Geneticists Shake UP the Mix Again

The science or study of primitive societies and the nature of man.

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

So I should think that there was definitely a flood.

Hancock attributes it to the meltdown of the ice age... of course that puts it around 11,000 BC or so.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Ishtar

Post by Ishtar »

Minimalist wrote:

Hancock attributes it to the meltdown of the ice age... of course that puts it around 11,000 BC or so.
About right for the genetics, then.
Digit

Post by Digit »

It's about right for everything Ish, including the erosion of the Sphinx, if you ignore the accepted version of our history of the period, and before anybody starts shouting at me I would point out that the accepted view only became such as it fitted what was believed to be accurate at that time. Time moves on but the Club remains.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

There's something in the Persian myths about the world getting suddenly colder. Sounds like a remarkable description of the Younger Dryas period when the world suddenly turned colder after a long period of glacial meltdown.

That brings us back to Firestone's asteroid/comet theory in NA again, though.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Ishtar

Post by Ishtar »

Minimalist wrote:There's something in the Persian myths about the world getting suddenly colder. Sounds like a remarkable description of the Younger Dryas period when the world suddenly turned colder after a long period of glacial meltdown.

That brings us back to Firestone's asteroid/comet theory in NA again, though.
Is this too simplistic?

High glacial meltwater everywhere, so people live in the mountains.

But then it gets colder as the flood waters recede - so people come down from the mountains.
Forum Monk

Post by Forum Monk »

Minimalist wrote:There's something in the Persian myths about the world getting suddenly colder.
Where? I would love to see this.

I do know that current theories and dating of the climatic disaster of the 3rd millenium roughly corresponds with the collapse of the Akkadian dynasty and subsequent invasion of the Gutium hordes from the north. This based on the widely accepted "low-chronology".
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

I read about it in FOTG, Monk. I'll thumb through it later and see if I can find a reference and a citation in the bibliography. Hancock is fairly good about that....marduk's opinion notwithstanding.

-- George Carlin
dannan14

Post by dannan14 »

Forum Monk wrote: No more wild a concept than we all descended from Noah and his sons. In fact, by some accounts Noah landed on the mountains of Manu and very many early traditions have the name Manu associated with their flood epics. Either a sign of cultural diffusion or perhaps tales of a real event.
i have an Indian friend whose family is Christian so his parents gave him a Hebrew name, Manoah. Is this just a coincidence or is it likely that his name is a mixture of Manu and Noah?
Forum Monk

Post by Forum Monk »

dannan14 wrote:i have an Indian friend whose family is Christian so his parents gave him a Hebrew name, Manoah. Is this just a coincidence or is it likely that his name is a mixture of Manu and Noah?
I dunno. What does he say?

I used to work with a guy named Daboy and people used to laugh behind his back and claimed he had a sister named Dagirl. Since he was about 6'-5 and weighed around 270 pounds no one dared ask if it was true.
dannan14

Post by dannan14 »

Hehe, maybe he would have thought it was funny?

Anyway, Manoah simply says it is a Hebrew name. He has talked briefly about the Vedas before, but i don't think he knows of any connection. Before i met him i had never heard the name before. Most people think they are misunderstanding his accent and try to call him Noah. Because of this alot of people call him Manny.
Cognito

Floods

Post by Cognito »

Yes ... actually, floods. The first whopper followed the LGM meltdown at about 14,400bc. The second was post Younger Dryas, 9600bc.
But I'm wondering if the American ones were carried there by the Mongolian types/ Siberians?
Yes, definitely. 8)
Natural selection favors the paranoid
Forum Monk

Post by Forum Monk »

The americans had their own doozy floods to deal with. Huge ones!

The laurentian ice dam flood about 13500 ybp, Lake Agassiz about 8000 ybp and the Missoula about 15000 ybp.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Forum Monk wrote:
Minimalist wrote:There's something in the Persian myths about the world getting suddenly colder.
Where? I would love to see this.

I do know that current theories and dating of the climatic disaster of the 3rd millenium roughly corresponds with the collapse of the Akkadian dynasty and subsequent invasion of the Gutium hordes from the north. This based on the widely accepted "low-chronology".

Irony of ironies, Monk. Recall a long time ago you posted a link to an online version of FOTG?

I found the section in the book and then found your old link which still works.

It's chapter #25. Scroll down a bit.

http://www.bibliotecapleyades.net/egipt ... Apocalypse
In those days Airyana Vaejo enjoyed a mild and productive climate with seven months of summer and five of winter. Rich in wildlife and in crops, its meadows flowing with streams, this garden of delights was converted into an uninhabitable wasteland of ten months’ winter and only two months summer as a result of the onslaught of Angra Mainyu, the Evil One:

The first of the good lands and countries which I, Ahura Mazda, created was the Airyana Vaejo ... Then Angra Mainyu, who is full of death, created an opposition to the same, a mighty serpent and snow. Ten months of winter are there now, two months of summer, and these are cold as to the water, cold as to the earth, cold as to the trees ... There all around falls deep snow; that is the direst of plagues ...’2

-- George Carlin
Forum Monk

Post by Forum Monk »

dannan14 wrote:Hehe, maybe he would have thought it was funny?

Anyway, Manoah simply says it is a Hebrew name. He has talked briefly about the Vedas before, but i don't think he knows of any connection. Before i met him i had never heard the name before. Most people think they are misunderstanding his accent and try to call him Noah. Because of this alot of people call him Manny.
I am not a linguist or expert on how languages evolve but many people have tried to link the names of kings and peoples to the Noachic tradition by playing word games with names. I have no idea how valid any of is, but names with variations of Noah, Noa, Noach, Nuk, or Cush, Cuch, Kush, Kish or Ham, Hem, Am, Em:
Take these roots and tack on innumerable prefixs and suffixes and voila - roll your own link to the flood tradition. But, having looked at some of them...the evidence seems compelling in some cases.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

On one of my other boards someone noted that:
Reminds me of the story about the Biblical archaeologist William F. Albright, who apparently identified Moses with Middlebury by the advanced scientific principle of removing the 'oses' and substituting the 'iddlebury'.
You just reminded me of it, FM.

:D

-- George Carlin