Upanishads Precursors of Indian Religion

The study of religious or heroic legends and tales. One constant rule of mythology is that whatever happens amongst the gods or other mythical beings was in one sense or another a reflection of events on earth. Recorded myths and legends, perhaps preserved in literature or folklore, have an immediate interest to archaeology in trying to unravel the nature and meaning of ancient events and traditions.

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Upanishads Precursors of Indian Religion

Post by Minimalist »

http://www.hinduonnet.com/fline/stories ... 806500.htm
In the 8th or the 9th century B.C., the Upanishads were composed out of the philosophic traditions that came from the earliest times of Indic civilisation. The thoughts contained in the Upanishads went on to form the basis of all major faiths in the subcontinent, in times to come.

This is a philosophy that sees a great oneness in all of creation. It is the same that is in each of us, in plants and trees, in animals, even in inanimate objects. All that there is, is perceived to be a part of the One. “Samsara”, the world of separated beings and objects around us, is believed to be an illusion we see owing to the limitations of our senses and sensibilities. (Four or five centuries later, the Greek philosopher Plato voiced similar thoughts about the illusory nature of what we perceive through our senses.)
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Ishtar

Post by Ishtar »

Min

I'm interested to see that you've posted this feature but I'm wondering that the new angle is? Am I missing something ... or is it just something that you're generally interested in and want to discuss?

By the way, they're younger than the Vedas, so strictly speaking, they're not the precursor to the Indian religion.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

No, it was in the news section and I suspected that you might find it interesting.

As you know, I don't care much for religion of any sort, except in its political applications.

Just doing my job as moderator.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Ishtar

Post by Ishtar »

Minimalist wrote:No, it was in the news section and I suspected that you might find it interesting.

As you know, I don't care much for religion of any sort, except in its political applications.

Just doing my job as moderator.
Well .. as my old editor used to say: "If it ain't new, it's not news!".

But thank you for doing your job as a moderator! :lol:
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

So, since there is nothing new under the sun that means that your editor put out a blank page?

-- George Carlin
Ishtar

Post by Ishtar »

Minimalist wrote:So, since there is nothing new under the sun that means that your editor put out a blank page?
That's not true. New things happen every day, and then they put them in the paper. :D

Like the Olympics, which our papers are full of at the moment, sadly. :cry:
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

They made it difficult to avoid the Olympics but I managed for the most part.

-- George Carlin
Cognito

Katha Upanishad

Post by Cognito »

Living in the abyss of ignorance
yet wise in their own conceit,
deluded fools go round and round,
the blind led by the blind.

Katha Upanishad

Somewhat reminds me of an AIG sales convention. I wonder if they had something similar in 1st millenium BC India? :?
Natural selection favors the paranoid