Suggestion

Tell us what you think about your visit to our site!

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist, JPeters

RawheaD

Suggestion

Post by RawheaD »

Hi. Love your site. I check it daily. One suggestion (or, should I say, feature request?). Could you please provide an RSS feed for the site? That would be most fantastic. Thanks, and keep up the terrific work!

Re: Suggestion

Post by Guest »

RawheaD wrote:Hi. Love your site. I check it daily. One suggestion (or, should I say, feature request?). Could you please provide an RSS feed for the site? That would be most fantastic. Thanks, and keep up the terrific work!

Yes, a RSS feed would be useful.

Why the podcast but no RSS ?
RawheaD

BUMP!

Post by RawheaD »

Hi, just wanted to get this back up there... I'm still waiting for an RSS feed. I get all my news via RSS nowadays. That means I often miss out on updates on this site because I don't do the "routine run" to bookmarked sites any more.

It can't be much harder than Podcasting, and definitely cheaper to implement. Please, pretty-please consider feeding us RSS hungry geeks! :-)

Love the site as usual without it, but I'd MARRY the site if it would do RSS.

Thanks.
Frank Harrist

Post by Frank Harrist »

Uuhhhhh.....what's RSS? :?
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

What is RSS?
RSS stands for Real Simple Syndication and is an XML specification that allows content providers (basically anybody with a web site) to provide a portion or all of their content via text files that can be easily re-formatted by others. RSS facilitates the ability for services such as Squeet to pull content from a variety of different content providers and provide that content to you via email.
Frank Harrist

Post by Frank Harrist »

Thanks, Bob. :)
RawheaD

RSS cont.

Post by RawheaD »

I'd like to add. Not only E-mail, but RSS content can be browsed in web browsers like Safari and Firefox (with an "extension") as well as with RSS ticker software. Personally I go the Safari route but many like the idea of tickers.

For what an RSS feed might look in Safari, check out this page:

http://www.macdevcenter.com/pub/a/mac/2 ... i_rss.html

For an example of a ticker software:

http://edit.ticker.yahoo.com/config/slv4_page?.p=ticker

For example, I currently have an RSS group I call "World News" on Safari. I'm subscribed to the New York Times, Washington Post, and CNN.com's RSS feeds. When I click on that in my browser, I get to see all the new headlines and part (or in some cases the whole) of the article contents in one page. If there is an article I want to read further, I can click on it and jump to that page. If the healine and the first few sentences aren't inspiring, I ignore it.

I have another RSS group called "Tech news" subsribed to 9 different sources, including Wired.com and Sci-Tech today... you get the idea.

The great thing about this is that whenever there's an update to the feed, and my browser checks for updates every 30 minutes or so, it shows up on my browser (as numbers next to the link indicating the number of unread articles there are). I never have to go to a website just to see if it's been updated.

Now, I want to make another group. I'd call it Science. In it, I'd like to have BBC.com's Science/Nature RSS. And of course, Archaeologica.org. That would be fantastic.

I hope I've made clear how useful this technology is.
Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist »

Yes, but, it seems to be hard enough to keep the servers we have going. Are you sure you aren't trying to install a jet engine on a bi-plane?

:D
RawheaD

Post by RawheaD »

>>Are you sure you aren't trying to install a jet engine on a bi-plane?

It's not like that at all. A better analogy would be installing an upper brake light on a car that doesn't have one. By increasing the visibility of your brake lights, you reduce the risk of a rear-end collision -- a benefit to both you AND those driving behind you.

For more information on RSS and its benefits as well as pointers on how to incorporate the technology, please take a look at the following useful site.

http://www.mnot.net/rss/tutorial/