Ancient Skeleton May Shed Light on Human Evolution

The science or study of primitive societies and the nature of man.

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Re: Ancient Skeleton May Shed Light on Human Evolution

Post by Minimalist »

Leona Conner wrote:Ya'll need to be here in this lovely city where the school board is about to be sued because of a single sentence in the biology book to be used by the senior high honors biology class. The sentence casually mentions something about biblical myths and a couple of parents are having a fit. The school board decided that the book is appropriate for such a class. Funny thing is the kids of the parents making the fuss aren't even honors students so will not be using the textbook. :roll:

Sounds like they need it more than anyone.

What's the basis of the suit?
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Leona Conner

Post by Leona Conner »

That the book is biased against Christianity. It has been interpeted differently by different people. Seems that Christianity is the only religion mentioned in the book and some felt that it should have included other religions that believe in the one Creator myth. It's only one sentence in the whole textbook, but wouldn't you know that a parent with a small mind had to find it and raise holy hell. Like I said, the school board decided that it was quite appropriate for an honors class. My granddaughter took honors biology last term and she said she withed that they had that book because the one they used was boring.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

That the book is biased against Christianity

I'd love to be on that jury!
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

http://johnhawks.net/weblog/fossils/sed ... -2010.html

A long blog by Hawks on A. Sediba. Seems like he might be willing to accept it's designation as Homo - with reservations.
Digit

Post by Digit »

I'd love to be on that jury!
Not likely! You're supposed to reach a verdict after listening to the evidence! :lol:

Roy.
First people deny a thing, then they belittle it, then they say it was known all along! Von Humboldt
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Takes all the fun out of it!

-- George Carlin