I wish they'd elucidate...

The science or study of primitive societies and the nature of man.

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

circumspice

I wish they'd elucidate...

Post by circumspice »

Interesting article, but far too brief & not very detailed. They tantalized with a teaser about the male subject's mtDNA... Hey Min... maybe you or Michelle can find more?

https://www-m.cnn.com/2019/06/26/world/ ... frame.html
"Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test." ~ Robert G. Ingersoll

"Damn with faint praise, assent with civil leer, and, without sneering, teach the rest to sneer." ~ Alexander Pope
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Re: I wish they'd elucidate...

Post by Minimalist »

The link in the story brings this:

https://advances.sciencemag.org/content/5/6/eaaw5873

but it is very technical. It would be nice if someone could translate it for us laymen.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
circumspice

Post by circumspice »

UGH! I girded my loins & gritted my teeth, then read the entire paper... Some of it actually made sense to me... The rest was totally over my head. I may have understood roughly about 25%, the rest had little to no meaning for me. Thanks for the link Min.
"Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test." ~ Robert G. Ingersoll

"Damn with faint praise, assent with civil leer, and, without sneering, teach the rest to sneer." ~ Alexander Pope
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

In my dog rescue work I frequently find myself reading scholarly papers from veterinary colleges trying to find out exactly what conditions the dogs have. Anything with a .com site is probably trying to sell something so I stick to .edu sites. Then I sit there with an open Google window and copy and paste any words which go over my head.

It helps.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
circumspice

Post by circumspice »

I'd ask my geneticist son to translate this paper into understandable terms for me... however he'd more than likely tell me that I wouldn't understand it anyway... *rolls eyes* :roll: (I would understand it but he doesn't want to make the effort to couch it in understandable language... Scientists just love their exclusive, members only jargon...)

MichelleH
Site Admin

Post by MichelleH »

We've Got Fossils - We win ~ Lewis Black

Red meat, cheese, tobacco, and liquor...it works for me ~ Anthony Bourdain

Atheism is a non-prophet organization.
circumspice

Post by circumspice »

Thanks Michelle!