Ancient flute....

The science or study of primitive societies and the nature of man.

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Ancient flute....

Post by Minimalist »

Notice the certainty that it was HSS in Germany 35,000 years ago....as opposed to HNS or, HNS trading with HSS?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090624/ap_ ... ic_flute_2

BERLIN – A bird-bone flute unearthed in a German cave was carved some 35,000 years ago and is the oldest handcrafted musical instrument yet discovered, archaeologists say, offering the latest evidence that early modern humans in Europe had established a complex and creative culture.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Rokcet Scientist

Re: Ancient flute....

Post by Rokcet Scientist »

By 35,000 years ago "early modern humans" were long gone already. But when? When did Ancient Homo Sapiens morph into Homo Sapiens Sapiens?
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

This portion of a flute was found in a cave in Slovenia. It is around 43,000 yrs. old. Since there is no context in which it could have been made by so-called "moderns". the Club states that it is not a flute at all. Experts from outside the field of archaeology maintain that it's a flute. It's a flute.

The oldest musical instrument was probably a drum, but we may never see any remains of that.
Sam Salmon

Post by Sam Salmon »

Beagle wrote:The oldest musical instrument was probably a drum, but we may never see any remains of that.
Not necessarily disagreeing but it depends how you define musical instrument-a stone gong is probably the oldest and I've read reports of some in (southern) Africa.
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

Makes sense to me Sam. I was thinking of modern instruments, but clapping stones would make a percussion sound.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

the Club states that it is not a flute at all.

Oh, let me guess. It's a "ritual" item?
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

:lol: Yeah, iirc the explanation was a real stretch.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Figures.

Maybe James Galway is a high priest?

-- George Carlin