Hello from a new member

Tell us what you think about your visit to our site!

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

jw1815

Hello from a new member

Post by jw1815 »

I’ve just joined Archeologica and decided that I should pop in here to say hello before plunging into discussions.

I’ve been lurking for a couple months, reading up on my two favorite topics in anth/arch - the origins of people in the Americas and the question of what happened to Neanderthals. I’ve been enjoying the forum discussion comments as well as the news update page.

My educational background is liberal arts and language, but I considered a cultural anthropology major for a while so I took anthropology, geology, and biology courses with that in mind. They at least gave me a conceptual framework for following developments over the years since then.

Back in the mid 90’s, I spent a week’s vacation as a volunteer on a dig in northwestern PA. The site was a field experience for students of the Mercyhurst Archeological Institute, whose director is James Adovagio, excavator of Meadowcroft. The dig supervisor was one of his staff assistants. It was their first week, when students were setting up camp, so I didn’t get to see or participate in much actual fieldwork. I saw Adovagio briefly when he dropped by the site to make sure things were underway ok, but didn’t actually meet him. But, I did get to speak with some students, other volunteers (some of whom had been at Cahokia), and some staff assistants later, during a visit to Mercyhurst.

I’ve noticed the references to Clovis First adherents as “the club.” In a History Channel interview, Adovagio once called them the “Clovis Mafia.” I’m interested to see what he turns up now in Florida.
MichelleH
Site Admin

Re: Hello from a new member

Post by MichelleH »

Welcome JW and jump right in!
We've Got Fossils - We win ~ Lewis Black

Red meat, cheese, tobacco, and liquor...it works for me ~ Anthony Bourdain

Atheism is a non-prophet organization.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

In a History Channel interview, Adovagio once called them the “Clovis Mafia.”

I'm Italian by heritage....as is Adovasio!....so he should know better than to use the word "mafia".

They don't like that.

Anyway, welcome aboard.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
jw1815

Post by jw1815 »

I'm Italian by heritage....as is Adovasio!....so he should know better than to use the word "mafia".

They don't like that.

Oh-oh. My first post and I've got off on the wrong footing.

I know many people of Italian heritage, including several relatives. Some joke about the word; some don't. Seems to me that a lot depends on context, doesn't it? I don't think that Adovasio was using it as a slur on people's heritage. He certainly wasn't saying or implying that the word, or the image that it conjures up for most people, is one that applies to all people of Italian heritage.

I have German heritage. I've heard the word Nazi used in several contexts but I don't take it as a personal slur unless it's directed at me in that way. And occasionally it has been, because my grandparents were immigrants. Never mind that they came to the US as young children and were American citizens before the first World War, let alone the second.

But, your point is well taken. I carelessly used a quote containing a word that is offensive to some people. I had no intentions of offending anyone, least of all you, minimalist, since it's some of your posts that interested me enough to come out of lurking and join up.

Oops, I see that I also misspelled Adovasio's name in my first post. Not a good first showing.
Last edited by jw1815 on Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MichelleH
Site Admin

Post by MichelleH »

JW,

Min is not offended, he is just cranky. :lol:

Again, welcome to our little community!
We've Got Fossils - We win ~ Lewis Black

Red meat, cheese, tobacco, and liquor...it works for me ~ Anthony Bourdain

Atheism is a non-prophet organization.
jw1815

Post by jw1815 »

Min is not offended, he is just cranky.]
Oh, well, in that case........What more can I say?

Nevertheless, it's probably a good thing that I didn't mention the lettering on the T-shirt Adovasio was wearing when I saw him.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Oh hell...I never get offended.

I'm far too much of a prick for that.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
dannan14

Post by dannan14 »

jw1815 wrote:
Nevertheless, it's probably a good thing that I didn't mention the lettering on the T-shirt Adovasio was wearing when I saw him.
Well, now you have to mention it.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Probably....

Not a good first showing.

Actually, better than most!

:lol:

-- George Carlin
Sam Salmon

Post by Sam Salmon »

Welcome to The Machine!
jw1815

Post by jw1815 »

Oh hell...I never get offended.

I'm far too much of a prick for that.
That's good to know. Then you'll only be annoyed rather than offended when I sometimes disagree with you. :D

jw1815 wrote:

Well, now you have to mention it.

It was in Italian and referred to his role as leader of the group. Meant as humor, but potentially offensive more for political reasons than ethnic ones.
Last edited by jw1815 on Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
jw1815

Post by jw1815 »

Michelle, Min, Dannon, and Sam:

Thanks for the welcome. It's good to have a place for sharing thoughts and information of interest to us.