Mummy Cache Opened on Live TV

The Old World is a reference to those parts of Earth known to Europeans before the voyages of Christopher Columbus; it includes Europe, Asia and Africa.

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Mummy Cache Opened on Live TV

Post by Minimalist »

The Egyptians are desperate to revive the tourism industry!

https://www.rawstory.com/2019/04/thousa ... d-live-tv/
Thousands-year-old Egyptian sarcophagus opened on live TV

A Ptolemaic site, south of Cairo. And Zahi Hawass reappears.
And the team’s efforts had not gone to waste: inside was a pristinely linen-wrapped mummy surrounded by treasure including gold.

“I can’t believe this, this is incredible,” exclaimed Zahi Hawass, an Egyptian archaeologist and former antiquities minister, who had taken charge of the expedition with American explorer Josh Gates as the host of the broadcast.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
circumspice

Re: Mummy Cache Opened on Live TV

Post by circumspice »

I doubt that there is any way to regain the general public's trust for the safety & well being of tourists in Egypt. More than a decade ago I sat on a plane that had landed in Cairo for an in-flight emergency for half a day. The Egyptian government forced the pilot to taxi the plane to an isolated, disused runway to await repairs. They sent armed 'guards' (clad in all black clothing with ski masks to hide their faces & automatic rifles) to keep us isolated from the rest of the airport. They may as well have placed a flashing neon sign with a pointing arrow directed at our plane saying "Americans here"... This, of course, was in the height of the summer heat... We sweltered for hours & all they sent us was oranges & warm bottled water... When the plane's engines aren't running the bathrooms don't function... All in all a bad experience. We could just barely see the pyramids off in distance. (closest I ever got to them)
"Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test." ~ Robert G. Ingersoll

"Damn with faint praise, assent with civil leer, and, without sneering, teach the rest to sneer." ~ Alexander Pope
Simon21

Re: Mummy Cache Opened on Live TV

Post by Simon21 »

I had similar experiences in Israel, guns pointed at you everytwhere from bus stations to the the actual bus, accused of being a bomber (for a joke?), passport seized (another joke), watched a friend get slapped by hostel boss, endless lectures on why arabs are no good. Most initimidating place in the world I've ever visited, though I have never been to Columbia which I am told is worse.