Tombos in Sudan.... Neighbor of the Old Kingdom of Egypt

The Old World is a reference to those parts of Earth known to Europeans before the voyages of Christopher Columbus; it includes Europe, Asia and Africa.

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Tombos in Sudan.... Neighbor of the Old Kingdom of Egypt

Post by Minimalist »

The author is correct. One rarely hears about anything outside of Egypt.

https://theconversation.com/archaeologi ... dan-174575

Archaeological site along the Nile opens a window on the Nubian civilization that flourished in ancient Sudan
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
circumspice

Re: Tombos in Sudan.... Neighbor of the Old Kingdom of Egypt

Post by circumspice »

Vestiges of the 17th-20th century paternalistic, colonialist mentality. The same way they decided that Great Zimbabwe 'couldn't' have been built & peopled by sub Saharan, non white people.

I'd love to get a hold of Belzoni & horsewhip him. He did irreparable damage wherever he went & he held non whites in contempt? 🤢🤮
"Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test." ~ Robert G. Ingersoll

"Damn with faint praise, assent with civil leer, and, without sneering, teach the rest to sneer." ~ Alexander Pope
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Re: Tombos in Sudan.... Neighbor of the Old Kingdom of Egypt

Post by Minimalist »

Absolutely. But it was a commonplace attitude at the time as you say.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin