New Frescoes Uncovered in Pompeii

The Old World is a reference to those parts of Earth known to Europeans before the voyages of Christopher Columbus; it includes Europe, Asia and Africa.

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

Minimalist
Forum Moderator

New Frescoes Uncovered in Pompeii

Post by Minimalist »

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-47244338
Pompeii: Narcissus fresco uncovered by archaeologists

As punishment, a deity of revenge was then said to have led Narcissus to a pool of water where he found his own reflection.

He is said to have become so enamoured with himself that he stared at his own appearance until he died.

Reminds me of a certain politician.......
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
MichelleH
Site Admin

Re: New Frescoes Uncovered in Pompeii

Post by MichelleH »

And the owner of the New England Pats......
We've Got Fossils - We win ~ Lewis Black

Red meat, cheese, tobacco, and liquor...it works for me ~ Anthony Bourdain

Atheism is a non-prophet organization.
Simon21

Post by Simon21 »

I doubt if the water would be so clear
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Come now. I'm sure Kraft was just trying to inflate his balls.

That seems to be a big thing in New England!
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
kbs2244

Post by kbs2244 »

Actually, if memory serves, it was under-inflated footballs.
For a better grip?
circumspice

Post by circumspice »

It used to be legal in the NFL for receivers to put 'stickum' on their hands so the ball would be easier to control once it was caught. No butter-fingers for receivers... That was outlawed long ago by NFL rules though.
"Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test." ~ Robert G. Ingersoll

"Damn with faint praise, assent with civil leer, and, without sneering, teach the rest to sneer." ~ Alexander Pope
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

kbs2244 wrote:Actually, if memory serves, it was under-inflated footballs.
For a better grip?

What use is an uninflated blimp?

-- George Carlin
Simon21

Post by Simon21 »

It used to be legal in the NFL for receivers to put 'stickum' on their hands so the ball would be easier to control once it was caught. No butter-fingers for receivers... That was outlawed long ago by NFL rules though.
"Damn with faint praise, assent with civil leer, and, without sneering, teach the rest to sneer." ~ Alexander Pope
circumspice

But how did they shake hands and perform other functions?
circumspice

Post by circumspice »

From what I understand, it wasn't like super glue... It was more like the adhesive on post-it notes. And most players who handle the football have those towels that hang from the waistband of their pants, so I imagine that the stickum was a non-issue.
"Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test." ~ Robert G. Ingersoll