How the First Ruler of Egypt Became God of the Underworld?

The study of religious or heroic legends and tales. One constant rule of mythology is that whatever happens amongst the gods or other mythical beings was in one sense or another a reflection of events on earth. Recorded myths and legends, perhaps preserved in literature or folklore, have an immediate interest to archaeology in trying to unravel the nature and meaning of ancient events and traditions.

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

Josip199

How the First Ruler of Egypt Became God of the Underworld?

Post by Josip199 »

Here I found "The Story of Osiris" - https://www.ancient-origins.net/human-o ... rld-008953

Osiris was one of the most prominent gods in the ancient Egyptian pantheon. This prominent deity was a member of the Ennead (known also as the Great Ennead and the Ennead of Heliopolis), a group of nine Egyptian deities worshipped primarily in Heliopolis, but whose influence spread to the rest of Egypt as well. Osiris is best known for being the god of the Underworld, a role that enabled him to judge the dead. His dominion over the dead can be seen in the fact that this god is often depicted as a mummified figure. Other features of Osiris’ iconography point towards the different attributes of this ancient god.
A Son of Gods
The word Osiris is derived from the ancient Egyptian word ‘Wsir’, which may be translated to mean ‘powerful’ or ‘mighty’. According to the Heliopolis creation myth, Atum was the first god to have existed as a result of self-creation. The god then proceeded to create the god Shu and the goddess Tefnut. The union of these two deities resulted in the birth of Geb and Nut. Finally, the offspring of Geb and Nut were Osiris, Set, Isis and Nephthys.
circumspice

Re: How the First Ruler of Egypt Became God of the Underworl

Post by circumspice »

@Josip199: I'm absolutely positive that this is something that you don't want to be told... But I'll tell you anyway...

The website Ancient Origins is a crackpot website. They are a prominent member of the alt archaeology crowd. They are not credible in any way. They will fill your head with nonsense & bullshit.

Why do I tell you this? I tell you this because you quote them & post their links quite frequently. It seems that they are your 'go to' website.

You need to learn to discern the difference between a tinfoil hat crackpot website & a genuine archaeology website. I actually don't hold out any hope that you can 'learn to discern'... I believe it is already too late for you & I believe I can see the glint of a tinfoil hat on your head...
"Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test." ~ Robert G. Ingersoll

"Damn with faint praise, assent with civil leer, and, without sneering, teach the rest to sneer." ~ Alexander Pope
SheriGoddart75

Re: How the First Ruler of Egypt Became God of the Underworld?

Post by SheriGoddart75 »

According to the Heliopolis creation myth, Atum (the First Ruler of Egypt) was the first god to have existed as a result of self-creation. The god then proceeded to create the god Shu and the goddess Tefnut.