROMAN ERA England.

'nuff said?
"Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test." ~ Robert G. Ingersoll

"Damn with faint praise, assent with civil leer, and, without sneering, teach the rest to sneer." ~ Alexander Pope
Simon21

Post by Simon21 »

circumspice wrote:@Simon21: Why do you have the perverse need to hijack my thread & redirect from the original topic to Roman Era England? You have fixated on one word: 'bones' & you believe that the introduction of an article about Roman Era remains being found in England is somehow germain to the subject of a new technology that helps identify otherwise unidentifiable bone fragments.

What are the color of the clouds in your world? The same as in EP's world???

Let me put it this way: I don't give a flying fuck about anything concerning the topic of Roman Era England. Why are you interjecting that topic into every thread you see?

Let me make this clear: Roman Era England is NOT in any way part of the original topic of this thread. Inserting your monomaniacal interests into my thread repeatedly is rude & uncalled for.

Stay the fuck off my thread if all you want to do is harp on & on & on about fucking ROMAN ERA England.

'nuff said?
Can I respectfully suggest you restrain your filthy temper and abuse? You and others were talking about osteoarchaeology and so was I.

Had you bothered reading what I was writing you might also be aware that the Avebury Barber case had nothing whatsoever to do with Roman Britain. But it did reinforce your point about needing to reassess osteo evidence in line with continuing scientific development.

You might also have noticed that I was not the contributor who first spoke about football fields.

And you need to know that saying "fuck" does not make your points more impressive.

For example: I don't fucking give a fleabag's fuck about the fucking Denisovians and pointless fucking discussions about fucking human fucking "species". But if that's your fucking bag then so fucking be it. Fucking one fucking does not fucking preclude the fucking other. And unlike fucking EP I fucking won't fucking presume to fucking tell you about your own fucking interest and fucking expertise. Much fucking less make fucking things fucking up to fucking sell a stupid fucking ill-written fucking book.

Ridiculous as I am sure you agree.

Capiche?
Last edited by Simon21 on Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Simon21

Post by Simon21 »

Minimalist wrote:Simon.... when I say "football" I don't mean that soccer stuff.
Soccer at the MCG? How dare you, AR, a ridiculous game admittedly, only - not that test cricket is much better.
circumspice

Post by circumspice »

@Simon21: The original topic was NEVER about osteoarchaeology in fucking ROMAN ERA ENGLAND. It was about a new technology enabling researchers to make positive species identifications on unidentifiable bone fragments found at various archaeological sites. (By the way, ZoomS doesn't differentiate between human species, it differentiates between animal species. Bones that are identified as belonging to the Homo genus are then identified by species through DNA testing & analysis.)

Capiche?

You are the one who fixated on the word bones & decided it was a good way to interject the only subject that you ever willingly discuss, which is fucking ROMAN ERA ENGLAND... You're a one trick pony. If we ever stray away from your comfort zone you always try to forcibly bring us back around to the only subject that you are comfortable with. Every article you linked is solely about human remains that date to the fucking ROMAN ERA IN ENGLAND. You enjoyed those articles so very much you even linked one of them twice. Talk about heavy handed overkill...

Additionally, we all know that you don't give a fuck about the original topic of this thread because you are hijacking it & redirecting it to your one beloved topic of discussion which is... fucking ROMAN ERA ENGLAND.

I asked you respectfully TWICE to refrain from hijacking my thread & remain on topic but you chose to bulldoze your way through & continue blathering about... fucking ROMAN ERA ENGLAND.

Now I'm telling you as rudely as you have behaved on this thread... Shut the fuck up about fucking ROMAN ERA ENGLAND on MY thread. Go sully somebody else's thread.

Simon21

Post by Simon21 »

circumspice wrote:@Simon21: The original topic was NEVER about osteoarchaeology in fucking ROMAN ERA ENGLAND. It was about a new technology enabling researchers to make positive species identifications on unidentifiable bone fragments found at various archaeological sites. (By the way, ZoomS doesn't differentiate between human species, it differentiates between animal species. Bones that are identified as belonging to the Homo genus are then identified by species through DNA testing & analysis.)

Capiche?

You are the one who fixated on the word bones & decided it was a good way to interject the only subject that you ever willingly discuss, which is fucking ROMAN ERA ENGLAND... You're a one trick pony. If we ever stray away from your comfort zone you always try to forcibly bring us back around to the only subject that you are comfortable with. Every article you linked is solely about human remains that date to the fucking ROMAN ERA IN ENGLAND. You enjoyed those articles so very much you even linked one of them twice. Talk about heavy handed overkill...

Additionally, we all know that you don't give a fuck about the original topic of this thread because you are hijacking it & redirecting it to your one beloved topic of discussion which is... fucking ROMAN ERA ENGLAND.

I asked you respectfully TWICE to refrain from hijacking my thread & remain on topic but you chose to bulldoze your way through & continue blathering about... fucking ROMAN ERA ENGLAND.

Now I'm telling you as rudely as you have behaved on this thread... Shut the fuck up about fucking ROMAN ERA ENGLAND on MY thread. Go sully somebody else's thread.

I have asked you to calm down and you grow more hysterical. I don't respond to abusive threats old fruit - sorry you will have to go on foaming. Trying to bully me will not work.

Screeching remarks about "hijacking" - is anyone stopping you from talking about this technology? Candidly there doesn't seem much to say at this stage. Yes it is interesting but it is early days. I was under the distinct impression that it was already posssible to tell the difference between human and animal bone.

I did ask about the notion of human species but you are too fevered to respond. Incidently the Colosseum is not in Roman Britain.

The very topic the Bones will tell seems a reference to Osteoarchaeology. Osteoarchaeology is a fascinating subject and covers many fields.

And no I am not going to apologise for my area of interest and I have noted that you do not direct your dirty venom at minimalist - why is that I wonder?

I suggest you go on if there is anything else about this technology to say and not get hysterical about those who want to broaden the discussion a little.
Last edited by Simon21 on Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Simon21

Post by Simon21 »

The fun thing about archaeology is each new find can turn a previous find on it's collective head......and there is still so very much to discover.
Well that is the wonder of archaeology how something which is interpreted one way can be in decades be reinterpreted. When they found Richard III's remains they off course did extensive testing, but one always it a pity they were entombed - though that was reasonable given his faith - what else might they have given in future times. Not least was it really him? For my money the fact that his pelvis showed signs of a dagger thrust was decisive, stabbing someone up the a... as they lay across a horse seemed a very English way of showing contempt.
circumspice

Post by circumspice »

Your one 'contribution' to the discussion that was actually on topic...

Disagree - one bloody species has caused trouble enough imagine if there were several.

You make it clear that you're not interested in this topic, so you hijack the thread & try to turn it into a discussion about all things British. Look at your comments. They all concern Britain in some manner. Roman Era cemeteries, Richard lll, British football stadiums... None of which pertains to using a new technology to identify previously unidentified bone fragments from archaeological sites. I did ask you politely to stay on topic twice. You responded by continuing the discussion about British finds. You haven't broadened the discussion. You have narrowed it & taken it over & steered in the direction that you wish it to take. You've naysayed the original discussion because it holds no value for you, probably because it doesn't concern anything about England. You pissed on my excitement & sense of wonder concerning the new technology & its possible applications in the near future.

And... Tell us... Why do you keep editing your posts?

Simon21

Post by Simon21 »

circumspice wrote:Your one 'contribution' to the discussion that was actually on topic...

Disagree - one bloody species has caused trouble enough imagine if there were several.

You make it clear that you're not interested in this topic, so you hijack the thread & try to turn it into a discussion about all things British. Look at your comments. They all concern Britain in some manner. Roman Era cemeteries, Richard lll, British football stadiums... None of which pertains to using a new technology to identify previously unidentified bone fragments from archaeological sites. I did ask you politely to stay on topic twice. You responded by continuing the discussion about British finds. You haven't broadened the discussion. You have narrowed it & taken it over & steered in the direction that you wish it to take. You've naysayed the original discussion because it holds no value for you, probably because it doesn't concern anything about England. You pissed on my excitement & sense of wonder concerning the new technology & its possible applications in the near future.

And... Tell us... Why do you keep editing your posts?
First of congrats on posting without using the f word. Progress.

I use the edit function for the same reason anyone does, to improve spelling and make the points clearer. Regrettably I suffer from poor eyesight. Why do you edit yours - to put more f@@@ in?

You do know this section is called "Old World" ? Rather implies Europe the ME or Asia one might say. It is not "USA only" The "New World" section might be more appropriate.

You really must read what people actually say. The MCG is in Melbourne, AR is aussie rules - neither have any connection whatsoever to Britain - so the phrase "all things British" is facile. In any case what exactly is your beef with British archaeology? or Roman archaeology? Why cannot one discuss it? Really sorry about the War of Independence, but given it was 200 years ago and my ancestors were catholic Irish rebels I don't really feel personally responsible. "Down with George III" I say. Does that make things better?

I have at no time attacked your interests with the same demented bullying and venom as you used to want to attack me - i did not use abusive language and threats. Fact - deal with it.

Other readers must be wearied beyond measure by this tedious recitation of non-existant grievances.

I suggest again respectfully you get over your nationalistic upset with me and go on to explain why this discovery is so dramatic. I was under the impression that it had long been possible to separate human and animal remains.
Simon21

Post by Simon21 »

Moving swiftly on one of the greatest challenges for osetoarchaology in the Old World is of course the old chestnut of the Princes in the Tower.

We have this https://www.johnashdownhill.com/johns-b ... ichard-iii

How accurate this is is anyone's guess since there is more bulldust about this subject than almost any other in medieval archaeology - Phillipa Langley herself is just on this side of sane - proven when she first saw the remains of Dick III and promptly burst into tears on seeing he really did have scoliosis (sp). She was then all for wrapping them in the Royal Standard until the archaeologists on site physically prevented her.

Interestingly given the topic, in 1933 it was found that the alleged Princes' bones in the urn seemed to have been mixed up with animal remains. Again no reason why, but one suspects that some were stolen to sell and duly replaced with anything lying around. As grisly as this sounds it is not unusual, it is claimed that as late as 1890 the Victorian Police used Ned Kelly's skull as a paperweight (and his bones were thrown into a pit at Pentridge Gaol with other condemned criminals when Old Melbourne Gaol was abandoned - later when Pentridge Gaol was being sold off osteoarchaeologists were summoned to identify them They were returned to his family in 2013 for catholic burial near his mother. The skull remains unfound but there have been several claims).

New scientific testing would settle the matter but er majesty and the Dean of Westminster have refused permission. Why one wonders.
circumspice

Post by circumspice »

I rarely ever edit my posts & none in this thread have been edited.

Another thing... What threats? You've stated twice that I've made threats. Point out any threats that I have made. It's your claim, prove it.

I have at no time attacked your interests with the same demented bullying and venom as you used to want to attack me - i did not use abusive language and threats. Fact - deal with it.

I have asked you to calm down and you grow more hysterical. I don't respond to abusive threats old fruit - sorry you will have to go on foaming. Trying to bully me will not work.

Go ahead & fill this thread with posts about the British Isles. You've totally derailed it & sullied it beyond all recognition. Enjoy your trolling.

In parting... Fuck you. :D

Simon21

Post by Simon21 »

I rarely ever edit my posts & none in this thread have been edited.
Yeah that's kinda what I thought :D Why not start! :idea:
Another thing... What threats? You've stated twice that I've made threats. Point out any threats that I have made. It's your claim, prove it.
Oh golly gee thanks but you can go through your own posts. If you would like me to undertake other odious research then please drop us a line, and I will refuse again.
Go ahead & fill this thread with posts about the British Isles. You've totally derailed it & sullied it beyond all recognition. Enjoy your trolling.

More compliments? You are a real sweetheart aren't you? Apparently you do not know when you are insulting people.
In parting... Fuck you. :D
If you like but since you are not here you will have to do that to yourself. An activity to which you are presumably well experienced. :wink:
kbs2244

Post by kbs2244 »

DON'T WE HAVE RULES ABOUT THIS KIND OF NONSENSE??