Where is all the "STUFF" from Pompeii?

The Old World is a reference to those parts of Earth known to Europeans before the voyages of Christopher Columbus; it includes Europe, Asia and Africa.

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

circumspice

Re: Where is all the "STUFF" from Pompeii?

Post by circumspice »

Wow... That was an eye opening documentary. Thanks Min!
"Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test." ~ Robert G. Ingersoll

"Damn with faint praise, assent with civil leer, and, without sneering, teach the rest to sneer." ~ Alexander Pope
Simon21

Post by Simon21 »

The date is wring it is now thought Pompeii was destroyed in October.
Greatly

Post by Greatly »

I'm sure they are worried about theft or vandalism.
Simon21

Post by Simon21 »

Both of which have taken part in abundance
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Really it is only in the last 50 years that people have begun to worry about the pilfering of archaeological sites. Sadly, I suspect that a lot of that concern began because of the fraudulent "antiquities" that flooded the market.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Simon21

Post by Simon21 »

I don't altogether agree, at one time pilfering from archaeological sites was considered the "perk" of being a colonial power. If you had asked an Australian anthropologist/archaeologist if he was entitled to loot Koorie sites - loud laughter would have been the response
Greatly

Post by Greatly »

I'm sure they are worried about theft or vandalism.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

New Finds at Pompeii

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/11/21/worl ... mains.html
Remains of Two Killed in Vesuvius Eruption Are Discovered at Pompeii

Archaeologists tentatively identified the pair as a wealthy landowner and a younger enslaved person, both of whom were killed in the 79 A.D. eruption.
ROME — Excavations at a suburban villa outside ancient Pompeii this month have recovered the remains of two original dwellers frozen in time by an eruption of Mount Vesuvius one fateful morning nearly 2,000 years ago.

The unearthing of the two victims — whom archaeologists tentatively identified as a wealthy Pompeian landowner and a younger enslaved person — offered new insight into the eruption that buried the ancient Roman town, which has been a source of popular fascination since its rediscovery in the 18th century.

The finding is an “incredible font of knowledge for us,” said Massimo Osanna, the departing director of the Archaeological Park of Pompeii, said in a video issued by the Culture Ministry on Saturday. He noted that it was also “a touching discovery of great emotional impact.”

For one thing, the two were dressed in woolen clothing, adding credence to the belief that the eruption occurred in October of 79 A.D. rather than in August of that year as had previously been thought, Mr. Osanna said later in a telephone interview.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
circumspice

Post by circumspice »

Well damn... I'm beginning to get really sick of politically correct terms for "institutions & persons". Let's get real here. The institution of slavery was & still is abhorrent. It's just plain evil. But why... why is the noun 'slave' somehow objectionable? Why must we shift to the new term 'enslaved person'??? It seems to me that the word police are trying to diminish what slaves experienced. What's next? Is the noun dog too objectionable for tender sensibilities? Will we be calling them canines because the word dog is frequently used as a pejorative term? Next we'll be renaming tom cats, alley cats & junkyard dogs... This silly shit needs to stop. We don't live in the Victorian era, when the word for a human leg was transformed into limb, the word for a chicken leg became drumstick, the word for a chicken thigh became dark meat & the word for a chicken breast became white meat. The polite niceties are becoming onerous, to say the least. Pretty soon many nouns will become euphemisms for fear of offending someone.
"Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test." ~ Robert G. Ingersoll

"Damn with faint praise, assent with civil leer, and, without sneering, teach the rest to sneer." ~ Alexander Pope