Another Hobbit!

The Old World is a reference to those parts of Earth known to Europeans before the voyages of Christopher Columbus; it includes Europe, Asia and Africa.

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

kbs2244

Re: Another Hobbit!

Post by kbs2244 »

How much of the FOXP2 gene has been found in flocking birds or schooling fish?

I will admit to not being a fan of media convictions.
But I am always open to well documented opinions.

I cannot remember when I decided that “3 out of 10” are victims of something that means that seven out of ten ire not.
But show me the facts to back up your opinion.
circumspice

Post by circumspice »

kbs2244 wrote:How much of the FOXP2 gene has been found in flocking birds or schooling fish?

I will admit to not being a fan of media convictions.
But I am always open to well documented opinions.

I cannot remember when I decided that “3 out of 10” are victims of something that means that seven out of ten ire not.
But show me the facts to back up your opinion.

Any facts that anyone shows you will always be naysayed by you. You will say they are opinions & not facts... You have already decided that no one can prove anything to you on any subject. You ALWAYS try to shoot down anything that doesn't conform to your belief system. You are hide bound into a narrow set of beliefs & will not be swayed by any set of facts or proofs or evidence. It is a fool's errand to try to persuade you on any subject. Why do you even bother to comment on this board? I suspect that you are trying to gain converts. Evangelize much?
"Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test." ~ Robert G. Ingersoll

"Damn with faint praise, assent with civil leer, and, without sneering, teach the rest to sneer." ~ Alexander Pope
Cognito

Post by Cognito »

Very interesting comment, KB, since we were discussing primates. For a review of the FOX2P gene, please see this from Wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FOXP2

The following article is for Spice since he will know where I was headed with my Hobbit gene comment vis a vis its morphological similarity to A afarensis: http://www.evolutionpages.com/FOXP2_language.htm
Natural selection favors the paranoid
circumspice

Post by circumspice »

Cognito wrote:
Very interesting comment, KB, since we were discussing primates. For a review of the FOX2P gene, please see this from Wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FOXP2

The following article is for Spice since he will know where I was headed with my Hobbit gene comment vis a vis its morphological similarity to A afarensis: http://www.evolutionpages.com/FOXP2_language.htm

Wow... That's a lot to take in & process... I have never been a fan of sensationalized headline whoring. They always present an over simplified view of complex issues. My son is a geneticist. I'll ask him to translate this article for me. Thanks for the link to an interesting article.

And yes, I believe I see where you're headed with your comments. I'll need to think on this for a while.
"Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test." ~ Robert G. Ingersoll

"Damn with faint praise, assent with civil leer, and, without sneering, teach the rest to sneer." ~ Alexander Pope
circumspice

Post by circumspice »

I can remember a time before the advent of reliable DNA genome sequencing there were many anthropologists who claimed that Neanderthals were non-vocal/non-verbal because a hyoid bone had never been found in an indisputable context with Neanderthal remains. Then a set of Neanderthal remains were found that clearly showed that Neanderthals had hyoids & therefore could probably vocalize/verbalize efficiently... The naysayers then promptly countered that pigs also have hyoid bones & were not considered to be verbal... Hmmm... It would seem that physical proofs weren't good enough to show that Neanderthals probably had speech. The same arguments were carried on when a Broca's Area was observed inside the fossilized skulls of some Neanderthal individuals. What I see is that no matter what the proofs or evidence shows, some folks want to discount it. Perhaps it's because Neanderthals & other Homo species don't conform to some people's biased standards of what constitutes humanity on a shallow morphological level. (ie: they ain't pretty enough to be considered human?)