Waterloo limbs

The Old World is a reference to those parts of Earth known to Europeans before the voyages of Christopher Columbus; it includes Europe, Asia and Africa.

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

Simon21

Re: Waterloo limbs

Post by Simon21 »

[quote="circumspice"]Yes, the discovery of the actual organism that causes malaria took place in 1880... Your point being?
Did I, at any time, mention any dates about the malarial treatment for syphilis? So sorry to ruin your "HAH!" moment...

***How do you deliberately infect a patient with malaria, you ask? By injecting the patient with the Plasmodium protozoa, not unlike the way a mosquito injects it... Next question?

I don't have "aha moments" I leave that to smaller minds and neurotic Americans who lose their temper whenever corrected.

However I am duly grateful for the citation of whiuch I cheerfully admit I was unaware. It is gratifying to learn the good DR died in 1940, so we know all his patients must have been voluntary.
circumspice

Post by circumspice »

First off... None of your corrections are ever 'correct'. They are merely your kneejerk reaction to something that you disbelieve. Secondly, I never said aha moments... I said "HAH!" moment. Thirdly, neither of the articles cited ever stated that any of the patients had voluntarily consented to their treatments. They were all committed mental patients under the treatment of a psychiatrist... So how did you conclude that their consent was a 'fact'?

See how you distort issues with your kneejerk reactions?
"Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test." ~ Robert G. Ingersoll

"Damn with faint praise, assent with civil leer, and, without sneering, teach the rest to sneer." ~ Alexander Pope
Simon21

Post by Simon21 »

circumspice wrote:First off... None of your corrections are ever 'correct'. They are merely your kneejerk reaction to something that you disbelieve. Secondly, I never said aha moments... I said "HAH!" moment. Thirdly, neither of the articles cited ever stated that any of the patients had voluntarily consented to their treatments. They were all committed mental patients under the treatment of a psychiatrist... So how did you conclude that their consent was a 'fact'?

See how you distort issues with your kneejerk reactions?
As I say neuroitic Americans who start foaming at any and every correcton.

Let's do this nicely.

1. A simple reading of this exchange shows I have corrected you on at least one occasion.

2. I readily concede aha is not hah. However so extreme and farcical is the pedantry that one never thought one would have to say this to a sentient adult.

3. My last point is the most serious. I was of course referring to the hideous fact that in the late 1930s and eary 1940s mental patients were used for abominable experiments by the Third Reich which included Austria, regardless of the victims, their families etc and the intention was not to cure.

Since the good dr died in 1940 he was unlikely to have been much involved.

Once again I am grateful for the knowledge. Try to calm down.
circumspice

Post by circumspice »

:roll: Learn how to type & learn how to spell. :roll:
"Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test." ~ Robert G. Ingersoll

"Damn with faint praise, assent with civil leer, and, without sneering, teach the rest to sneer." ~ Alexander Pope
Simon21

Post by Simon21 »

:D When you learn to control your temper. :D

Then you will be more popular!
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

In keeping with the theme:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-49508521
Mystery of Napoleon's favourite general may be solved in Russian discovery
A one-legged skeleton discovered under a dance floor in Russia may hold the key to a centuries-old mystery involving Napoleon's favourite general.

Charles-Étienne Gudin died aged 44 after he was hit by a cannonball during the French invasion of Russia in 1812.

He had to have his leg amputated and died three days later from gangrene.

Archaeologists believe the skeleton found in the city of Smolensk, west of Mos
Gudin was a divisional commander in Davout's Corps.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Simon21

Post by Simon21 »

Minimalist wrote:In keeping with the theme:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-49508521
Mystery of Napoleon's favourite general may be solved in Russian discovery
A one-legged skeleton discovered under a dance floor in Russia may hold the key to a centuries-old mystery involving Napoleon's favourite general.

Charles-Étienne Gudin died aged 44 after he was hit by a cannonball during the French invasion of Russia in 1812.

He had to have his leg amputated and died three days later from gangrene.

Archaeologists believe the skeleton found in the city of Smolensk, west of Mos
Gudin was a divisional commander in Davout's Corps.
Interesting story. Saw a gangrened leg in a pathology lab - pretty appalling.

Funny time to choose to go dancing. Should have rested up. Davout was a pretty fierce disciplinarian, maybe it was orders.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Gudin, along with Charles Morand and Louis Friant had commanded divisions under Davout since 1805. They must have known him by then.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Confirmed. DNA shows that it is Gudin's body.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/1 ... nce-floor/
One-legged skeleton found under Russian dance floor is Napoleon's 'lost general', DNA tests confirm

-- George Carlin
Simon21

Post by Simon21 »

Many of Napoleon's Marshals seem to have died from wounds such as this. I read that as the empire came under heavy attack in 1812 officers had to expose themselves more to the enemy in order to steady the new recruits as they ran out of veterans and experienced troops.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

It was pretty common in every army.

"Don't worry boys, they couldn't hit an elephant at this dist......"

-- General John Sedgewick, Union 6th Corps Commander, at Spotsvylvania 1864

-- George Carlin