Fish Story

The science or study of primitive societies and the nature of man.

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Re: Fish Story

Post by Minimalist »

Makes perfect sense to me.

It simply dismisses the idea of early humans as one step above "ape men" who go from tree to tree looking for something to munch on or at the very least pushes that vision way back into our evolutionary past.

The ability to formulate and execute a plan - ANY plan - is indicative of rationality.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
kbs2244

Post by kbs2244 »

"Parrotfish and unicorn were probably caught on baited hooks ... but tuna are deepwater, fast-moving fish. Tuna and trevallies were probably caught by lure fishing," O'Connor said.

The last paragraph of the story.
Digit

Post by Digit »

I pointed that out earlier kb, that may conjure up images of a felt hat full of fishing flies etc but in reality that term covers a mulitude of sins.
probably caught by lure fishing
Probably, ie, no evidence in support, simply stating a lure does not explain how the fish was actually retained. For example, fishing with a torch over the side of a boat then harpooning it would fulfill that statement to a 'T'.
As would trolling with a live bait followed by harpooning.
Frankly I wish these people would stop making such useless comments.

Roy.
First people deny a thing, then they belittle it, then they say it was known all along! Von Humboldt
kbs2244

Post by kbs2244 »

"Frankly I wish these people would stop making such useless comments."

Hey, come on now.

We all know the need for headlines to feed funding.

And what would people like us do without the stories to argue about?

My rotator cuff won’t let me play shuffle board.
Digit

Post by Digit »

True! :lol:

Roy.
First people deny a thing, then they belittle it, then they say it was known all along! Von Humboldt