Ancient man knew the Golden Mean 400,000 years ago

The science or study of primitive societies and the nature of man.

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

Ishtar

Ancient man knew the Golden Mean 400,000 years ago

Post by Ishtar »

Hello!

Just dropping by with this one, as I thought it might be of interest to you good folk over here.

I'm in touch with the independent scholar, John Feliks, who has been researching early human cognition for the past 15 years. His first paper, The Graphics of Bilzingsleben, shows the advanced mathematical capabilities of Homo Erectus, Homo Ergaster, the Neanderthals and Homo Heidelbergensis. But it is being suppressed.

At the same time, his second paper, Phi in the Acheulian, which builds on the work of Bednarik (1995) and Mania and Mania (1988), to show the use of Phi in microliths and engravings 400,000 years ago, has been published. But because the first paper is being held back, which builds the case for the second, his Phi in the Acheulian seems to have come out of the blue, and thus not to make a sense to an academic community that hasn’t been mentally prepared for such paradigm-busting theories - such as our ancestors were not monosyllabic grunting apes.

I’m not saying that the academic establishment has done this deliberately. (Fingers crossed behind back!) But by publishing Part 2 first, it has certainly produced the effect of casting doubt on the credibility of this researcher, making his claims look far fetched when they’re not.... and this is an old trick of The Club's.

So I will be promoting John’s work on my forum, Ishtar's Gate and I hope that others do too.

Here are some extracts from his email to me:
Part of the reason I am disappointed in academia for suppressing the Part 1 paper is due to the very fact that it is the Part 1 paper.

Graphics [Part 1] is the paper that introduces all of the artifacts (and final proofs for straight edge theory and the earliest duplicated motif) and that clearly demonstrates the intelligence of early people. It is understandable by everyone.

By suppressing the Part 1 paper and publishing the Part 2 paper first, they caused the effect on readers as some kind of heavy math-type claims for Homo erectus coming out of nowhere, i.e., according to the reader in the standard paradigm that means Phi is leaping from "ape-people" to mathematicians. That was obviously never my plan.

Everyone knows Part 1 should be first. If the public were allowed to see the Part 1 paper first, like it was intended to be, they would not think it that far-fetched that early peoples could have an understanding of geometry.
I had asked him what he thought was the significance of our ancient ancestors using Phi in their tools and engravings. Because of my own viewpoints on this, I am always thinking in terms of sacred geometry, and looking for evidence of it, especially as we know that the use of Golden Mean in sacred sites goes right through from the Vedic fire altars and the Egyptian pyramids to the Greek temples and early Christian churches.

But John’s reply put the point of view that the use of Phi was actually more fundamental than that. It was about the way ancient man thought. In other words, his cognition was very different to our own in that the very building blocks of his thinking took a different shape, which he calls phi-based conceptual units.

If this is true, it means at one point we stopped thinking in phi-based conceptual units and started to think the way we do today.
I believe that a lot of what has to do with human awareness actually grew out of unconscious awareness of Phi. Another way to say it is that it grew in the medium of Phi (a pre-established natural medium). In the paper, I refer to Phi as one of the earliest cognitive archetypes. So I see it as one of the most natural ways to be and to think. For the sake of making it possible to access possible phi awareness in the archaeological record, I invented the idea of "phi-based conceptual units." That would mean a natural option to our standard modern science approach where measurements are often based only on equal-increments or a Cartesian grid, which is not the only scientific way to think.

I also relate phi to understanding analogy or how one thing can be related to another thing by way of its relationship to phi. Although many other ideas about early human thought are no doubt true, they usually don't offer a way to access them archaeologically so I can relate to your mentioning the importance of sacred geometry.

Again …. you know how the Acheulian is typically regarded as a static and unchanging and so, "unintelligent," culture by the standard paradigm? Well, I see it more as a culture that had an appreciation of subtlety. Another way I see the long period of subtlety relates to the old saying, "If it ain't broke don't fix it."

We seem to think that if people are intelligent then they will always keep changing and progressing toward more and more advanced technology. It is only our modern hyper style of change that makes conventional scientists want to see us as more advanced and these earlier people as inferior. So, I try to understand early people for who they were in their natural settings and try not to project onto them all our modern values.

I think that discovering a broader than expected use of phi in early times is something like discovering an early alphabet. You don't necessarily know what it means but you can tell for sure that something is there.
You can see more of John’s work on his site I also have his paper, Phi in the Acheulian, if anyone wants it emailed to them.

Best wishes,
Last edited by Ishtar on Sat Jun 20, 2009 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

I noted this quote on his page
“Absolutely outstanding and stunning. You have single-handedly demonstrated that the cognition and intellect of these hominins may have been of an order entirely unexpected by all of us... breathtaking... Yours is a landmark contribution, and I congratulate you most cordially and sincerely.”

- Robert Bednarik, session chair, Pleistocene Palaeoart of the World (emphasis added)
from Bednarik, who has made a solid case for HE building boats c. 800,000 years ago and crossing to Indonesia.

As I doubt that building any sort of boat could be accomplished without the ability to plan and execute such a project it would seem that these two would be natural allies.

I am also not in the least bit surprised that the Club is employing their ostrich response.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Digit

Post by Digit »

Rubbish Min! They'd got to be dumber than us 'cos their brains were smaller, or was that the critics? :roll:

Roy.
First people deny a thing, then they belittle it, then they say it was known all along! Von Humboldt
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

I'd like to see how long those critics would last in an environment full of saber-toothed cats.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Leona Conner

Post by Leona Conner »

Minimalist wrote:I'd like to see how long those critics would last in an environment full of saber-toothed cats.
My bet is on however long it takes the cat to leap six feet.
archaeo

Re: Ancient man knew the Golden Mean 400,000 years ago

Post by archaeo »

The number turns up naturally in geometry with pentagonal symmetry--diagonal : side. Also in regular icosahedrons.
Tiompan

Re: Ancient man knew the Golden Mean 400,000 years ago

Post by Tiompan »

Ishtar wrote:Hello!

Just dropping by with this one, as I thought it might be of interest to you good folk over here.

I'm in touch with the independent scholar, John Feliks, who has been researching early human cognition for the past 15 years. His first paper, The Graphics of Bilzingsleben, shows the advanced mathematical capabilities of Homo Erectus, Homo Ergaster, the Neanderthals and Homo Heidelbergensis. But it is being suppressed.

At the same time, his second paper, Phi in the Acheulian, which builds on the work of Bednarik (1995) and Mania and Mania (1988), to show the use of Phi in microliths and engravings 400,000 years ago, has been published. But because the first paper is being held back, which builds the case for the second, his Phi in the Acheulian seems to have come out of the blue, and thus not to make a sense to an academic community that hasn’t been mentally prepared for such paradigm-busting theories - such as our ancestors were not monosyllabic grunting apes.

I’m not saying that the academic establishment has done this deliberately. (Fingers crossed behind back!)
In a previous post I mentioned ignoring the actual measurements in the “Phi in the Acheulain “(Pita ) as the concept itself was sufficiently contentious .However one example was checked .With only limited drawings of the artefacts available i.e Maria & Maria (1988), Bedarnik (1997) , Steguweit (1999) and a jpeg on Wiki from Jose Manuel Benito it's best to rely on actual pics of the artefact as there are some discrepancies in the drawings mainly relating one of the lines (at the extreme left or right of the largest grouping depending on which way up the artefact is viewed .) being usually shown at a more oblique angle than is evident in the pic. We have to rely on measurements quoted from Maria & Maria . For artefact 2 from Bilzingsleben this is quoted as being 285 mm x 36 mm (p17 pita) . P 12 of “Musings on the Paleolithic fan motif “ gives measurements for the spacings between the engraved lines as being 60-20-40-40-60 mm ,the latter spacing is excluded from the resulting calculations despite the fact that ,(if the measurements are correct ) it has an self similar relationship with the other spacings but it would spoil the fan motif .( This similarity can also be found on the artefact from Oldisleben , possibly coincidental but nevertheless a clearer example of a possible 1:1 ratio than which is surely more likely than phi ) .The spacings do not have any phi relationship but when four diagonals are added to the lines , three “golden rectangles “ are said to be produced . We know the ratios of these rectangles from previous info i.e. 60:36 which equals 1.66666 and is not a golden triangle ,interestingly it is related to the fibonacci sequence being the same as the ratio 5:3 but it's not the “divine proportion “ So ultimately one line gets left out and four added to produce three non golden rectangles .
I don't understand the "paper being held up " if someone doesn't want to publish it then why no go elsewhere or as John has so kindly done previously ,put it on the web .
I also havn't seen any evidence for breach of copyright , any searches I have done have failed to come up with anyone using the material . Could you show where this has happened ?
George