Java Man not so old after all

The science or study of primitive societies and the nature of man.

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Java Man not so old after all

Post by Minimalist »

https://cosmosmagazine.com/palaeontolog ... -after-all
The oldest human remains in Southeast Asia aren’t as old as we thought they were.

An Indonesian-Japanese team of scientists has overturned a decades-old estimate of Homo erectus remains from Central Java in Indonesia, shaving off several hundred thousand years from the age of the globe-trotting hominin, the first to disperse out of Africa.

The new estimate, published in the journal Science, puts Homo erectus at the fossil-rich Sangiran dome by around 1.3 million years ago, and certainly no earlier than 1.5 million years ago
I still think the key to understanding human evolution is Homo Erectus.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
circumspice

Re: Java Man not so old after all

Post by circumspice »

I agree min. HE is possibly the unidentified hominid whose DNA has been found alongside the Neanderthal & Denisovan DNA in the modern human genome. Until geneticists can get their hands on some HE fossils that have recoverable DNA, we won't know for certain. What we do know is that HE was an intrepid explorer who blazed the trail throughout the world for the rest of humankind.
"Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test." ~ Robert G. Ingersoll

"Damn with faint praise, assent with civil leer, and, without sneering, teach the rest to sneer." ~ Alexander Pope
Cognito

Post by Cognito »

I agree min. HE is possibly the unidentified hominid whose DNA has been found alongside the Neanderthal & Denisovan DNA in the modern human genome.
In an email correspondence with M. Wolpoff of the Univ. of Michigan a few years back he made the same comment as you did and referred to the anomalies as traces of "Asian Erectus". Makes perfect sense.
Natural selection favors the paranoid
circumspice

Post by circumspice »

I've always jokingly referred to Milford Walpoff as a throwback to an earlier breed of hominin... I think it was the heavy brow ridges... Put him in animal hide clothing & you could place him in a Neanderthal diorama in any museum... The man both irritates & fascinates. However, that doesn't detract from his intelligence, which I fully acknowledge.
"Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test." ~ Robert G. Ingersoll

"Damn with faint praise, assent with civil leer, and, without sneering, teach the rest to sneer." ~ Alexander Pope