Major New Find in Egypt

The Old World is a reference to those parts of Earth known to Europeans before the voyages of Christopher Columbus; it includes Europe, Asia and Africa.

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Major New Find in Egypt

Post by Minimalist »

This will keep them busy for years. City dates to Amenhotep III.

https://edition.cnn.com/style/article/e ... index.html

Archaeologists discover 3,000-year-old Egyptian city, left 'as if it were yesterday'

A group of archaeologists has found the largest ancient city ever discovered in Egypt, dating back 3,000 years.
The city, named "The Rise of Aten," was discovered under the sand on the western bank of Luxor, lead archaeologist Zahi Hawass said in a statement.
It dates to the reign of King Amenhotep III, who ruled Egypt between 1391 and 1353 BCE, according to the statement.
"It was the largest administrative and industrial settlement in the era of the Egyptian empire," Hawass said.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Re: Major New Find in Egypt

Post by Minimalist »

A follow up article.

https://theconversation.com/the-discove ... ypt-158874

An almost 3,400-year-old industrial, royal metropolis, “the Dazzling Aten”, has been found on the west bank of the Nile near the modern day city of Luxor.

Announced last week by the famed Egyptian archaeologist Dr Zahi Hawass, the find has been compared in importance to the discovery of Tutankhamen’s tomb almost a century earlier.

Built by Amenhotep III and then used by his grandson Tutankhamen, the ruins of the city were an accidental discovery. In September last year, Hawass and his team were searching for a mortuary temple of Tutankhamen.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Simon21

Post by Simon21 »

Interesting stuff. One day in the distant future there will be a remarkable find in Egypt which is not compared to Tutankhamun's tomb.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

I wouldn't hold my breath. Tut will be the gold standard until something better comes along.

-- George Carlin