Hegra - Saudi Arabia Opens Nabataean Site to Tourism

The Old World is a reference to those parts of Earth known to Europeans before the voyages of Christopher Columbus; it includes Europe, Asia and Africa.

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Hegra - Saudi Arabia Opens Nabataean Site to Tourism

Post by Minimalist »

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/travel/h ... M2MjE1NQS2

Hegra, an Ancient City in Saudi Arabia Untouched for Millennia, Makes Its Public Debut
The archaeological site, now open to tourists, offers clues about the mysterious empire that built it and its more famous sister city of Petra in Jordan

If the Saudis want western tourists they better open hotels with well-stocked bars! Allah will have to get over it.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
circumspice

Re: Hegra - Saudi Arabia Opens Nabataean Site to Tourism

Post by circumspice »

There are places in Saudi Arabia that are similar to the Green Zone in Baghdad, Iraq. Same for Dubai. You can drink in Dubai but not in Sharjah, in the UAE. It's just a matter of knowing where it is tolerated. I think that it's the same way in Kuwait, but I'm not certain about that.
"Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test." ~ Robert G. Ingersoll

"Damn with faint praise, assent with civil leer, and, without sneering, teach the rest to sneer." ~ Alexander Pope
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Saudi Arabia is under the domination of those wahabist morons.

But money usually wins out in the end.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
circumspice

Post by circumspice »

Oh hell yeah! The funny part about visiting or working in Saudi Arabia, Kuwait & the UAE was that even in Sharjah, it was like being in Las Vegas. The same type of nondescript off-strip hotels, the same type of urban lighting at night as Las Vegas, the same 24/7/365 street traffic, the same climate... It was almost like never leaving the States.
"Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test." ~ Robert G. Ingersoll

"Damn with faint praise, assent with civil leer, and, without sneering, teach the rest to sneer." ~ Alexander Pope
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

What a blessing American culture has been to the world, huh?

-- George Carlin
circumspice

Post by circumspice »

It's better than living in a sandy tent, wiping your ass with your bare left hand because your culture doesn't use toilet paper & water is too precious to waste on cleaning said shitty ass... Maybe I'm frivolous but give me proper hygiene any day.

Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

But that's the way allah likes it!

-- George Carlin
Simon21

Post by Simon21 »

Personally it is difficult to see why the Saudi people have to apologise and change their customs. If they don't want to licence alcohol that is up to them. If they want to dress as bedouins then that too is up to them. You can buy a drink in Jerusalem. You can also find groups of men in dark suits and hats who order you to leave their area. And if you inadvertently enter a food shop before Shabat you can find yourself physically assaulted in the rush to the counter, queuing apparently being a foreign custom.

Countries have their customs
Simon21

Post by Simon21 »

It is odd the US attitude to non-white, non jewish people of the ME. On one hand it gives weapons, money, winks at state terrorism (provided it's against their own people), gives and accepts state visits. On the other it resorts to racist contempt calling them all "arabs" assuming everyone is a "moslem" and pedalling racial stereotypes and abusing them for not being like Likud Israel.

No wonder the place is such a mess.
circumspice

Post by circumspice »

Hey simple Simon, you simpleton. Your antisemitism is on display for all to see. Maybe you forgot to hide it? tsk tsk :mrgreen:

Simon21

Post by Simon21 »

Oh dear coming from a confirmed racist who probably denies the holocaust (if they know what it was) that is rich. Like being accused of racism by the Broederbund.

The US has been a disaster in the ME largely due to people with bigoted views like yours. A country that cannot eliminate brutal racism from its own enforcement officers, perhaps should not get itself involved in an ex colonial area which of all requires respect and tolerance - not the hangdog racism.
you display.

But thanks for confirming my point. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
circumspice

Post by circumspice »

As per usual simple Simon, you're delusional & tossing turds around hoping that some will stick somewhere to pull the attention away from your gaffes. Cheers! :mrgreen:

Simon21

Post by Simon21 »

Oh dear no answer Hucklebery?

Do tell us what is the source of your obsession with human excrement?

"It's better than living in a sandy tent, wiping your ass with your bare left hand because your culture doesn't use toilet paper & water is too precious to waste on cleaning said shitty ass... Maybe I'm frivolous but give me proper hygiene any day."

"Tossing turds"

Your brothers do something to you?

You have my sympathy. :|

But cut the racist drivel.

Last edited by Simon21 on Fri Dec 11, 2020 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
circumspice

Post by circumspice »

Like I said before simple Simon... your antisemitism is on display for all to see. Why do you feel the need to denigrate the Jews? Why is it that you are obsessed with the Jews? The quotes below are your own words. Have you become senile & are unable to understand what you post?
Simon21 wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 2:11 am It is odd the US attitude to non-white, non jewish people of the ME. On one hand it gives weapons, money, winks at state terrorism (provided it's against their own people), gives and accepts state visits. On the other it resorts to racist contempt calling them all "arabs" assuming everyone is a "moslem" and pedalling racial stereotypes and abusing them for not being like Likud Israel.

No wonder the place is such a mess.

Simon21 wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 2:03 am Personally it is difficult to see why the Saudi people have to apologise and change their customs. If they don't want to licence alcohol that is up to them. If they want to dress as bedouins then that too is up to them. You can buy a drink in Jerusalem. You can also find groups of men in dark suits and hats who order you to leave their area. And if you inadvertently enter a food shop before Shabat you can find yourself physically assaulted in the rush to the counter, queuing apparently being a foreign custom.

Countries have their customs

Simon21

Post by Simon21 »

Ho ho and this is not denigration?:
"It's better than living in a sandy tent, wiping your ass with your bare left hand because your culture doesn't use toilet paper & water is too precious to waste on cleaning said shitty ass... Maybe I'm frivolous but give me proper hygiene any day."

What did I say about
pedalling racial stereotypes
? Geddit?

Let me enlighten you of the KKK. The nomadic people of the ME (and elsewhere) are subject to brutal discrimination throughout the area from people like you.

Israeli bedouin have had their villages flattened. In Tunisia they are rounded up (or were) for conscription. In Saudi the leaders dress up like them and go to have cocktails (so islamic). They are seen as an embarrassment.

And now they have a potty brained yank sticking his oar in. Oh so superior.

The bedouin, Koories etc have their problems god knows but at least they are not obsessed with human waste as you are Huck

So as I say cut the racist drivel.
Last edited by Simon21 on Sun Dec 13, 2020 12:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.