"Palaeo cave paintings are based on religious beliefs"

The science or study of primitive societies and the nature of man.

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

Ishtar

"Palaeo cave paintings are based on religious beliefs"

Post by Ishtar »

I'd have preferred it if they had said 'spiritual' or 'shamanic' rather than 'religious ~ as they are completely different kettles of fish ~ but anyway, at least it's a step forward from the belief that these paintings were to create "hunting magic", whatever that is, or just pretty pictures that Stone Age man drew just to pass the time ..incidentally, the two latter meanings reflecting the modern day preoccupations of filling our stomachs and labour-saving devices to create 'free time'.

This article makes the point that it was only when anthropologists saw how this kind of art was used and regarded in indigenous shamanic cultures that they began to see the French cave art in a different light.

The idea that palaeolithic art is based in religious beliefs isn't new. But for years, anthropologists, archaeologists and historians of art understood these artistic manifestations as purely aesthetic and decorative motives. Eduardo Palacio-Pérez, researcher at the University of Cantabria (UC), now reveals the origins of the theory.

"This theory is does not originate with the prehistorians, in other words, those who started to develop the idea that the art of primitive peoples was linked with beliefs of a symbolic-religious nature were the anthropologists," Eduardo Palacio-Pérez, author of the study and researcher at UC, said.

This idea appeared at the end of the 19th century and the beginning of the 20th century. Up until then, Palaeolithic art had been interpreted as a simple aesthetic and decorative expression.

"Initially scientists saw this art as the way that the people of the Palaeolithic spent their free time, sculpting figurines or decorating their tools," Palacio points out. His investigation, published in the last edition of Oxford Journal of Archaeology, reveals the reasons for the move from this recreational-decorative interpretation of Palaeolithic art to different one of a religious and symbolic nature.

The history of the discovery and study of this art is long and complex. Palaeolithic art is composed of so-called mobiliary art -pieces of stone, horn and bone sculpted or engraved- that are included within archaeological deposits. These discoveries, that spread through the scientific community from 1864, are dated to the same period as the rest of the archaeological material and there was "practically no doubt about their Palaeolithic origin."

"The problem came years later with the discovery of the paintings in the cave of Altamira (in 1879), published by Marcelino Sanz de Sautuola and spread by the Spanish geologist Vilanova and Piera at a scientific conference held in Lisbon in 1880. This art composed of paintings and engravings on the walls and the ceilings of the caves, was not included within the archaeological deposits and it was unknown if it was so old. The international scientific community ignored its Palaeolithic origin for 20 years," states the researcher.

Palacio explains how these studies went unnoticed: "They were heard, but little attention was paid to them because the format of the paintings was too spectacular and too "perfect" due to their naturalistic nature. It was understood that such complex art could not have been done by primitive man; something that did not occur with mobiliary art."

New times for western art

Between 1880 and 1900 the conception of art changed in western society. Anthropologists, archaeologists and historians of Art started to consider other possibilities. Artistic theory and practice that was being made in Europe changed with postimpressionism, the appearance of Art Nouveau or the generalisation of photography; in addition, with the mass arrival to museums of the metropolis of artistic pieces from non-Greco-Latin cultures and "primitive arts" of the colonies. "All this produced a transformation in the concept of art itself," pointed out the expert.

"At this time, the conception of the origins and the nature of art that the westerners and scientists had at the time was redefined. From then on Palaeolithic art was reinterpreted in a symbolic-religious key, at the time when the age of parietal art was accepted," concludes the researcher.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Re: "Palaeo cave paintings are based on religious beliefs"

Post by Minimalist »

I'd have preferred it if they had said 'spiritual' or 'shamanic' rather than 'religious ~ as they are completely different kettles of fish

Not to us unbelievers, Ish.

:wink:
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Ishtar

Post by Ishtar »

Well, my dear Min, to a determined atheist, nothing I say will make any difference.

But perhaps there are others reading this whose minds are more open, and so this is for them:

In a religion, you're asked to believe in a God that you will never get to meet. You are told that your religious leaders have a 'hotline' to this God and so they will tell you what he says and what he wants and you just have to obey. This is extremely disempowering of the individual.

In shamanism, you actually get to meet gods (otherwise known as spirits) yourself and so you have your own individual 'hotline' and don't need anyone else to tell you what the gods recommend. The religions don't like this, and it's why they stamped shamanism, which they called 'paganism', because it is extremely empowering of the indivdual.
Rokcet Scientist

Post by Rokcet Scientist »

Ishtar wrote:I'd have preferred it if they had said 'spiritual' or 'shamanic' rather than 'religious ~ as they are completely different kettles of fish ~ but anyway, at least it's a step forward from the belief that these paintings were to create "hunting magic"
"Magic" = ghostly = spiritual = shamanic = religious.

And vice versa.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

In shamanism, you actually get to meet gods

Every xtian I run in to tells me that they have jesus on speed dial, Ish.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Digit

Post by Digit »

That's handy Min, I still have to call the hard way! :lol:

Roy.
First people deny a thing, then they belittle it, then they say it was known all along! Von Humboldt
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

You gotta get with the program, Dig.

Put him on your Facebook page.

-- George Carlin
Digit

Post by Digit »

I haven't got a facebook page Min! God I'm behind the times aren't I?

Roy.
First people deny a thing, then they belittle it, then they say it was known all along! Von Humboldt
Rokcet Scientist

Ishtar wrote:In shamanism, you actually get to meet gods
In marketing you can have a meet and greet with your idols too... And if you're cute you'll get laid as a bonus. :lol:
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Digit wrote:I haven't got a facebook page Min! God I'm behind the times aren't I?

Roy.

Me, neither. Can't be bothered.

-- George Carlin
Rokcet Scientist

Minimalist wrote:
Digit wrote:I haven't got a facebook page Min! God I'm behind the times aren't I?

Roy.

Me, neither. Can't be bothered.
Nor have I. Exactly like I don't 'Twitter' or 'Ping': fads that'll blow over in 18 months time.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Mod Note:

Is anyone else, aside from Rokcet, having trouble accessing the board?

-- George Carlin
Digit

Post by Digit »

Not me Min.

Roy.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Maybe its that damned volcano?

-- George Carlin
wxsby

Post by wxsby »

Maybe its that damned volcano?
I'm having no trouble but... I don' know where I'ma gonna go when d' volcano blow...
Regards,

Barry

STOP PLATE TECTONICS!