"Evolution"

The study of religious or heroic legends and tales. One constant rule of mythology is that whatever happens amongst the gods or other mythical beings was in one sense or another a reflection of events on earth. Recorded myths and legends, perhaps preserved in literature or folklore, have an immediate interest to archaeology in trying to unravel the nature and meaning of ancient events and traditions.

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

uniface

"Evolution"

Post by uniface »

Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Re: "Evolution"

Post by Minimalist »

They call them "creatards" for a reason.

But let me ask you one thing. If the theory of evolution were discredited do you think that means that your silly bible is true by default?
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
uniface

Post by uniface »

Intelligent Design/Creation looks a lot more reasonable supposition. Whatever that involves.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Well it involves a magical creator or intelligent designer and if you think that is "more reasonable" it tells me all I need to know about your reasoning capabilities.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
uniface

Post by uniface »

Idries Shah once wrote, tongue in cheek, that he had asked an ant what God was. The ant replied, "Every ant has a stinger. But God . . . has TWO !"

When people do this, usually, others laugh at it and call it "anthropomorphism" -- imagining that non-human affairs must run along human lines.

Yet when they turn around and do the same thing with arguments like this one, nobody laughs. Maybe they don't recognise that any designer capable of such designs must necessarily far transcend the ability of humans to imagine him ?

The ironic comedy it entails, IMO, is the supposition that human imagination occupies the place of God, at the top of the top of everything.

First they claim there isn't a God, then they turn around and, in effect, claim that are God.

:lol:
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

"God" is your fictional character. You can give him any properties you like. "Faster than a speeding bullet" ... "more powerful than a locomotive" if you like.

It doesn't make it real.

Your beliefs are worthless. Let's see some evidence.

-- George Carlin
uniface

Post by uniface »

What I think's needed here is a perspective point with no Lie Room in it, Min.
You can be opposed to people having guns. That's your right.
And you can not believe in God. That's your right too.
But when someone's trying to break into your house,
the first thing you're going to do is call somebody with a gun
and the second thing you're going to do is
pray he gets there in time.
Circumstances alter cases :lol:
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

If 'god' tries to break into my house I'll shoot at him.

-- George Carlin
dannan14

Post by dannan14 »

uniface wrote:What I think's needed here is a perspective point with no Lie Room in it, Min.
You can be opposed to people having guns. That's your right.
And you can not believe in God. That's your right too.
But when someone's trying to break into your house,
the first thing you're going to do is call somebody with a gun
and the second thing you're going to do is
pray he gets there in time.
Circumstances alter cases :lol:
Why? What possible good would it do in that situation to pray? That sounds an awful lot like panic to me.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Yes, indeed.

Time wasted praying might be better spent going out the back door.

-- George Carlin
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Perhaps, just a touch.

But then....

http://www.relativelyinteresting.com/wp ... t-meme.jpg

"god" never seems to handle the tough stuff.

-- George Carlin
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

It's even worse to argue with a believer.

-- George Carlin
uniface

Post by uniface »

Uh, guys . . . you are aware that your attitude is . . . a little dated. Right ? :mrgreen:

uniface

Post by uniface »

Reduce screen size to get it all in view.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Yeah...but of course yours isn't.

-- George Carlin