Nefertiti in the news again

The Old World is a reference to those parts of Earth known to Europeans before the voyages of Christopher Columbus; it includes Europe, Asia and Africa.

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

circumspice

Nefertiti in the news again

Post by circumspice »

Earlier today I read a news article published by the The Express UK. It was dated November 8, 2019. It was an interview of Zahi Hawass at some museum event. He stated that they were within one week of finding the location of Nefertiti's tomb in the Valley of the Queens... Well... it's been a week since the article was published & I have yet to see any headlines or feature stories... I didn't link the original article because it was so disjointed & incoherent. It was an embarrassment just reading that steaming hot mess...

Has anyone here heard any follow up on this subject?
"Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test." ~ Robert G. Ingersoll

"Damn with faint praise, assent with civil leer, and, without sneering, teach the rest to sneer." ~ Alexander Pope
Simon21

Re: Nefertiti in the news again

Post by Simon21 »

I never read the Express, I don't beleive "migrans" are responsible for the UK's ills or that Trade Unions are inventions of the Devil so it has nothing for me.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Does Zahi ever admit when he is wrong?
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
circumspice

Post by circumspice »

Minimalist wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 2:21 pm Does Zahi ever admit when he is wrong?
Apparently not... this is the latest news I could find on the subject. It's an article from about 3 weeks ago.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.telegr ... ading/amp/
"Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test." ~ Robert G. Ingersoll

"Damn with faint praise, assent with civil leer, and, without sneering, teach the rest to sneer." ~ Alexander Pope
circumspice

Post by circumspice »

And... a bit more, from about 5 months ago:

https://www.theyucatantimes.com/2019/06 ... tologists/

Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

At some point one needs to admit that archaeologists use these kinds of sensational claims to build interest and maybe even fundraising. A headline that "Tomb of Some Schmuck Found" is not likely to elicit a lot of interest. I recall when they were pushing the idea that Alexander's Tomb had been found in Greece. It wasn't but stories about the final result ended up in one column inch of page 47 near the obituaries!
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Cognito

Post by Cognito »

At some point one needs to admit that archaeologists use these kinds of sensational claims to build interest and maybe even fundraising.
Exactly. Zahi has more lives than a cat and has done quite well amidst difficult political surroundings. Raise money? Aggrandize himself? Build interest for tourism? Never forget that Zahi is a self-interested marketeer as well as an archaeologist. :D
Natural selection favors the paranoid
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

In truth, sometimes the rely on the gullibility of headline writers - who are always looking for a sensational attraction themselves - to do it for them.

I recall some years ago when the press had a headline about how the Jesus House had been found in Nazareth. When you read the actual release from the Israel Antiquities Authority it basically said they had found a wall with some pottery from the early Roman period ( 1st & 2d centuries AD) which they duly noted was the time of jesus...(partially true). They they sat back and let the newspapers do the rest for them. The one thing the Jews and Arabs agree on is the desirability of sucking money out of gullible xtians!

Oh well, business is business.

-- George Carlin
circumspice

Post by circumspice »

More teasers, also more fluff & misdirection.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/12 ... ss-spt/amp

circumspice

Post by circumspice »

This article is nearly a decade old but it addresses the DNA results for Tut's proposed familial relationships. Still on topic in regards to drilling down who was related to whom & who wasn't...

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/maga ... 9/tut-dna/

Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

I've often wondered about that Circ. There was so much incestuous marriage among the Egyptian royal family that the distinctions in DNA would have to be microscopically small.

-- George Carlin
Simon21

Post by Simon21 »

by Minimalist » Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:21 pm

Does Zahi ever admit when he is wrong?

Who knows but it always cheering when someone from a despised and exploited country speaks up and gets Westerners to take notice.

One remembers the Maori and Koories who when they asked for their sacred objects and bits of their ancestors to be returned from vatrious museums were given pious lectures on the need to "preserve" the objects to which the answer in one case was FO - just give them back.
Simon21

Post by Simon21 »

There was a book published about 2 years ago about Champollion and the translation of hieroglyphics. The book spelled out how the British and French looted Egypt even ripping out the Rosetta down and other artefacts without the slightest regard for the Egyptian people.
It is not surprising that there is lingering resentment.
circumspice

Post by circumspice »

Simon21 wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:05 pm There was a book published about 2 years ago about Champollion and the translation of hieroglyphics. The book spelled out how the British and French looted Egypt even ripping out the Rosetta down and other artefacts without the slightest regard for the Egyptian people.
It is not surprising that there is lingering resentment.

While British & French did indeed loot Egypt & other colonial possessions, the Rosetta Stone was looted from its original location in antiquity, possibly late antiquity,
inferring that the Arab conquerors did the original looting. Try to keep the facts straight rather than relying on your typical, uninformed knee jerk reactions...

The stone was carved during the Hellenistic period and is believed to have originally been displayed within a temple, possibly at nearby Sais. It was probably moved in late antiquity or during the Mameluk period, and was eventually used as building material in the construction of Fort Julien near the town of Rashid (Rosetta) in the Nile Delta. It was discovered there in July 1799 by French soldier Pierre-François Bouchard during the Napoleonic campaign in Egypt.

jonamz

Post by jonamz »

Oh boy, isn't she!

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/201 ... oh-saatchi

By the way, I'm neither an archaeologist or a historian, or anything related, I just find it fascinating how we -others! - try to work what did happen and who did what.