Neandertal Lives !!

The science or study of primitive societies and the nature of man.

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

Digit

Re: Neandertal Lives !!

Post by Digit »

Haven't we all Beag. Quite why the Club was so resistant to MR as opposed to OOA I've never understood, the evidence has been plain enough for long enough.

Roy.
First people deny a thing, then they belittle it, then they say it was known all along! Von Humboldt
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

So if they interbred with HNS in the Levant why not with HE in Asia!

Celebration is over. Time to start pushing the frontier again, boys!
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Johnny

Post by Johnny »

In light of having just finished "The Invisible Sex" by Adovasio, Soffer and Page, I'm actually really curious about the consent question raised mostly in jest. Since it's not very likely that we'll suddenly discover a 40,000 year old copy of the neanderthal Kama Sutra, we'll likely never know for sure but I think we have to initially assume that interbreeding was both consensual and non-consensual...just like it was in early history and, sadly, today.

I've read that we're beginning to assemble data suggesting that neanderthals were more developed socially than was originally thought. Discoveries like the seashell necklaces found in Spain come to mind. Perhaps future finds and interpretations will refine our understanding of the breeding relationships that formed the genetic bridge between our species to the point that we can more accurately theorize on the true motivations for interbreeding.

The use of shells as jewelry hints at social stratification or at least a concept of individual status. One could jump from there to the idea that sapiens women were initially traded to established neanderthal groups as peace offerings. On the other side of the coin, maybe sapiens women were so enamored by the glamorous shells retrieved and worn by neanderthal men that they jumped the sapiens ship and walked off into the woods with their new clan not realizing that the renegade genes they carried would help seal the doom of neanderthal.
“Scar tissue is stronger than regular tissue. Realize the strength, move on.” - Henry Rollins
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

It's been obvious to a lot of people dig, but the other side is not taking this lying down. We'll hear from them soon.
So if they interbred with HNS in the Levant why not with HE in Asia!
Those sorts of questions are being asked by scientists and laymen alike. A lot more info will be coming out over the year, as more study is done. But 4% in some Eurasians is whopping. These genes were described by Paabo as being involved with things like skin, cognition, metabolism, and the skeleton. That is a lot!

And that's today, the original Cro Magnons may have had a greater proportion of HNS genes.
Digit

Post by Digit »

Several genes showed evidence of positive selection in humans as opposed to Neanderthals - including genes linked to schizophrenia, autism and Down syndrome. "This suggests that some of the genes that were positively selected may have had to do with cognitive development. ... It doesn't suggest that Neanderthals had no autism, or that they were more similar to people with autism," Pääbo said.
"This suggests that some of the genes that were positively selected may have had to do with cognitive development. ...

Do I read this as we may have gained our intellect from these matings?

Roy.
First people deny a thing, then they belittle it, then they say it was known all along! Von Humboldt
Rokcet Scientist

Post by Rokcet Scientist »

Minimalist wrote:So if they interbred with HNS in the Levant why not with HE in Asia!
They did of course! Their progeny is all around us! We are that progeny. In an endless variety. But more recognisable genetic subsets are also among us: the Aboriginals, the Papua, the Bushmen, the Ba'aka, etc. etc.
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

Digit - I really doubt it but no one knows right now. Unfortunately, there are some ugly discussions going on in some forums, which I don't frequent anyway.

But now:

http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/full/328/5979/710

Here is the study, being distributed everywhere I guess. It's a lot to chew on, and I may wait to see what people like Hawks have to say about it. It's been a long, fun, few days, and I'm tired. Have fun Neanderpeople (some of you anyway).
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Rokcet Scientist wrote:
Minimalist wrote:So if they interbred with HNS in the Levant why not with HE in Asia!
They did of course! Their progeny is all around us! We are that progeny. In an endless variety. But more recognisable genetic subsets are also among us: the Aboriginals, the Papua, the Bushmen, the Ba'aka, etc. etc.

Stating it and getting evidence of it are two different things, though.

And Johnny, HNS has undergone a bit of a cultural rehabilitation in recent years as science has moved away from the brutish caveman model.

Still....guys are going to be guys!
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Rokcet Scientist

Minimalist wrote:
Rokcet Scientist wrote:
Stating it and getting evidence of it are two different things, though.
Probably. But I don't see any more need to get it. The fact that HN hybridized with HSS is enough evidence for me. No reason HE/HSS romance would have been any different. Or HE/HN for that matter.

I'd like to get on, and concentrate on the implications.
Digit

Post by Digit »

One of the implications, for me, is the point that I have made in the past, hybrid vigour!

Roy.
Rokcet Scientist

Digit wrote:One of the implications, for me, is the point that I have made in the past, hybrid vigour.
Looks like I missed that. Could you expand a little?
Digit

Post by Digit »

You'd need to go back to when I joined here to follow that debate RS, but basically there is the idea that a 'good' crossing produces off spring that is 'better' than either of its parents.
That is why I questioned as to whether the earlier post suggested that our intelligence came from HSN.
Min and I joked about the idea at the time that we could see HSN moving up from a shambling cave man to being the one with the brains.

Roy.
Rokcet Scientist

Digit wrote:You'd need to go back to when I joined here to follow that debate RS,
I was around then.
but basically there is the idea that a 'good' crossing produces off spring that is 'better' than either of its parents.
Just as 'bad' crossings produce offspring that is 'worse' than its parents. And so will perish (survival of the fittest, after all).
That's just evolution for you.
And imo there were many, many more non-starter evolutionary changes than there were successful ones. Extinction is the rule, evolutionary survival is the exception.
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/ ... ought.html

This is a decent article but when one gets to the paragraph that states Neanderthals had no shelter, anyone in this forum should know that is just Ignorant CRAP.

We now know that there was not just ONE Neanderthal. Some in central Europe ate just meat during huge ice ages, and most in the Doggerlands were fish eaters. The story keeps developing.