Another present, Ish

The study of religious or heroic legends and tales. One constant rule of mythology is that whatever happens amongst the gods or other mythical beings was in one sense or another a reflection of events on earth. Recorded myths and legends, perhaps preserved in literature or folklore, have an immediate interest to archaeology in trying to unravel the nature and meaning of ancient events and traditions.

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Another present, Ish

Post by Minimalist »

This time, the Mandaean Gnostic Texts

http://www.egnu.org/~mandaean/
hese texts were hand scanned a few years ago after I noticed a lack in the availability of Mandaean texts, both in the original Mandaic and in translation online and in print. These come from the editions made by Lady Drower in the early 20th century and still represent the most comprehensive editions of the texts. I hope these texts provide both scholars, those interested in Gnosticism, and the Mandaean community online access to the texts of an extraordinary people and their thought-provoking religion. I also wish to send my regards to the Mandaean communities in Iraq and Iran with the hopes that the strife afflicting the area will not cause much duress to their way of life.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Ishtar

Post by Ishtar »

Thank you, Min.

It's a pity we don't have a research/library section, because this is the sort of thing that would fit in well there. :)
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

That's why I pick up these links when I stumble across them, as happened in this case.

Someday it would be good to figure out a way to make up a reference section.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Ishtar

Post by Ishtar »

I'll keep this one for now in my burgeoning library, and then we can transfer it across if ever we do decide to have a library.

But maybe this is a good time to mention www.sacred-texts.com - they have an extraordinary amount of easily searchable material on there:

http://www.sacred-texts.com/
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

I've started keeping track of these in my thread in the Tips forum.

I'll add this one on to the others.

-- George Carlin
Ishtar

Post by Ishtar »

Min, this is really really interesting ... well, to me, anyway.

One of the texts are on the secret wisdom teaching section of the Mandeans, and they are known as the Nazorenes - presumably the same Nazorenes that Jesus and Paul were known as? Anyway, I thought I'd just post the first few pages here, to give a flavour - apparently their Mandean priest owners were quite annoyed that these texts were going to get out.

So here we go again - Pandora's Box! - but required reading for anyone who would like to know more about these what these secret teachings contained:

To read more, here's the link:

http://www.egnu.org/~mandaean/The_Secre ... Drower.pdf