The First Boat People - Review

The science or study of primitive societies and the nature of man.

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Modest, too.

:D
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

My wife would disagree Min.

http://discovermagazine.com/2008/jun/20 ... ld-by-boat
By the 1980s, coastal archaeologists were beginning to mull over some remarkably early finds in Australia. A series of excavations by Jim Bowler, Alan Thorne, and others in the continental interior revealed that ancient humans had fished and collected freshwater mussels along the shores of the Willandra Lakes 50,000 years ago, possibly earlier. How on earth had humans managed to arrive down under so early? Even then Australia was an island continent, and some researchers reported that its indigenous inhabitants, the Aborigines, historically lacked oceangoing boats. It did not seem possible that their ancestors had arrived by watercraft.
An article on early seafaring, making the case for the use of boats 70,000ya. Many of us are convinced that boats were in use much earlier. Good 3 page article. 8)
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

They always do.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
spacecase0

Post by spacecase0 »

Beagle, thanks for the article.
Today these plains lie beneath almost 400 feet of water, out of reach of all but a handful of underwater archaeologists. “So this shines a spotlight on a huge area of ignorance: what people were doing when sea level was lower than at present,” says Geoff Bailey, a coastal archaeologist at the University of York in England. “And that is especially problematic, given that sea level was low for most of prehistory.”
is anyone else noticing that history seems to start around when sea level quit covering up the areas the people lived in at the end of the last ice age ?
is anyone seriously looking for the underwater villages of the past ? when I look for "underwater archeology", all I get are things on boats, can anyone tell me who the "handful of underwater archaeologists" are so that I can see what they have been finding ?
thank you~
Digit

Post by Digit »

Check out Doggerland Space.
kbs2244

Post by kbs2244 »

Big ships turn slow.
Little tugs help by pushing and pulling..
But there is still lot of inertia there.
spacecase0

Post by spacecase0 »

thank you Digit, that found what I was looking for, I am excited.

"Big ships turn slow."
I guess that am getting use to that.

"Little tugs help by pushing and pulling.. "
I will do my part, slowly and calmly.