Of super-volcanoes and mag-stripes and things.

All points south!

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

kbs2244

Of super-volcanoes and mag-stripes and things.

Post by kbs2244 »

We don’t really have a geology type thread, so I will put this here since it occurred off Japan.

http://www.iodp.tamu.edu/scienceops/exp ... _rise.html

As a OBTW,

Check the depths they are drilling at.
As a reference, the much ballyhooed BP/Gulf of Mexico drill site was at apx 5000 feet.
Johnny

Re: Of super-volcanoes and mag-stripes and things.

Post by Johnny »

11,500' is close to the max depth for a modern drillship. I'm not sure they could operate and produce from that depth safely but they can certainly do some good science.

We *do* need a geology thread! Geo-Archaeology anyone?
“Scar tissue is stronger than regular tissue. Realize the strength, move on.” - Henry Rollins
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Feel free to start one.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Tiompan

Post by Tiompan »

Johnny wrote:11,500' is close to the max depth for a modern drillship. I'm not sure they could operate and produce from that depth safely but they can certainly do some good science.

We *do* need a geology thread! Geo-Archaeology anyone?
In the old world at least it's apparent that the geology of the engraved rocks was very important . Engravings incorporate cracks and fissures into the design and often there are naturl marks that resemble cup marks . This can give an impression that the engravers may have considered the the natural markings earlier engravings .
There is also the obviously intentional choice of different qualities and colours of rocks in monuments and the deposition of quartz .
Some reasoning and experiencing the effects of volcanoes may have helped but surely only a very basic understanding if anything would have been the norm in prehistory .
George