Seafood Combo - HE Style

The science or study of primitive societies and the nature of man.

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Seafood Combo - HE Style

Post by Minimalist »

http://www.sciencealert.com.au/news/20100206-21022.html
Almost two million years ago, early humans began eating food such as crocodiles, turtles and fish – a diet that could have played an important role in the evolution of human brains and our footsteps out of Africa, according to new research.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
kbs2244

Re: Seafood Combo - HE Style

Post by kbs2244 »

“This find is important because fish in particular has been associated with brain development and it is after this period that we see smaller-brained hominin species evolving into larger-brained Homo species- Homo erectus - the first hominin to leave Africa,” says Dr Herries, of the School of Medical Sciences.

Haven't we decided that brain size has nothing to do with intelligence?
dannan14

Post by dannan14 »

The medical profession seem to be the ones lagging on that point.
E.P. Grondine

Post by E.P. Grondine »

Turtles must have been eaten quite early.

Fish would be stranded in drying ponds, frequented by elephants during the dry seasons.

As crocodiles would hunt homonids, they must have been a nuisance - hard to say when homonids developed enough technology to take care of them, but then they would have gone on the menu as well.
Johnny

Post by Johnny »

kbs2244 wrote: Haven't we decided that brain size has nothing to do with intelligence?
Yep. Though there is a correlation between brain to body size ratio and intelligence, the bigger factor is the packaged density of neurons and their connecting synapses.
“Scar tissue is stronger than regular tissue. Realize the strength, move on.” - Henry Rollins
Digit

Post by Digit »

Yep. Though there is a correlation between brain to body size ratio and intelligence,
No there isn't John, if there were the House Mouse would be smarter than us! :lol:
I'll stick my neck out and say I bet it's down to connections, to me it's the great mystery. Why does the Blue Whale need such an enormouse brain?

Roy.
First people deny a thing, then they belittle it, then they say it was known all along! Von Humboldt
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Why does the Blue Whale need such an enormouse brain?
They do crossword puzzles in their spare time.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Digit

Post by Digit »

No doubt they have a whale of a time Min!

Roy.
First people deny a thing, then they belittle it, then they say it was known all along! Von Humboldt
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Yes...it is also rumored that they greatly enjoy bad puns.

-- George Carlin
Digit

Post by Digit »

Touche!

Roy.
kbs2244

Post by kbs2244 »

“if there were the House Mouse would be smarter than us! “

Isn’t that the premise behind “Hitchhikers Guide to Galaxy?”
dannan14

Post by dannan14 »

Not really. While the mice were, in fact, the smartest creatures on the planet, they were merely three dimensional projections of higher dimensional beings.