Dating of ancient books and scripture.

The study of religious or heroic legends and tales. One constant rule of mythology is that whatever happens amongst the gods or other mythical beings was in one sense or another a reflection of events on earth. Recorded myths and legends, perhaps preserved in literature or folklore, have an immediate interest to archaeology in trying to unravel the nature and meaning of ancient events and traditions.

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

The "maximalists" do not think it is sleeping, my friend!

:D
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
seeker

Post by seeker »

Minimalist wrote:The "maximalists" do not think it is sleeping, my friend!

:D
It's a funny paradigm shift though, maximalists have become the lunatic fringe in the discussion while minimalists have become more of the mainstream
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

I'm leaning more and more that way myself... with a few caveats like utilizing pre-existing folklore and writing ole Yahweh into it.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
seeker

Post by seeker »

Minimalist wrote:I'm leaning more and more that way myself... with a few caveats like utilizing pre-existing folklore and writing ole Yahweh into it.
There is certainly wiggle room for that sort of argument. Personally I think the majority of people in the region after the Persians took over were from other regions. The Post Babylonian population of Judah was probably a couple of thousand while Persian Judah had something closer to 50,000 people living in it which strongly suggests that there were a lot of people new to the area in Judah. They could have pushed almost any story as historical and, over time, with total control over all writing, made it the only history people knew.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Seeker is actually more of a "minimalist" than I am, guys.

-- George Carlin
rich

Post by rich »

Think this would be a fitting icon???

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt ... image&cd=1
i'm not lookin' for who or what made the earth - just who got me dizzy by makin it spin
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

The url is a bit long.

-- George Carlin
rich

Post by rich »

was the first thing I found on a search - :D
i'm not lookin' for who or what made the earth - just who got me dizzy by makin it spin
rich

Post by rich »

its's on somebodies myspace page - but it just seemed to fit you're attitude at times :D :D :D
rich

Post by rich »

Here's the same thing but just the image:

http://homepage.hispeed.ch/mosteve/Bild ... %20(2).jpg
War Arrow

Post by War Arrow »

Minimalist wrote:Seeker is actually more of a "minimalist" than I am, guys.
Pardon my idiocy but I always thought you'd chosen your username because... dunno... maybe you don't like having too much furniture or something... Now I suspect I may have been mistaken. So in one sentence, what is this "minimalist-maximalist" debate of which ye doth speaketh?

(and if this question is equivalent to 'Stonehenge? What's that?' I offer no apology - never claimed to be that broad in my areas of study!)
Ishtar

Post by Ishtar »

He says he only chose the name Min to annoy, Arch, WA - like I chose mine solely to annoy Marduk.

:lol:
Forum Monk

Post by Forum Monk »

War Arrow wrote:So in one sentence, what is this "minimalist-maximalist" debate of which ye doth speaketh?
In one sentence, maximalists believe the bible contains historical truth and relevence while minimalists believe it's history is a collection of myths and fictions (possibly loosely based on real locations, events, or people) as it really an attempt for the compilers to gain an identity.
seeker

Post by seeker »

FM is pretty much right. Maximalists tend to take the bible literally as a historical record. The turning point in the debate is the archaeological record which pretty consistently points to a lower chronology and contradicts a good deal of the biblical record. People in the Maximalist camp like William Dever began to find that they simply couldn't support the Exodus, Conquest etc based on the evidence.

Minimalism takes the view that the bible is a series of stories composed in the post Persian period for political reasons. Scholars like Davies and Thompson point out that rather than a history the bible should be looked at as a propaganda tool used to gain support for various factions. In this view you end up with a clear division of stories that reflect a Persian perspective and a Hasmonean perspective (I'm simplifying and ignoring some of the internal factionalism that occurred).

That's as close to one sentance as I can explain it in.
seeker

Post by seeker »

rich wrote:Think this would be a fitting icon???
I wasn't as crazy about the Mini Me picture as I was about the animated gif in the posters sig line. 8)