Okay, So It Isn't Exactly a Munich beer Hall...

The Old World is a reference to those parts of Earth known to Europeans before the voyages of Christopher Columbus; it includes Europe, Asia and Africa.

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Okay, So It Isn't Exactly a Munich beer Hall...

Post by Minimalist »

Keep up the good work, boys.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/02/14/middleea ... index.html

Archaeologists discover ancient beer factory in Egypt
Well-aged.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
circumspice

Re: Okay, So It Isn't Exactly a Munich beer Hall...

Post by circumspice »

Thanks Min. Hopefully they'll publish quickly. It's not like they currently have a whole lot of irons in the fire.
"Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test." ~ Robert G. Ingersoll

"Damn with faint praise, assent with civil leer, and, without sneering, teach the rest to sneer." ~ Alexander Pope
Simon21

Post by Simon21 »

My eldest went on a tour of Soweto and was offered the chance to drink at a Shebeen (supposedly illegal beer stube - so illegal there were tourist tours of it). The beverage of choice was "kaffirbeer", allegedly the oldest type of beer in the world and the one allegedly drunk in Egypt etc. It's served in milk cartons cut in half. \he said he considered himself lucky to come back alive, being the foulest brew he had ever consumed, like an extremely bitter version of soapy dishwater.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

https://www.vice.com/en/article/mbkbxa/ ... astes-like
The team then turned to a more unusual (/way cooler) source of beer guidance: the Ancient Egyptian hymn to Ninkasi, the Goddess of Beer. Helpfully engraved into a clay tablet, the hymn details the Egyptian goddess’ step-by-step brewing method. According to Ancient Egyptian scripture, brewing beer was a daily ritual for Ninkasi—which is probably the holiest thing I’ve ever heard.

"In this hymn, from about 1800 BC, it outlines to process of making beer," says Marks. “That was quite a good guide for us.”
Some historians believe the Ancient Egyptians drank extremely thick beer with a porridge-like consistency, but Marks, Charles, and Boyle’s research led them to think otherwise—not least because the alcohol percentage would make the weird porridge mix largely undrinkable.

“If it was thick, not only would people not only want to drink it, but it would have had so much starch in it,” explains Marks. “If it was a porridgy mixture that was fermented it would be such a strong beer that nobody would be able to drink it.”
Somehow, I think I'll stick with Heineken.

Although you have to appreciate a culture with a goddess of beer.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Simon21

Post by Simon21 »

Fermented bitter porridge for everyone!