The Nile delta in the Sinai

The Old World is a reference to those parts of Earth known to Europeans before the voyages of Christopher Columbus; it includes Europe, Asia and Africa.

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

kbs2244

The Nile delta in the Sinai

Post by kbs2244 »

From todays news page

http://english.ahram.org.eg/NewsContent ... cover.aspx

I find the reference to a dried up branch of the Nile interesting.

The present day North Sinai government district is east of the Suez Canal.
A long way from the Nile.

This would mean that in Roman times the Nile delta spread far more to the east than presently.

Some time ago we had a long discussion on the Nile flowing into the Red Sea.
This may be more evidence of that possibility.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Re: The Nile delta in the Sinai

Post by Minimalist »

Certainly not an unreasonable hypothesis.

I mean, this is what Tanis looks like today.

Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
circumspice

Re: The Nile delta in the Sinai

Post by circumspice »

Branches of the Nile are always silting up & changing course. This happens on all the great rivers. Look at what happened to the Harrapan civilization. Once their major channels started drying up, they began to abandon all the larger cities, migrating to the smaller ones where rivers were still reliable. Unless the Egyptian authorities keep the Nile dredged on a regular basis, that oxbow at Dendarra is going to close off & the Nile will change its course slightly, probably just enough to make Dendarra a footnote in history.
"Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test." ~ Robert G. Ingersoll

"Damn with faint praise, assent with civil leer, and, without sneering, teach the rest to sneer." ~ Alexander Pope