Neanderthal News

The science or study of primitive societies and the nature of man.

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

MichelleH
Site Admin

Post by MichelleH »

A little more on Neanderthal DNA from Genome Web:

Neanderthal Draft Genome Sequence, Targeted Sequences Shine Light on Human Evolution

http://www.genomeweb.com/sequencing/nea ... -evolution
We've Got Fossils - We win ~ Lewis Black

Red meat, cheese, tobacco, and liquor...it works for me ~ Anthony Bourdain

Atheism is a non-prophet organization.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Is anyone else confused by this line?
Based on the results, the scientists believe that Neandertals and modern humans diverged about 830,000 years ago. Based on simulations, the two populations diverged on the order of 300,000 years ago, although there is significant uncertainty associated with that number.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Digit

Post by Digit »

Totally!

Roy.
First people deny a thing, then they belittle it, then they say it was known all along! Von Humboldt
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Whew....I thought it was just me.

:D
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Re: Neanderthal News

Post by Minimalist »

So now, it seems, there weren't very many of them anyway!

http://www.livescience.com/culture/0907 ... ation.html
Neanderthals are of course extinct. But there never were very many of them, new research concludes.

In fact, new genetic evidence from the remains of six Neanderthals (Homo neanderthalensis) suggests the population hovered at an average of 1,500 females of reproductive age in Europe between 38,000 and 70,000 years ago, with the maximum estimate of 3,500 such female Neanderthals.

-- George Carlin
Digit

Post by Digit »

Somebody explain please why the genetic diversity of HSS should be the same in HSN.

Roy.
First people deny a thing, then they belittle it, then they say it was known all along! Von Humboldt
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

So Erectus spreads around the world....turns into Heidelbergensis who turns into Neanderthal who is then overwhelmed by HSS. What a neat little story.

All these neat little designations of different "species" could just as easily be what passes today as "racial differences."

Is it some inconceivable that a small group of Erectus became isolated in Eastern/Northern Europe and developed differing characteristics based on constant in-breeding?

-- George Carlin
Digit

Post by Digit »

Depends on whether your Club membership is upto date or not Min.
According to posts I've read modern HSS is evolving ever faster, which to me means evolution was slower in the past, so once again they are comparing chalk with cheese.

Roy.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

I'm not convinced that we're evolving at all, Dig.

-- George Carlin
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

This is a good read.
Towards the end they address the complexity of the problem.
The Stone Age whodunit is far from solved. But researchers are converging on one conclusion: regardless of whether climate or competition with moderns, or some combination thereof, was the prime mover in the decline of the Neandertals, the precise factors governing the extinction of individual populations of these archaic hominids almost certainly varied from group to group. Some may have perished from disease, others from inbreeding. “Each valley may tell its own story,” Finlayson remarks.

More than one cause? How very enlightened of them.

:wink:

-- George Carlin
Cognito

Post by Cognito »

More than one cause? How very enlightened of them.
Nice article. Since Hn and Hss co-existed for about 15,000 years per the article it is really a safe assumption that there was more than one cause. Regardless of that silly comment, the author was thoughtful in most areas.
Natural selection favors the paranoid
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Since Hn and Hss co-existed for about 15,000 years

Does sort of let the air out of the bag for "instant aggression" between the two.

-- George Carlin
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

More of the same....

What they need is to find an HE dna specimen so we can figure out if we'll all descended from them.

http://www.physorg.com/news172567188.html
Which genes make us uniquely human? Scientists are looking at DNA in old bones to find out. The focus now is not so much on our own species, Homo sapiens. Instead, scientists are probing DNA in well-preserved pieces of bone from our closest extinct relative, the Neanderthal.

-- George Carlin
Rokcet Scientist

Post by Rokcet Scientist »

If there were only 10,000 HN individuals alive simultaneously, spread out over southern and middle Europe and the middle east, i.o.w. extemely thinly, I'm guessing they, as a species, disappeared very fast. 'Diluted' beyond recognition (as HN) by the far greater HSS numbers, possibly killed by contagious (HSS) disease(s) they had no immunity against, and killed outright in (racial) battle.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

If they were even very different to begin with, R/S.

-- George Carlin