This is Interesting - To Say The Least.

The Old World is a reference to those parts of Earth known to Europeans before the voyages of Christopher Columbus; it includes Europe, Asia and Africa.

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

Minimalist
Forum Moderator

This is Interesting - To Say The Least.

Post by Minimalist »

https://www.haaretz.com/archaeology/.pre...-1.8439072
Remains Found by Pompeii Really Are Pliny the Elder, New Tests Indicate

The cranium really does belong to the Roman admiral who died leading a rescue mission after Vesuvius erupted, even if the jaw doesn't, researchers say
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
circumspice

Re: This is Interesting - To Say The Least.

Post by circumspice »

I looked up additional info on Pliny the Elder. Everywhere I looked, the story was much the same. I vaguely recalled that Pliny's body was said to have been recovered & given a proper burial. So I continued to look. I didn't find anything though. However, in reading comments connected with one of the articles I found this comment. It echoed my thoughts on the subject. You be the judge...

Vladimir Stissi 03 February 2020 15:49
This whole fuzz is completely nonsensical, no wonder this was not published in a peer reviewed journal (and this find was never taken very seriously in the first place). Ancient texts clearly indicate Plinius' body was found after the eruption, which seems to imply it was recovered and properly buried, although this is not entirely certain. In any case, the group of bodies the skull (probably) belongs to was covered by the eruption and not seen again till the modern rediscovery. Unless we discredit the ancient texts (for which there is no reason) there is no reason to even consider the skull could have belonged to Pliny.

"Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test." ~ Robert G. Ingersoll

"Damn with faint praise, assent with civil leer, and, without sneering, teach the rest to sneer." ~ Alexander Pope
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

The article is dated Jan 23 and indicates that the findings were presented at that time. It's only two weeks ago.
The main finding of the researchers, who presented their conclusions at a conference in Rome on Thursday, is that the jawbone belonged to a different person, but that the skull is compatible with what we know about Pliny at his death.

I imagine at some point the test results on the teeth will be presented.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Simon21

Post by Simon21 »

Weren't Romans at this time cremated?
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Our witness, Pliny the Younger only says they recovered his body - not what became of it.

http://www.eyewitnesstohistory.com/pompeii.htm

Then the flames and smell of sulphur which gave warning of the approaching fire drove the others to take flight and roused him to stand up. He stood leaning on two slaves and then suddenly collapsed, I imagine because the dense, fumes choked his breathing by blocking his windpipe which was constitutionally weak and narrow and often inflamed. When daylight returned on the 26th - two days after the last day he had been seen - his body was found intact and uninjured, still fully clothed and looking more like sleep than death.
Cremation was most common in the first century but burial was not unknown. Given the circumstances of the time and place perhaps they took the easy way out? Who knows?

-- George Carlin
Simon21

Post by Simon21 »

Given admiral Piiny's status, I think he would have been cremated according to the traditional rites.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Catastrophes have a way of changing things. Besides, can you imagine what he smelled like two days later in that heat?

-- George Carlin
Simon21

Post by Simon21 »

No worse than a slave who been crucified for a week
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Reminds me of the line in Holy Grail where Arthur goes "riding" by and one peasant says to the other.

" 'e must be a king or something."

"Why?" asks the second.

" 'e ain't got shit all over 'im."

-- George Carlin
Simon21

Post by Simon21 »

Mary Beard claims your average Roman would have had halitosis that could blister paint.

So the sense of smell in ancient times was probably dulled.

Interestingly she also points out that according to the archaeology (large numbers of extracted teeth, some showing evidence of blood) the temple of the Gemini stood over a dentists.